[comp.sys.atari.st] 1040 problem

willett@cbnewsl.att.com (david.c.willett) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar25.233948.9039@ims.alaska.edu>, fnjlh1@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS JAY L) writes:
> then locks up with the dread black screen syndrome. Cold booting immediately
> doesn't help. If left alone for 2-3 hours, it will boot and run ok.
>    Any suggestions welcomed, or similar symptoms and cures. Sounds like
> someone is getting warm and flaking out, but before I can opener it encore
> and douche it with heat gun and cool spray, I'd appreciate any and all help.
>    I do realize that Mr ZRAM sits on the video shifter, and it probably runs
> hotter than it did at 1M, but I can't see how the video shifty could screw up
> a cold boot, but there's lots I can't see, I wear glasses.
>    Thanks     j harris

This looks like a portion of a submission, so forgive if I missed something.
I had a similar problem with my 1040 ST (1 meg) a couple years ago.  I found
out the problem went away when I moved to a house with more dependable
power and I got a better surge protector.  Did you know that on the STs the
sound chip is connected to the peripheral processor?  I don't recall the
details but I remember being suprised that programs "use" the sound chip
without generating any noise.

	DCW