[comp.sys.atari.st] 1 year warranty and stuff

mc4c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Choi) (03/21/91)

	ATari supposedly updated their warranty to one year. Is this
retroactive? I have some problems w/ STacy (that occured in 90 warranty,
but I never got a chance to bring it in) and I would wlike to get them
taken care of. The track ball sticks all the time, one of the plactic
covers arrived broken, and worst of all, the LCD screen has become loose
on one side. I could probably take the baby apart and fix it myself, but
if it is now still under warranty, why bother.
	Does anyone know if GBS is still working on an internal Spectre. The
external one is a real pain in the ass for the STacy, with that floppy
wire tangling things up, the power cord (There is NO Stacy battery from
Atari!) hanging off, and the cartridge almost breaking off every time I
lift the machine. It's a mess. D. Small was supposedly talking about
piggybacking a Spectre to the TOS ROMS. Where did this ever go?
	I still need a copy os STOS/SCULPT, by the way.
	Also, just read some stuff about GEOWORKS, talked about here a while
back. It seems like a great implementation of  Motif, and Atari should
do something similar. It does preemtive multitasking (with DOS!),
supports most graphics standards, needs minimal memory, and is fast. It
will give Bill Gates a run for his money.
	Since Atari is supposedly going to use Motif for the vapourware Atari
UNIX, Why not bag GEM for the STe's and MEGA's as well?
	While I'm in this mode, lets have a vote. Should Atari bag backward
compatibility (except for software emulation) and design a great
operating system from the ground up, or go with Mach or something, and
do it right this time? Or should they continue to try to update TOS,
which is obsolete, and as a CP/M clone, is archaic and all but dead IMO.
I know all the old programs would have to be rewritten, but then maybe
we could get a really powerful machine, with a much nicer GUI. I mean,
the hardware is O.K.. Send to my account and I will compile.

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (03/21/91)

mc4c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Choi) writes:

- ATari supposedly updated their warranty to one year.

From whom did you hear this?

- Does anyone know if GBS is still working on an internal Spectre.

Still working?  I didn't know they were working on one.  Have you
called GBS and asked them?

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

mc4c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Choi) (03/24/91)

As per the one year warranty, I do believe I read it on ZNET
As per the internal board, straigh out of the mouth of dave himself,
quite awhile back, before Apple pulled the ROM sillyness. I can't afford
to call colorado all the time to keep up with him, though! He said he
was thinking about the possiblility of hooing into the TOS?GEM ROM space!

				-GEISHA-

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (03/25/91)

>As per the one year warranty, I do believe I read it on ZNET

I believe the 1-year warranty is being offered by Atari Canada...

BobR

chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) (03/27/91)

never fom the us mogals
----
ProLine:  chuckie@pro-odyssey
Internet: chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie@nosc.mil

bud@ms.uky.edu (William K Glunt) (03/28/91)

In article <8218@crash.cts.com> chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) writes:

>never fom the us mogals
>----

 Hmmmm.  Hard to argue with THAT.

 Bud

--
Dr. William K Glunt     | Are you ABNORMAL?
Heh heh nice ring to it!| Then you are probably better than most people!