[comp.sys.atari.st] STE DMA bug

jharres@sleepy.bmd.trw.com (03/27/91)

Well I finally got bit last night.  The wonderful STE DMA (read harddrive)
bug got me.  After doing a couple hours of work on the computer with probably
25 or so disk accesses it gave me the "somethings wrong with the disk drive"
alert.  I then could no longer see the partitions even though the hard disk
driver would run.  I have an ICD plus host adapter and a syquest drive.
   Does this error (the STE DMA problem) always hammer the disk in the same
manner?  If so, what is necessary to go and recover the drive.  No I didn't
have a backup as I've had it only 2 weeks and wasn't sure if I liked my
layout yet.  (Lesson learned though :-(  ).
  I'll be contacting Atari about a warranty problem in the mean time.

Thanks for any help.

Jim Harres          jharres@doc.bmd.trw.com

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (03/28/91)

Distribution:world

In article <1311.27f053cf@sleepy.bmd.trw.com> jharres@sleepy.bmd.trw.com writes:
> Well I finally got bit last night.  The wonderful STE DMA (read harddrive)
> bug got me.  After doing a couple hours of work on the computer with probably
> 25 or so disk accesses it gave me the "somethings wrong with the disk drive"
> alert.  I then could no longer see the partitions even though the hard disk
> driver would run.  I have an ICD plus host adapter and a syquest drive.
>    Does this error (the STE DMA problem) always hammer the disk in the same
> manner?  If so, what is necessary to go and recover the drive.  No I didn't
> have a backup as I've had it only 2 weeks and wasn't sure if I liked my
> layout yet.  (Lesson learned though :-(  ).
>   I'll be contacting Atari about a warranty problem in the mean time.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Jim Harres          jharres@doc.bmd.trw.com

Well this has happened to me, was helping a friend that has just got
a STE, and was using my Drive connected to a Mega File 30, had
problems with this, the Mega File 30 would not connect to me Drive with
a Supra Host adapter
It had to be Atati to Mega File 30, then my Drive, this I can't understand..

Well after the 3rd STE, all different faults, The Directories of the
Mega File and mine where damaged, This was caused by the last but one
STE , we now have a STE that works..!!

With a use of a program, was able to Fix the Mega File 30.

But the big problem is that the data in the Directory of my 'C', Partition
are moved 2 bytes to the left, a total of say 6 sectors.

Is there a Util that can move the Data back , all the sector editors
that I have tried just over type, there is no insert mode !!

I don't realy want to retype over 3000 bytes..

Can some one Help !!

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...