[comp.sys.atari.st] Unix on the TT

depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Sam Alan EZUST) (10/29/89)

I hear that there will be two versions of the tt:
one "tower" model very much reminicent of the model 80 and another
"desktop" model....
Apparently, the tower comes with more memory than the desktop, and maybe
a larger hard disk.... that's nice.

but my father read me aloud an ST-World article about this infamous computer
where I thought i heard this:
THE DESKTOP MODEL WILL NEVER WORK WITH UNIX
only the TOWER will....

if this is true, WHY?????

In what other ways will the two versions be non software compatible??

Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com (11/09/89)

Richard Covert writes:

> Ken, I have made this comment on GEnie, but briefly I think that the
> TT could be a killer machine if two things are done:

> 1) It must be an OPEN system with plenty of card slots for third party vendor
>    addons. This is really an important feature for an expensive workstation
>    class machine.

	Why?

	DEC and Sun have a serious lock on this market, and they both
	sell *lots* of workstations without any busses at all.

> 2) It must have AT&T System V Release 4.0 UNIX with X Windows. AT&T has
>    publicly announced binary compatibility between all Sys V Rel 4 UNIX
>    on the same cpu. So, with X Windows you have a common platform to develop
>    applications for many different machines. This means that the TT Tower
>    could run programs from Sun or maybe even Apple.

	It's 1989 and UN*X still sucks. Maybe someday it will grow up
	and become a real operating system. When it gets a distributed
	lock manager and indexed files and asynchronous system traps and...

	I'm not interested in an OS that was designed as a word processing
	system for secretaries in the Dark Ages of Computing.

> I have heard rumors that Atari is going to buy some strange non-AT&T UNIX
> type OS w/o X Windows.

	The X Window System (_not_ "X Windows", there is no such thing) will
	run under MANY OSs. It is not, by any means, limited to UN*X. It
	runs perfectly well under God's Own Operating System, VMS.

> Especially if the TT/Tower is cheaper
> then a Sun or an Apple Mac A/UX system.

	Well, when THEY can get cheaper than a DECstation 3100, please
	let me know. And I guarantee you that MIPS processor will eat
	the Sun's lunch, let alone a Macintosh...
				- hbm
Henry B. Messenger                    henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
Digital Equipment Corporation isn't responsible for anything I say on Usenet
                 "Hello, I know that you've been feeling tired.
                  I bring you love and deeper understanding."

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (03/25/91)

Is it possible to buy a TT and run Unix (and possibly) X Windows right now
as I type? And again, is the LAN port being used yet?

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 minutes!"              !

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (03/29/91)

In article <2620@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:

>Is it possible to buy a TT and run Unix (and possibly) X Windows right now
>as I type? And again, is the LAN port being used yet?

 First to LAN: If you use Spectre, the Mac-emulator in your TT, you can
use LAN as AppleTalk, just plug and play, it is 100% compatible!
Other ways: I haven't found anything yet...

And  Unix: My friend received mail from his friend, and there was following
information:
200Mb harddisk with Unix installed -> to replace the TT internal drive
 = $1600.00

I hope I remember correctly. I don't remember any details about this
Unix-package...

				Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***