[comp.sys.atari.st] Basic hardware upgrade help / resources sought

slp9m@cc.usu.edu (03/27/91)

While I have been a 1040 ST owner for several years, I have never
really been in touch with the ST world.  I bought the machine and
put it to work on a few simple tasks which it has been performing
faithfully for about the past four years.  Recently, thanks in a
good measure to this newsgroup, I have decided to get more use out
of the ol' Atari.  As a result of this increased activity, I am
now desirous of upgrading the system and am looking for some
expert information and/or pointers to same.  While I have picked
up on related threads in this newsgroup, I am constantly reading
assumptions that may or may not be correct into the postings.  I
really need to start back at square one on a lot of these issues.
(I say square one in regards to my familiarity with the particular
machine, not computers in general.)

Here are the most urgent issues:

1. Memory upgrades.  How to do them.  What are the alternatives (I
gather from what I read that there's more than one method)?

2. Adding hard drives.  What type of drives work?  What kind of
controller do I need.  Who makes a good controller and where do I
get one?  I prefer to assemble one from a controller, drive, etc.
as opposed to a plug & play model.

Then there are some others, not quite as urgent:

3. OS upgrades.  I am running TOS 1.0.  I assume this means
changing the ROMs.  Is this true?  Where do I get a set?  Maybe
this should be in the urgent category, but I don't know better.

4. Mouse alternatives.  I hate the switches in my original Atari
mouse.  Are there other mice that work?  I just popped the mouse
open and it appears to be a simple matter to change the switches,
if I can find better ones.  If anyone knows of a good source for
better switches, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

All advice is welcome.  However, I am sure that most of the
information I seek has been well documented in a number of places.
I would especially appreciate receiving references to books and
articles (as well as good places to obtain same).  I also need to
be advised of recommendable sources for mail order hardware.

E-mail or, in cases where it seems appropriate, posted responses
are welcome.

Based on my past experience with this group, I feel completely
justified in offering many, many thanks in advance.

#        Scott E. Parker   WA7VYJ         # INTERNET: SLP9M@cc.usu.edu     #
# Center for Atmospheric & Space Sciences # Twisted pair: (801) 750-2975   #
#          Utah State University          #         Home: (801) 753-3924   #
#         Logan, UT    84322-4405         #                                #

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar26.174120.47166@cc.usu.edu> slp9m@cc.usu.edu writes:
>...Here are the most urgent issues:
>4. Mouse alternatives.  I hate the switches in my original Atari
>mouse.  Are there other mice that work?

For those of you who aren't aware, Logitech has come out with the "Logitech
ST" mouse - I know that B&C Computervisions in Santa Clara has it ($59.95),
and Microtyme advertised it recently in one of the magazines.  The Logitech
mice for the PC are well-regarded, I have no reason to believe the ST mouse
isn't equally nice.  It's good to see a major company jumping into the ST
marketplace...
 # Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill  #
 # Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond OS/2!!  #
 ######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!######