[comp.sys.atari.st] Uniterm & Kermit

ty@ais.org (Ty Zucker) (03/19/91)

Help!  I'm having big problems trying to get Uniterm to download
files with kermit.  Can someone send me a detailed message on what to
do?

Thanks

Ty Zucker  -  ty@ais.org   |   Never mistake asthma for passion  |
                           |   and vice versa.                   |

badorion@watyew.uwaterloo.ca (Brian A. Dorion) (03/20/91)

In article <2KY-+Z@irie.ais.org> ty@ais.org (Ty Zucker) writes:
>Help!  I'm having big problems trying to get Uniterm to download
>files with kermit.  Can someone send me a detailed message on what to
>do?

I'd be interested in any advice people have as well.  I download some-
thing to my ST, and when I try to unarc it, the arc usually comes up
with a comment like "This uses 13 bits I can only handle 12."  Can anyone
tell me why the files I try to downloaded after ftp'ing keep getting
smashed?  The text files are ok, its just the binaries that are getting
creamed.

Brian Dorion
Kitchener, Ontario
Canada

jbernat@bgsuvax.UUCP (Jim Bernatowicz) (03/20/91)

From article <1991Mar20.114315.19825@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by badorion@watyew.uwaterloo.ca (Brian A. Dorion):

>>Help!  I'm having big problems trying to get Uniterm to download
>>files with kermit.  Can someone send me a detailed message on what to
>>do?
>
> I'd be interested in any advice people have as well.  I download some-
> thing to my ST, and when I try to unarc it, the arc usually comes up
> with a comment like "This uses 13 bits I can only handle 12."  Can anyone
> tell me why the files I try to downloaded after ftp'ing keep getting
> smashed?  The text files are ok, its just the binaries that are getting
> creamed.

I suspect you did not tell the remote kermit server to send in Binary
mode.  Both the local and remote systems MUST be set to binary mode because
the default is text.  (LF's are converted to LF/CR or the other way around.)

SET FILE TYPE BINARY

Enter the above command for both the remote and local kermit.  If you
are using Kermit to Xfer files from a Vax, you may wish to look for
sx,sb,sz (Send Xmodem, Batch (Ymodem), Zmodem, respectively.)  Also,
rx,rb,rz are the receive counterparts.  Once I found these, I found
Kermit to be too annoying and slow to deal with.

redmond+@cs.cmu.edu (Redmond English) (03/21/91)

 >>Help!  I'm having big problems trying to get Uniterm to download
 >>files with kermit.  Can someone send me a detailed message on what to
 >>do?
 >>
 >I'd be interested in any advice people have as well.  I download some-
 >thing to my ST, and when I try to unarc it, the arc usually comes up
 >with a comment like "This uses 13 bits I can only handle 12."  Can anyone
 >tell me why the files I try to downloaded after ftp'ing keep getting
 >smashed?  The text files are ok, its just the binaries that are getting
 >creamed.

  You are probably not setting binary mode on either on or both ends.
  The kermit server can be set to binary with:  set file type binary
  and the uniterm end can be set to binary mode by clicking on the
  "Binary Mode" button.

                    "It works for me!"

                               Red/.

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.114315.19825@watdragon.waterloo.edu> badorion@watyew.uwaterloo.ca (Brian A. Dorion) writes:

>I'd be interested in any advice people have as well.  I download some-
>thing to my ST, and when I try to unarc it, the arc usually comes up
>with a comment like "This uses 13 bits I can only handle 12."  Can anyone
>tell me why the files I try to downloaded after ftp'ing keep getting
>smashed?  The text files are ok, its just the binaries that are getting
>creamed.

Just as an experiment, try uuencoding the file first, then transfer
it the the ST, UUDecode it, and then try ARC.

If you still have the same problem, the trouble might be with your
deARCer.

If the problem goes away, you were probably not getting a faithful
transfer of the binary (ARC) file.

--
Prof L.J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, U of Waterloo, Canada N2L 3G1
	Internet:	ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu

goo@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Michael Goo) (03/23/91)

Try using kermit's binary mode ( -i I think)

wolf@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Wolfgang Huwig) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar20.114315.19825@watdragon.waterloo.edu> badorion@watyew.uwaterloo.ca (Brian A. Dorion) writes:

>In article <2KY-+Z@irie.ais.org> ty@ais.org (Ty Zucker) writes:
>>Help!  I'm having big problems trying to get Uniterm to download
>>files with kermit.  Can someone send me a detailed message on what to
>>do?
>>
>I'd be interested in any advice people have as well.  I download some-
>thing to my ST, and when I try to unarc it, the arc usually comes up
>with a comment like "This uses 13 bits I can only handle 12."  Can anyone
>tell me why the files I try to downloaded after ftp'ing keep getting
>smashed?  The text files are ok, its just the binaries that are getting
>creamed.

Sometimes I had a similar problem while downloading bigger archives from
our VAX. The transfered file was about 30% bigger than the original and
(guess!) it got broken, no matter what sort of archive. I'm shure the
kermit settings were correct. After wasting some time with unsuccessful
downloads, I decided to use another program which also has a built-in
kermit, but I miss the enhanced features of uniterm.
Anyone got an idea what could be wrong? (Btw. sometimes the transfer
completed successfully, using the same settings!?)

Wolfgang

| Wolfgang Huwig    |   intelligent    | FB 14 Informatik IV         |
+ CS Dept./AI Lab   |      remark      | Universitaet des Saarlandes |
| wolf@cs.uni-sb.de |    goes here     | D-6600 Saarbruecken 11      |
+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------+

mberkley@active.uvic.ca (Mike Berkley) (03/25/91)

> On 24 Mar 91 16:30:15 GMT, wolf@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Wolfgang Huwig) said:

WH> I'm shure the kermit settings were correct.  (Btw. sometimes the
WH> transfer completed successfully, using the same settings!?)

Would you be using a 7-bit line by any chance?

There is a bug in Uniterm's implementation of kermit which was not
discovered until C Kermit 4E came out (and after Simon stopped
development of Uniterm).

In the negotiation phase, the two kermits decide upon characters to
use for 8th bit quoting, repeat prefix, etc.  What happens is this:

	- Uniterm says it wants to use '&'

	- C Kermit replies (correctly!) with 'Y', meaning "yes, '&' is
	  OK for me"

	- Uniterm incorrectly interprets this to mean "we need to use
	  'Y' instead of '&'"

The solution?  If you initiate the transfer from Uniterm (i.e. server
mode on mainframe, doing gets from Uniterm), set Uniterm's 8th bit
quote character to 'Y'.

Mike Berkley
University of Victoria
mberkley@sirius@UVic.CA

wrightgr@mwk.uucp (Greg Wright) (03/30/91)

>>>Help!  I'm having big problems trying to get Uniterm to download
>>>files with kermit.  Can someone send me a detailed message on what to
>>>do?
>>>
>>I'd be interested in any advice people have as well.  I download some-
>>thing to my ST, and when I try to unarc it, the arc usually comes up
>>with a comment like "This uses 13 bits I can only handle 12."  Can anyone
>>tell me why the files I try to downloaded after ftp'ing keep getting
>>smashed?  The text files are ok, its just the binaries that are getting
>>creamed.
>
> Sometimes I had a similar problem while downloading bigger archives from
> our VAX. The transfered file was about 30% bigger than the original and
> (guess!) it got broken, no matter what sort of archive. I'm shure the
> kermit settings were correct. After wasting some time with unsuccessful
> downloads, I decided to use another program which also has a built-in
> kermit, but I miss the enhanced features of uniterm.
> Anyone got an idea what could be wrong? (Btw. sometimes the transfer
> completed successfully, using the same settings!?)

This might be a little late, but I've been away for a few weeks.  Anyway, if
your going through a VAX system you have to change the format of the file to
fixed length records before you download.  If you don't, it changes all
linefeeds to carriage return-linefeeds.  I don't know how other systems handle
it.

There is a program called BILF for the VAX to do the conversion for you.   BILF
changes your file from stream-linefeed format to 512 fixed format and
vice-versa.  I don't like using 512 fixed length though because it pads the end
of the file with nulls to fill out the last record.  I wrote my own conversion
program to use 1 byte fixed length records so that when you get it downloaded it
has the correct length in the directory listing.

Hope this helps,
Greg Wright
--
Internet: wrightgr@mwk.uucp             /M\            The M.W. Kellogg Company
UUCP:     uhnix1!mwk!wrightgr         KELLOGG          601 Jefferson