[comp.sys.atari.st] Help with atari.archive

garrick@jobs.mso.colostate.edu (Kevin O. Garrick) (03/27/91)

I hope that someone can help me out.  I am relatively new to the news
group and have read quite a bit about atari.archive, but I am unable
to find any information on how to find it.  Could someone please send
a short reply telling me where atari.archive is and what I need to do
in order to use it?  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.

Kevin Garrick
garrick@greyrock.mso.colostate.edu

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (03/28/91)

In article <GARRICK.91Mar26173454@greyrock.jobs.mso.colostate.edu> garrick@jobs.mso.colostate.edu (Kevin O. Garrick) writes:
>group and have read quite a bit about atari.archive, but I am unable
>to find any information on how to find it.  Could someone please send
>a short reply telling me where atari.archive is and what I need to do
>in order to use it?  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.
>
>Kevin Garrick
>garrick@greyrock.mso.colostate.edu

The complete address for atari.archive is atari.archive.umich.edu
and all you have to do is:

ftp atari.archive.umich.edu <ret>

and when the connected... answer arrives and the "your name: (garrick)"
follows, type in "anonymous" <ret>, and then it asks your password,
type in "garrick@greyrock.mso.colostate.edu".
Then "guest login OK, restrictions appear" appears, and the prompt
"ftp>" follows.
You are in now.
This is called "anonymous FTP", (FTP = File Transfer Protocol), and it is
widely used for up- and downloading PD, SW and FW -> free stuff.

The basic ftp commands you need are:
	cd  changes the directory like in MS-DOS or Unix
	dir or ls  lists the contents of the directory, wildcards can be used
	bin  sets the transmission to binary mode, use for packed files and
	     executable programs and other non-ascii files.
	asc  sets the transmission to ascii mode, default
	get  transfers the file given after this command to you
	put  transfers your file to the remote-end
	mget  like get, but takes many, wildcards can be used
	mput  like put, ..........
	quit  you know...

You can get help about the rest of the commands by typing "?" or "help" in
ftp.

In atari.archive there is a file in the /atari/ -directory called Index,
that holds the names and descriptions of the files available.

It may well be completed now, few days ago there was still some work to do.

ftp is a quite good tool, just find out about it. Try to find a manual or
something about it, it is worth it!

			Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (03/28/91)

In <1991Mar27.161655.15195@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:

>The complete address for atari.archive is atari.archive.umich.edu
>and all you have to do is:

>ftp atari.archive.umich.edu <ret>

or, if that fails, try the port address:

	ftp 141.211.164.8

Warwick.
--
  _--_|\   	warwick@cs.uq.oz.au
 /      *  <--	Computer Science Department,

paulm@unix.UUCP (Owner and User) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar27.161655.15195@santra.uucp>, s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
[...]
> The complete address for atari.archive is atari.archive.umich.edu
> and all you have to do is:
>
> ftp atari.archive.umich.edu <ret>
[...]

  I here that BART is back on line but I have yet to get some response from
  it.   Could some one please post the UUCP address of atari.archive.umich.edu.

  I can get to uunet so an address relitive to that would be great.   I have
  sent 3 requests for help but have not even received any bounced mail.  That
  must mean that I'm getting somewhere but the requests are falling in the
  'bit bucket'.
  Thanx in Advance,
     Paul Moreau
-----
UUCP: ..!ccicpg!unix!paulm
                ^^^^
   BTW: my machine will soon have a real name not just unix.
-----

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (03/31/91)

[In article <128@unix.UUCP>,
     paulm@unix.UUCP (Owner and User) writes ... ]

>   I here that BART is back on line but I have yet to get some response from
>   it.   Could some one please post the UUCP address of atari.archive.umich.edu.
>
>   I can get to uunet so an address relitive to that would be great.   I have
>   sent 3 requests for help but have not even received any bounced mail.  That
>   must mean that I'm getting somewhere but the requests are falling in the
>   'bit bucket'.
>   Thanx in Advance,
>      Paul Moreau
> -----
> UUCP: ..!ccicpg!unix!paulm
>                 ^^^^
>    BTW: my machine will soon have a real name not just unix.

I haven't checked the maps, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that ``unix''
is registered *somewhere* ... I would advise that you not even try to send/
receive mail until you pick a permanent name.

Assuming you don't have a smart mailer, you should be able to use the
bang-path To: ccicpg!uunet!atari.archive.umich.edu!atari to reach BART.
Start your message with the following line:

path uunet.uu.net!ccicpg!<whatever-you-decide-on>!paulm

... and BART should be able to find you.

If you have a smart mailer, just user atari@atari.archive.umich.edu

BART doesn't send error messages, so you won't get any bounced mail unless
an intermediate site can't find the Internet (which isn't likely if you have
a path to UUNET).

Good luck!

----
  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve
  GEnie: S.YELVINGTO2               Delphi: YELVINGTON