[comp.sys.atari.st] Type faster than write?

johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.163030.4500@ccu.umanitoba.ca> bright@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Bob Bright) writes:
>[...]
>	This sounds pretty nifty, but will the machine also allow a
>normal keyboard to be plugged in?  The HCR interface would be very
>handy for portable use, but I can type a lot faster than I can write,
>and it would be nice to have the option available.
>[...]

	I agree that you can probably type a paragraph of prose faster
than you can write it out by hand.  But what about a mathematical proof or
the solution to a physics problem with all its special symbols?  I also
move the cursor up and down a lot when I type, and that takes quite a bit
of time, relatively speaking.  I think in some circumstances, I would be
more productive if I could use a pen instead of a keyboard.   I think I
can type a paragraph faster than I can write it, but I think I could
write a page faster than I could type it.

--
John Schmitt
johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

pwp@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Paul Purdom) (03/31/91)

Once you get use to TeX you can type math faster and neater than you can
write it long hand. Also, although text editors are not good symbolic
algebra systems, they can go substitutions so they are of some use.