[comp.sys.atari.st] Need a cooling fan for my 1040ST with ZRAM upgrade

pbh@jake.cc.wayne.edu (Patrick Haggood) (03/27/91)

> J. Harris writes about how his ST with ZRAM stops running after a few
> hours, then when left off for 2-3 hours, boots fine.

I've been having the same problems with my ST.  I figured it was heat,
but I can't seem to find a fan for the thing.  I remember a device
called COM-COOL that sat on top of the Commodore 1541 disk drive, someone
recommended that I get this as it fit nicely on a 1040.  But, I CANT
FIND ONE ANYWHERE!  I need a fan that sits right over the power supply
on the 1040 (where I could probably fry eggs if I wanted to), but the
supply also has to have its own power pack, as I don't want to tax the
power supply any more than I am already.

Shoulda just bought the damned STE.  Still might.  Anybody know if
Kuma's Occam compiler, Minix, Maple, C Breeze or MT-C shell break on the
STE?
--
Patrick B. Haggood
Wayne STate University

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (03/31/91)

In <1991Mar26.192606.8264@cs.wayne.edu> pbh@jake.cc.wayne.edu (Patrick Haggood) writes:

>> J. Harris writes about how his ST with ZRAM stops running after a few
>> hours, then when left off for 2-3 hours, boots fine.

>I've been having the same problems with my ST.  I figured it was heat,

It could be heat affecting the memory board, heat from the power supply
spreading through the metal shielding and motherboard, or the Atari power
supply is pushing its limits.

By far the most heat in the computer is the power supply. I haven't
calculated the power loss in that supply but it doesn't look very efficient.
There are two choices available. A fan was already mentioned. The best place
in a 1040 for a fan is just to the right of the power supply, blowing upwards.
A good fan would draw most of its air from the side where the power supply is.
Venting slats also have to be opened up in order to get a reasonable airflow.

I chose the other (and probably simpler) solution. I removed the power supply
altogether and fitted a diskdrive power connector where the switch used to be.
Plug in any off-the-shelf power supply and go. All the heat is outside where it
belongs, also there is no danger of accidently pulling out the (DC) power cord
because it is a snap fit. I have room in the computer box now for an internal
hard disk and am not restricted to using the standard Atari PSU with all its
shortcomings. If the standard PSU must be used it can be mounted in an aluminum
box. To avoid RFI leakage it is a good idea to use a screened cable for the DC
power and close with metal the hole where the AC power cord used to plug in.

I hope this will help someone.
--
Adam David.  (adamd@rhi.hi.is)

d_alvear@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dom Alvear) (04/01/91)

>> J. Harris writes about how his ST with ZRAM stops running after a few
>> hours, then when left off for 2-3 hours, boots fine.
>
>I've been having the same problems with my ST.  I figured it was heat,
>but I can't seem to find a fan for the thing.  I remember a device
>called COM-COOL that sat on top of the Commodore 1541 disk drive, someone
>recommended that I get this as it fit nicely on a 1040.  But, I CANT
>FIND ONE ANYWHERE!  I need a fan that sits right over the power supply
>on the 1040 (where I could probably fry eggs if I wanted to), but the
>supply also has to have its own power pack, as I don't want to tax the
>power supply any more than I am already.

[stuff deleted...]

>Patrick B. Haggood
>Wayne STate University
>Detroit, MI
>Physics - Class of 1991 (-2?)

This was posted some time ago on comp.sys.atari.st.

Installing a fan on my 1040ST was a sinch.  First, I took the sucker apart.
(Warranty???  What warranty???  Oh yeah, do this 91 days after you buy the
machine.)  There is a beautiful place to mount the fan between the power
supply and the disk drive right on top of the RF shielding.  I just cut a
hole there about 2"x2" and mounted the fan with 4 screws.  Since it was
a 12V DC fan, I just connected one wire to the +12V spot on the power supply
and the other to the negative spot.  These are labeled on the power supply
so you should have no trouble finding them.  Then I put the thing back
together.  It fits perfectly.  Just go to your local Radio Shack and buy
the fan.  I think they have 2 models that will fit in this small space.  I
can't remember the part number.  It is about 3"x3"x1.5".  It is really
quiet too if you put a small resistor inline or a potentiometer to slow the
fan down a bit.  Even at full speed, however, the bugger is relatively
quiet compared to a pee cee fan.  Bonne chance!

Chris Mauritz
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

Hope this helps!

Dom Alvear