[comp.sys.atari.st] memory problems

fnjlh1@acad3.alaska.edu (HARRIS JAY L) (03/31/91)

     While chasing some problem that caused intermittent lockup w/ black screen,
after trying heat and cool spray, and getting random bomb numbers, I finally
removed the ZRAM, removed the MMU, treated the little pins w/ Cramolin (neat
stuff), and reinserted. I tried to be carefull and worked on a static mat, tried
to account for the little interrupt insulation that the ZRAM uses on one pin,
but still ended up with .5M instead of the normal unenhanced 1M. I found this
very discouraging.
    Is there a specific pin that addresses each bank of memory, and where,
as exactly as possible might it be on the mmu? Or should I bark up another
tree entirely? I also fiddled with the video shifter in the ZRAM removal if thart
could be implicated.
    Thanks for any help. Stuck on my wife's 1M st... J Harris

kclenden@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Kevin Clendenien) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar30.204831.12866@ims.alaska.edu> fnjlh1@acad3.alaska.edu writes:

>     While chasing some problem that caused intermittent lockup w/ black screen,
>after trying heat and cool spray, and getting random bomb numbers, I finally
>removed the ZRAM, removed the MMU, treated the little pins w/ Cramolin (neat
>stuff), and reinserted. I tried to be carefull and worked on a static mat, tried
>to account for the little interrupt insulation that the ZRAM uses on one pin,
>but still ended up with .5M instead of the normal unenhanced 1M. I found this
>very discouraging.
>    Is there a specific pin that addresses each bank of memory, and where,
>as exactly as possible might it be on the mmu? Or should I bark up another
>tree entirely? I also fiddled with the video shifter in the ZRAM removal if thart
>could be implicated.
>    Thanks for any help. Stuck on my wife's 1M st... J Harris

Here are the trouble shooting instructions from my ZRAM board:

MACHINE BOOTS FINE WITH NO EXTRA MEMORY:  Visually check every RAM
chip pin to make sure no pins are bent or out of the socket.  This
is very common.  Other possibility is pingrid board is not making
contact.  Reseat pingrid board.  If problem still persists make
sure epoxy is still on the two pins of the pingrid board.  If off,
follow directions below.

PULLING THE BOARDS OUT.  AIRGAPS LEFT:  If you pull out the pingrid
board and try to boot up the ST, you will not be able to do so
because of the two epoxied pins leaving air-gaps in the contacts.
Inorder to fix this, pull out the MMU chip and take a pointed
razor blade and pull the socket contact out towards the MMU.

EPOXY FALLEN OFF:  Follow above directions to pull out the MMU chip.
Inspect the chip to make sure that all the MMU pins are straight and
do not short on the bottom.  Straighten with fingernails if needed.
Now get some electrical or masking tape and cut a very thin piece
and put it on the MMU socket contacts pin #8 and #18 where the
epoxied sides of the pingrid board go in.

According to the MMU pinout diagram the two epoxied pins, #8 and #18
are RAS0 and RAS1, respectively.

I had the same problem with my machine only recognizing .5 MB of
memory.  My problem was that the epoxy had come off pin #8.  If
the instructions above do not help, try calling the company.  They
were very friendly, and helpful to me.  ZRAM is made by:

Zubair Interfaces, Inc.
5243B Paramount Blvd.
Lakewood, CA 90712
(213) 408-6715
kclenden@silver.bacs.indiana.edu                          Kevin Clendenien
BLAST BBS - (812) 332-0573                                BLAST member
               "I want someone like you, only nicer."