[comp.sys.atari.st] amiga emulators

vernon@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Vernon Bowles) (02/22/91)

I have been told that there are Atari ST emulators available on the Amiga, but  are there any Amiga emulators avail. for the Atari? What about MAC emulators?   (No, I dont have an ST and Im not interested in getting into a flame-out over   Amiga vs. Atari).

It seems that there should be, considering the similarities in hardware.

-vcbowles@uokmax.uoknor.edu    /* WAR? Why can't we be friends? */

krzywdzi@infonode.ingr.com (Andrew S Krzywdzinski) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.212945.17672@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> vernon@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Vernon Bowles) writes:
>I have been told that there are Atari ST emulators available on the Amiga, but  are there any Amiga emulators avail. for the Atari? What about MAC emulators?   (No, I dont have an ST and Im not interested in getting into a flame-out over   Amiga vs. Atari).
>
>It seems that there should be, considering the similarities in hardware.
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a good one :-} Sure, they run on the same CPUs, but that's about all
the similarities in that department.

My opinion is that you could write an emulator for anything to run on
anything (within reason), but the ones that get written must make sense
from an "economical" point of view. That usually translates to existing
software on the emulee, and the relative power/price of the emuler (if you
excuse my language). Neither Amiga nor Atari has a decisive advantage
in terms of computing power over one another, and the software available
for both is roughly the same.
This is NOT the case for Atari-PC, Atari-Mac, or even Atari-C64 emulators
(for the reasons mentioned above).

-andrew krzywdzinski

chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) (03/27/91)

anybody seen the amiga emulators or know where i can get it?
----
ProLine:  chuckie@pro-odyssey
Internet: chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie@nosc.mil

mc4c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Choi) (03/28/91)

Every one repeat after me. There is no such thing, there is no such
thing, there is no such thing....

                -geisha-

P.S. The only thing that comes close as far as I know, is a program
called* an amiga emulator, that puts up the thought bubble for a little
bit, and then proptly posts the GURU message on the screen (Plus a natsy
anti amiga message). Not to much different that the real thing. Maybe it
is an amiga emulator after all. Cute.

daniel@hexagon.se (Daniel Deimert) (03/29/91)

Mark Choi writes:
)Every one repeat after me. There is no such thing, there is no such
)thing, there is no such thing....

Actually, I saw such an emulator at a local BBS once.  The archive was
approximately 300 kb, but I downloaded it anyway (at 300 bps!)--we all
know why--but the gizmo required an extra drive and a BLiTTER, and
since I had a 1040 STfm, I had none of these.
  The README claimed that the emulator would emulate (!) an Amiga 1000
but not the HAM mode, and not the sound, and not...  Perhaps it should
have stated what it would emulate instead. I never got that clear. ;-)
  Also, a copy of the Amiga Workbench was required.

The manual stated that there would be a commersial version available
soon (this was the PD ver.), but I haven't heard anything since.
Probably they gave up and bought an Amiga.  Seems the easiest thing to
do, and you can use both computers at the same time.  (That's *real*
multitasking, folks!)

Disclaimer: I live in my own reality, which isn't neccessarily yours. :-)

--
Daniel Deimert, daniel@hexagon.se or ...!sunic!kullmar!pkmab!hexagon!daniel

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (04/03/91)

In article <3303@hexagon.se>, daniel@hexagon.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:

> Probably they gave up and bought an Amiga.  Seems the easiest thing to
> do, and you can use both computers at the same time.  (That's *real*
> multitasking, folks!)

Strictly speaking that would be multi-processing, not multi-tasking...minor
difference.  Multitasking is where the CPU must divided its time between the
programs running (ala Amiga), while multiprocessing allows programs to run at
the same time (ala Atari Transputer, or similar device).

                                Troy Carpenter
                        Department of Computer Sciences
                        THE University of Texas, Austin
                              psurge@cs.utexas.edu

"You're so open minded that your brain leaked out" - Steve Taylor

*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The best thing in life costs exactly that <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*