[comp.sys.atari.st] Having trouble uncompressing .Z files

sbrown@bgsuvax.UUCP (Scott F. Brown) (04/01/91)

	I'm having trouble getting files to uncompress properly that have the
.Z extension.  I'm talking about the sound files on terminator.  I believe I
have the proper programs to uncompress them but I must be doing something
wrong.  I have followed the directions in the documentation but still have had
no luck.  Could someone please mail me any instructions on what I am doing
wrong(or better yet, how do I do it right!)  Thanks in advance

* Denn die Todten reiten shnell                                              *
* - B. Stoker                                   -Scott F. Brown              *
*                                                                            *
*                                              sbrown@andy.bgsu.edu.uucp     *

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (04/02/91)

++   I'm having trouble getting files to uncompress properly that have the
++   .Z extension.  I'm talking about the sound files on terminator.

Uncompressing .Z files requires using '-d' as an option to 'compress', e.g.

compress -d sndfile.Z

You should be able to find compress on atari.archive.umich.edu

ljdickey@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (04/04/91)

In article <7223@bgsuvax.UUCP> sbrown@bgsuvax.UUCP (Scott F. Brown) writes:

>	I'm having trouble getting files to uncompress properly that have the
>.Z extension.  I'm talking about the sound files on terminator.  I believe I
>have the proper programs to uncompress them but I must be doing something
>wrong.  I have followed the directions in the documentation but still have had
>no luck.  Could someone please mail me any instructions on what I am doing
>wrong(or better yet, how do I do it right!)  Thanks in advance

It could be that you are losing bits during transfer, either from terminator
to bgsuvax, or from bgsuvax to your atari.

Or it could be "uncompress" for the ST.  I believe that some
"uncompress" releases for the ST did not have the same capability
as compress on the vax.  In either case, this sequence might solve
your problem.  Try this:

	(1) trasfer your ".Z" file from terminator to bgsuvax
		dont forget to use binary mode.
	(2) use uncompress on bgsu to get the uncompressed file.
	(3) use UUE or uuencode on bgsu to get a mailable "text" file.
	(4) transfer the text file to your ST
	(5) use UUD on your ST to decode and get the sound files.

Good luck.

Prof L.J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, U of Waterloo, Canada  N2L 3G1
	Internet:	ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu
	UUCP:		ljdickey@watmath.UUCP	..!uunet!watmath!ljdickey
	X.400:		ljdickey@watmath.UWaterloo.ca
	BITNET:		ljdickey@watdcs.bitnet