[comp.sys.atari.st] Expansion cases - Compatibility with hardware?

SAMcinty@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Scott McIntyre) (04/01/91)

There are a number of companies here in the UK as well as on the
continent which offer some sort of a hardware expansion box for
the 520 and 1040...basically just a large empty box that you can
put your motherboard and most other things inside of...space for
several hard drives, floppies, etc..

My question is:  With the high number of graphics cards and add on
processors available for the Mega, would it be possible to invest in
one of these tower cases, then get the add on card and have it work,
even though the machine is still a 520 or 1040?

Anyone know?

Ta,
Scott
.

ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) (04/03/91)

In article <1243@exua.exeter.ac.uk> SAMcinty@exua.exeter.ac.uk
(Scott McIntyre) writes:

> My question is:  With the high number of graphics cards and add on
> processors available for the Mega, would it be possible to invest in
> one of these tower cases, then get the add on card and have it work,
> even though the machine is still a 520 or 1040?
I'm afraid it won't be as easy as you've said it. Most graphics cards need
to be connected to the internal connector of the Mega ST (so-called 'Mega-bus')
and 520 and 1040 do not have this connector. You'll need to build this
connector yourself...
/s/
--
Udo Erdelhoff                               smart: ue@nathan.ruhr.de
Am Westheck 170                             Fido:  Udo Erdelhoff on 2:245/52.1

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (04/03/91)

Distribution:world

In article <1243@exua.exeter.ac.uk> SAMcinty@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Scott McIntyre) writes:

> There are a number of companies here in the UK as well as on the
> continent which offer some sort of a hardware expansion box for
> the 520 and 1040...basically just a large empty box that you can
> put your motherboard and most other things inside of...space for
> several hard drives, floppies, etc..
>
> My question is:  With the high number of graphics cards and add on
> processors available for the Mega, would it be possible to invest in
> one of these tower cases, then get the add on card and have it work,
> even though the machine is still a 520 or 1040?
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Ta,
> Scott
> .

Well from what I read these Graphics cards use the Mega Buss, this is
not in a ST or STE...so could be a problem..

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (04/04/91)

>In article <1243@exua.exeter.ac.uk> SAMcinty@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Scott McIntyre) writes:
>> There are a number of companies here in the UK as well as on the
>> continent which offer some sort of a hardware expansion box for
>> the 520 and 1040...basically just a large empty box that you can
>> put your motherboard and most other things inside of...space for
>> several hard drives, floppies, etc..
>>
>> My question is:  With the high number of graphics cards and add on
>> processors available for the Mega, would it be possible to invest in
>> one of these tower cases, then get the add on card and have it work,
>> even though the machine is still a 520 or 1040?
>>
>> Anyone know?
>>
>> Ta,
>> Scott
>> .

There is a good graphics card for 1040 from Matrix GmbH...
If I remember correctly 800x600 with 256 colors on a 14"/16" multisync.

I currently have one of these towers, and I am quite satisfied, altough
there is a Mega 4 inside, not a 520 or 1040. There is well enough
room for my two seagates, laser controller and two floppies with HD-interface.
And they are cooled down with 3 thermo-controlled fans.
I am just looking forward to fit a Delta Modul in...

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***