[comp.sys.atari.st] Hybrid Arts Sequencers?

wright@hpcc01.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) (03/26/91)

Has anybody used the Hybrid Arts "EditTrack II" or newer "EditTrack
Gold" sequencers?  I'm thinking of replacing my obsolete sequencer
with something a little newer, and I'm attracted to Hybrid Arts
because I own their EZ-Score software.  My needs are fairly basic, I'm
looking for something that has:

   o Graphical sequence/track editing
   o "Song" editing by measures or sequences
   o User-definable quantization
   o Import/Export standard MIDI files
   o Runs on 1040ST (1M RAM) with color monitor

I'm also considering Dr. T's Tiger Cub software, but it doesn't seem
to have any kind of song editing, and 12 tracks seems a bit limiting.

Please post if you have any comments on the Hybrid Arts packages or
any other suggestions.

--Jeff Wright                           HP Circuit Technology R&D
  wright@hpctgrd.hp.com                   (HPtelnet/415) 857-5351

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (03/29/91)

In article <1540012@hpcc01.HP.COM> wright@hpcc01.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) writes:
>Has anybody used the Hybrid Arts "EditTrack II" or newer "EditTrack
>Gold" sequencers?  I'm thinking of replacing my obsolete sequencer
>with something a little newer, and I'm attracted to Hybrid Arts
>because I own their EZ-Score software.  My needs are fairly basic, I'm
>looking for something that has:
>
>   o Graphical sequence/track editing
>   o "Song" editing by measures or sequences
>   o User-definable quantization
>   o Import/Export standard MIDI files
>   o Runs on 1040ST (1M RAM) with color monitor
>
>I'm also considering Dr. T's Tiger Cub software, but it doesn't seem
>to have any kind of song editing, and 12 tracks seems a bit limiting.
>
>Please post if you have any comments on the Hybrid Arts packages or
>any other suggestions.

Well I have SMPTE-TRACK II (EDITTRACK II with SMPTE) and a friend of mine has
Tiger Cub. I think these are both very good packages but the Hybrid Arts
package can definetly do a LOT more that Tiger Cub. I suspect both of them will
do what you want (Not sure what you mean by "Song" editing). It certainly does
the rest.

Bob

wright@hpcc01.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) (04/03/91)

Well, I was able to obtain enough information from Hybrid Arts to
convince me to place an order for "EditTrack Gold."  This product
is the successor to EditTrack II, and will be shipping at the end
of this week (if you believe software companies:-).

This product does not sound at all like the typical crippled entry
level sequencer (e.g., 60 track limit vs. 12 in Tiger Cub).  As far
as I can tell, the only thing that it lacks from the top end "SMPTE
Track" sequencer is the SMPTE support.  And the price is right -- $99
list, $75 when purchased direct from Hybrid Arts.

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (04/05/91)

In article <1540013@hpcc01.HP.COM> wright@hpcc01.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) writes:
>Well, I was able to obtain enough information from Hybrid Arts to
>convince me to place an order for "EditTrack Gold."  This product
>is the successor to EditTrack II, and will be shipping at the end
>of this week (if you believe software companies:-).
>
>This product does not sound at all like the typical crippled entry
>level sequencer (e.g., 60 track limit vs. 12 in Tiger Cub).  As far
>as I can tell, the only thing that it lacks from the top end "SMPTE
>Track" sequencer is the SMPTE support.  And the price is right -- $99
>list, $75 when purchased direct from Hybrid Arts.

I think you will be impressed. I've had SMPTE Track for a few years now and
it's a very powerful sequencer. You're right in that the only difference is
the SMPTE support. As for 'Gold' I paid for my update in November!!! I did
receive a beta version (or something) to keep me happy in the mean time but I'm
still waiting for the official 'Gold' hopefully with new docs as I found the
manual to be often confusing or incorrect.

Bob