[comp.sys.atari.st] GCR + 1.44Mb floppies

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (03/29/91)

Anyone know whether Spectre GCR handles the 1.44Mb floppy ugrade?

Cheers,

Graham
======

Graham Higgins                  |  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Hewlett-Packard Labs            |  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Filton Road, Stoke Gifford      |  gjh%hplb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Bristol, U.K.                   |  ...!mcvax!ukc!hplb!gjh
Tel: +44 272 799910 x24014         Fax: +44 272 790554
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (04/03/91)

In article <GJH.91Mar28184146@ghiggins.hpl.hp.com> gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) writes:
>Anyone know whether Spectre GCR handles the 1.44Mb floppy ugrade?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Graham
>======

I have 1.44Mb floppy on my ST and in Spectre when I push one in, it does
not like it, but with exchanger it should work. My exchanger is bad,
so I can not try it before I catch a new copy somewhere...

Is there a Mac-HD-format or is the 800k maximum in Mac-format?
1.6Mb floppies would be great...

			Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

yonder@netcom.COM (Christopher Russell) (04/04/91)

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:

>I have 1.44Mb floppy on my ST and in Spectre when I push one in, it does
>not like it, but with exchanger it should work. My exchanger is bad,
>so I can not try it before I catch a new copy somewhere...

>Is there a Mac-HD-format or is the 800k maximum in Mac-format?
>1.6Mb floppies would be great...

>			Jartsu

>	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

What is exchanger, and how did you get a 1.44 in your Atari..  (As should
be obvious from my recent posts I am interested in this and I decided to
reply on the NET cuz I figure others might want to know as well)..  I will
own a GCR soon (I hope) and want to know how a 1.44 will work.. thanks
          ........yonder@netcom.com
--
Christopher Russell (yonderboy) yonder@netcom.COM or clr40@amail.amdahl.com

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (04/04/91)

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) asks:

> Anyone know whether Spectre GCR handles the 1.44Mb floppy ugrade?

The Dream Park chip swap that replaces the WD1772 with another
controller?  No, not yet.  Dave Small would have to make the drives
slow back down to 300 RPMS.  The hack published here by hase (Hartmut
Semken)?  I am not sure about it, but it might work, since the disk
speed remains at 300 RPM.  I wouldn't bet the farm on it though 8-).

In any case, Spectre GCR 3.0 doesn't support the high density mode,
even if it could read GCR disks in such a system.

Hope this helps,

Bob Pegram	{Awaiting his new STE, due to death of faithful 520}

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
	or
...!uvm-gen!pegram

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.191750.13584@netcom.COM> yonder@netcom.COM (Christopher Russell) writes:

>What is exchanger, and how did you get a 1.44 in your Atari..  (As should
>be obvious from my recent posts I am interested in this and I decided to
>reply on the NET cuz I figure others might want to know as well)..  I will
>own a GCR soon (I hope) and want to know how a 1.44 will work.. thanks
>          ........yonder@netcom.com
>--
>Christopher Russell (yonderboy) yonder@netcom.COM or clr40@amail.amdahl.com

Exchanger -> Apple File Exchanger, a program with you can move files from
MS-DOS (and ST) floppies to Mac. Requires Mac with super drive or a
Spectre GCR 3.0 with Atari ST.

I have a German HD-adapter on top of the WD-1772 02-02 floppy-controller
chip. A small circuit board, that controls the clock-rate for the drive
and some other things. Formatting and controlling software are included.

This HD-drive does odd things in Spectre. It is not very reliable to use.
If a floppy is reported bad in HD-drive, it still works in DD.
(luckily I have two drives...) But it works great with Apple File Exchanger.
Even 1.44Mb MS-DOS floppies are usable. But you can not use 1.44Mb Mac-
floppies with it (at least format, I haven't tried reading already formatted
one). The problem is the step-rate of the drive. If I could find a program
that could adjust steprate in Spectre, it would be very nice.

I have the HD-drive mainly for larger storage-capacity in ST-mode and
for compatibility in AT-emulation.

				Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (04/05/91)

Bob Pegram replied to my query:

   > Anyone know whether Spectre GCR handles the 1.44Mb floppy ugrade?

++ In any case, Spectre GCR 3.0 doesn't support the high density mode,
++ even if it could read GCR disks in such a system.

It does indeed. Thanks to Bob and all who responded. My internal floppy
is getting a bit flaky and I was wondering whether to replace it with
a 1.44Mb drive. Now I know --- thanks.

Graham
======