[comp.sys.atari.st] .IMG/Pagestream/Postscript

alexd@milton.u.washington.edu (Alex Danilchik) (04/07/91)

Hi.

I have yet to purchase the software, but I know I am going
to be using .IMG files (of which I know little or nothing about),
AND am going to NEED to print these .IMG in a Postscript DTP
environment...hence Pagestream comes to mind.  I have been holding
off buying 1.82 due to the purported soon release of 2.x.
I will have a TRUE PS printer shortly- the NEC Silent Writer 90.

My question:  Am I in for trouble in placing .IMG files into
a Postscript format?  Should I expect loss or degradation in the
conversion?  is there a conversion?  and, what .IMG editing tools
are out there?  TOUCH_UP ? others?  Are .IMG typically large?
And if converted to PS.. can I assume that were I to go to a
printhouse for greater than 300dpi, i will be able to get the
higher resolution for the graphics images?

your help is very much appreciated.
thanks

gunnar
alexd@milton.u.washington.edu

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (04/07/91)

alexd@milton.u.washington.edu (Alex Danilchik) writes:
>Am I in for trouble in placing .IMG files into
>a Postscript format?

I do .img imports into Pagestream all the time.

> Should I expect loss or degradation in the conversion?

 .img files are simply compressed bit images.  So, to whatever degree
PageStream distorts bitimages upon resizing is your only true worry.
Bit for bit reproductions should be error free.

>Are .IMG typically large?

Depends.  Some of my clip-art type scans with the geniscanner produce
 .img files that are 1/6th the storage of a raw bitmap.

>And if converted to PS.. can I assume that were I to go to a
>printhouse for greater than 300dpi, i will be able to get the
>higher resolution for the graphics images?

I don't know.

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, 612-424-4888, Fax 612-424-2853

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr6.201033.3056@milton.u.washington.edu>, alexd@milton.u.washington.edu (Alex Danilchik) writes:
>Hi.
>
>My question:  Am I in for trouble in placing .IMG files into
>a Postscript format?  Should I expect loss or degradation in the
>conversion?  is there a conversion?  and, what .IMG editing tools
>are out there?  TOUCH_UP ? others?  Are .IMG typically large?
>And if converted to PS.. can I assume that were I to go to a
>printhouse for greater than 300dpi, i will be able to get the
>higher resolution for the graphics images?

No problem, I do it all the time.  I cannot detect any loss of resolution.
I do all my printing at school, and only use my little 9-pin to check
alignment (Pagestream allows one to lighten the density of a printout, so
I can check stuff fast).  I print PS to disk, then put it on a floppy and
lpr it on a NEC (or Laserwriter, they both work).  I don't know about the
>300dpi thing, if you find out please email or post.  Oh, by the way, there is
no conversion, you just load them straight in.
--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear