[comp.sys.atari.st] Telecom program help needed

uuvvuu@mixcom.COM (Craig L. Stodolenak) (03/30/91)

I just purchased a used 1040 ST and SC1224 about a week ago and have a
few questions.  Okay, really just one question:  Which telecommunications
package do you use and why?

My observations so far:

     UniTerm     A really spiffy interface with some functions just where
                 I want them, others a mile away, or lacking altogether.
                 The emulations are immaculate from what I can tell,
                 but lack of Zmodem, or even batch Ymodem is a big
                 no-no for me.

     Interlink   Lots 'o features with a so-so interface.  At least
                 everything seems available reasonably quickly.  Why
                 I don't have control over whether or not a LF is
                 inserted when I hit CR in the buffer window is beyond
                 me.  I'm currently using v1.82; I've heard that the
                 latest is v1.85 but it's buggy.  The emulation .EMU
                 files I have seem old and definately have bugs; the
                 protocols work reasonably well.  Dialing menu is too
                 short for me.  I'd like a built-in _full_-featured
                 Zmodem.

     ST TalkPro  v2.0 is supposedly still unfinished, but again
                 supposedly has a lot of nice features.  I haven't seen
                 it to comment.  Have any of you?

     Vanterm     I was told to look into this product.  I have yet to
                 see it or to hear any more than, "get it".  Should I?
                 Why?

Since telecommunicating is the #1 thing I do with my computer, the
associated software is of prime importance to me.  Any help with this
would be greatly appreciated.  Please post, my E-mail quota is full (yes,
we have off-site quotas here).

Thanks!

--
Craig L. Stodolenak           "Then have sent to my chambers two young boys,
mixcom!craig%uunet.uu.net      a pumkin, and the schnauzer.  After this meet-

chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (04/01/91)

uuvvuu@mixcom.COM (Craig L. Stodolenak) writes:
>package do you use and why?

>My observations so far:
>     UniTerm     A really spiffy interface with some functions just where
>                 I want them, others a mile away, or lacking altogether.
>                 The emulations are immaculate from what I can tell,
>                 but lack of Zmodem, or even batch Ymodem is a big
>                 no-no for me.
-------------------------------------
	you can assign a function key to call an external zmodem.  somebody
posted a macro file to do just that, and if you want I can mail you a copy.
You can also reassign keys to your heart's content.  My 520 is a bit crowded
for uniterm--with what else I have (control panel and file selector) I don't
have room to have a history buffer, or run another program, but your
1040 should be plenty big enough.

>     Interlink   Lots 'o features with a so-so interface.  At least
>     ST TalkPro  v2.0 is supposedly still unfinished, but again
	don't know anything about those.

>     Vanterm     I was told to look into this product.  I have yet to
>                 see it or to hear any more than, "get it".  Should I?
>                 Why?
---------------------------------
	unless there's a newer and better version, this doesn't do any
fancy terminal emulation.
	STTerm is available at atari.archive.  No GEM goodies, very
"procomm"y feel, but will do vt-100.

>Since telecommunicating is the #1 thing I do with my computer, the
>associated software is of prime importance to me.

me too--amazing that I do all this character based stuff on my ST

chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
"one thing about a police state, you can always find the police" l. neil smith
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) (04/02/91)

In article <440@mixcom.COM> uuvvuu@mixcom.COM (Craig L. Stodolenak) writes:

> I just purchased a used 1040 ST and SC1224 about a week ago and have a
> few questions.  Okay, really just one question:  Which telecommunications
> package do you use and why?

Just one word ahead: Go out, sell your SC1224 and get an SM124 instead. Most
comm packages perform best on a monchrome display.
I use Rufus, a german comms package written by Michael Bernhard. It has build
in X- and Y-modem and uses the GRZ/SZ-zodules for zmodem. It's quite fast,
supports all resolutions, including the TT resolutions; uses different fonts
(with GDOS) and has a built in batch interpreter.
Now, why do I use it? It's fast and reliable, it has the best ansi-emulation
I've ever seen and offers a lot of possibilities. It's shareware, the fee is
50 DM, that's 30-35$.
The only problem for your is that Rufus is in German, but i've heard rumors
about an english version floating around...
/s/

--
Udo Erdelhoff                               smart: ue@nathan.ruhr.de
Am Westheck 170                             Fido:  Udo Erdelhoff on 2:245/52.1

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (04/03/91)

Distribution:world

In article <440@mixcom.COM> uuvvuu@mixcom.COM (Craig L. Stodolenak) writes:
> I just purchased a used 1040 ST and SC1224 about a week ago and have a
> few questions.  Okay, really just one question:  Which telecommunications
> package do you use and why?
>
> My observations so far:
>
>      UniTerm
>
>      Interlink
>
>      ST TalkPro
>
>      Vanterm
> --
> Craig L. Stodolenak           "Then have sent to my chambers two young boys,
> mixcom!craig%uunet.uu.net      a pumkin, and the schnauzer.  After this meet-
> craig@mixcom.com               ing I shall wish to be depraved."  -- E. Weiner

Why not try RUFUS, it is in German and is Shareware,
has all the things that you would wan't,
here is a small list.
1. X,Y,Y-G,Z, and Stream
2. Auto Zmodem Dnloads.
3. Background Transfers, (Not Zmodem)
4. VT100/52
5. Batch/Script Mode
6. Group Dialing, also has a limit of 16 Phone No.s
7. Has support of 6 screen sizes
8. Fonts and Screen sizes selectable
9. Works in all resolutions

Get a copy and have a Play with it, it is on Genie...
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) (04/04/91)

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz boldy writes in article <1991Apr03.084953.12784@actrix.gen.nz>
>Distribution:world

[stuff deleted]

>Why not try RUFUS, it is in German and is Shareware,
>has all the things that you would wan't,
>here is a small list.
>1. X,Y,Y-G,Z, and Stream
>2. Auto Zmodem Dnloads.
>3. Background Transfers, (Not Zmodem)
>4. VT100/52
>5. Batch/Script Mode
>6. Group Dialing, also has a limit of 16 Phone No.s
>7. Has support of 6 screen sizes
>8. Fonts and Screen sizes selectable
>9. Works in all resolutions
>
>Get a copy and have a Play with it, it is on Genie...
>--
>Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

Can someone d/l it from Genie and post in on atari.archive?  I assume
that it is PD...  I no longer have a Genie account to do this...

--
Paul Sears      The Univ. of Houston |"The greater an individual's power
Student of the College of Technology | over others, the greater the evil that

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.170133.2948@menudo.uh.edu> rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) writes:

>>Why not try RUFUS, it is in German and is Shareware,
>
>Can someone d/l it from Genie and post in on atari.archive?  I assume
>that it is PD...  I no longer have a Genie account to do this...

It's already on atari.archive.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) (04/04/91)

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) boldy writes in article <1991Apr03.184303.19277@ecst.csuchico.edu>
>In article <1991Apr3.170133.2948@menudo.uh.edu> rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) writes:
>>>
>>>Why not try RUFUS, it is in German and is Shareware,
>>
>>Can someone d/l it from Genie and post in on atari.archive?  I assume
>>that it is PD...  I no longer have a Genie account to do this...
>
>It's already on atari.archive.

Ok.  It is.  I never saw it before... Been on there since November.
Anyway, I am using it right now, but, one comlaint is that it is not a
speed demon :-).   Uniterm is still one of the fastest fully vt100
compatible emulators out.  I do like being able to change fonts in
Rufus.  However, I don't know any German so I am lost on its features.

BTW, I saw that uniterm.tar.Z was dated April 3 (today!) - is this a new
version? or did someone just re-upload it?

(Anyone want to try to do a emulator in assembly and still keep it fully
vt100?)

Later!

--
Paul Sears      The Univ. of Houston |"The greater an individual's power
Student of the College of Technology | over others, the greater the evil that
RCTE2P@Jetson.uh.edu      ***        | might possibly originate with him."
RCTE2P@menudo.uh.edu     * * *       | - PROPAGANDA, from A Secret Wish (CD)

hk@aludra.usc.edu (knuyh) (04/04/91)

   Could somebody post/send me how can I convert SF314 3.5 drive to
   dobule side drive?

   Thanks.

sytang@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Shoou-yu tang) (04/04/91)

 In regard the question of some one said the uniterm.tar.Z has date of Apr.3:
 Yes, it's Apr. 3 but not 1991, it's Apr.3 1990. So it's the 2.0e version.
 Is there any translated doc for rufus?
 Tang
 sytang@lamar.colostate.edu

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.220529.1164@menudo.uh.edu> rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) writes:
>BTW, I saw that uniterm.tar.Z was dated April 3 (today!) - is this a new
>version? or did someone just re-upload it?

Look a bit closer, April 3, 1990 is the timestamp.

Perhaps we should have some sort of soiree, to celebrate the year
anniversary of the last uniterm update.... :)

>Later!
>
>--
>Paul Sears      The Univ. of Houston |"The greater an individual's power
>Student of the College of Technology | over others, the greater the evil that
>RCTE2P@Jetson.uh.edu      ***        | might possibly originate with him."
>RCTE2P@menudo.uh.edu     * * *       | - PROPAGANDA, from A Secret Wish (CD)

weiner
--
Jeff Weiner    	weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu	     Jeff_Weiner@ub.cc.umich.edu
    Mail Dennis_Devine@ub.cc.umich.edu and ask if he'd like a White Castle

rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) (04/04/91)

sytang@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Shoou-yu tang) boldy writes in article <13976@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>

> In regard the question of some one said the uniterm.tar.Z has date of Apr.3:
> Yes, it's Apr. 3 but not 1991, it's Apr.3 1990. So it's the 2.0e version.
> Is there any translated doc for rufus?
> Tang
> sytang@lamar.colostate.edu

Er, yeah... I see that it is April 1990.... sheesh... I better get out
of the past quick, eh?

Note:  This is the second posting in which I was mis-informed...  I
think I will fade back into net.nowhere for awhile... :-)

--

ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) (04/04/91)

(Paul S. Sears) writes:

> compatible emulators out.  I do like being able to change fonts in
> Rufus.  However, I don't know any German so I am lost on its features.
Hi,
you can't use Rufus without GDOS. Just put GDOS in your auto-folder, create
an appropiate ASSIGN.SYS-file and get the fonts. They should be found within
the Rufus package.
/s/
--

pv@polari.UUCP (Paul Varn) (04/06/91)

In article <5281007@nathan.ruhr.de> ue@nathan.ruhr.de (Udo Erdelhoff) writes:
>In article <440@mixcom.COM> uuvvuu@mixcom.COM (Craig L. Stodolenak) writes:
>
>> I just purchased a used 1040 ST and SC1224 about a week ago and have a
>> few questions.  Okay, really just one question:  Which telecommunications
>> package do you use and why?
>
>Just one word ahead: Go out, sell your SC1224 and get an SM124 instead. Most
>comm packages perform best on a monchrome display.
>I use Rufus, a german comms package written by Michael Bernhard. It has build

You may see the ever-popular Uniterm mentioned as a possible program.  You
would not have to sell your color monitor.  Uniterm supports med and hi rez.
It's also very fast, full-featured for main-frame and *nix systems, runs
external programs (I run XYZ.TTP) with a mouse click for Zmodem), very
powerfull script language and ability to use GDOS fonts.  Full GEM,
and reliable code (not one crash in three years of use).  Lastly, it's
in english, comes with extensive documentation, and is free.  Current
version is 2.0e.  I love to use it with vi (if I have to) where I can click
on the screen and the cursor goes there for editing.
-Pv-

UUCP- pv@seattle
GEnie- P.VARN

schultzd@kira.uucp (The Michael Schenker Group) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr3.170133.2948@menudo.uh.edu> rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul S. Sears) writes:

-> >Why not try RUFUS, it is in German and is Shareware,
[Stuff deleted...]
->
-> Can someone d/l it from Genie and post in on atari.archive?  I assume
-> that it is PD...  I no longer have a Genie account to do this...

Obviously, if it is SHAREWARE, it is NOT PD!!!

Of course, it could still be downloaded.  Just PAY FOR IT if you USE
IT!!!!

Support your shareware authors.  It's really all we've got with an ST.
Of course, PD is nice too!!!

--
  |||	David W. Schultz			   |||
  |||	uunet[!rutgers!mailrus]!frith!schultzd	   |||