[comp.sys.atari.st] WD 1772 IC....

yonder@netcom.COM (Christopher Russell) (04/04/91)

Obviously, this relates to my previous posts..  I went out and headed over
to JDR to pick up the floppy controller IC..  To my surprise they did not
have it!  So then I start calling around.. nobody has it -- "what part # did
you say?"..  All of the floppy controller IC's that JDR had are almost
exclusively under $10 and the 1771 is $5..  Almost all of these IC's are
40 pin and I am sure more sophisticated than the 1772 (though I may be wrong,
but why can't I run a 1.44M)?  Anyways, I call up B&C and San Jose Computer,
and sure they have it but it $25 (!!) at either shop..  So, my question is: is
this the price I must pay, or is there an alternative?  Hopefully, there is,
but obviously I'll pay $25 if I have too..  I even went to the extent to call
Western Digital (the IC manufacturer), they gave me the number of a local
distributor, who informed me that it had be "obsoleted".. bummer..
Well, anybody got any advice (another Atari dealer with lower prices maybe?)
.........yonder@netcom.com

--
Christopher Russell (yonderboy) yonder@netcom.COM or clr40@amail.amdahl.com

davea@col.hp.com (David E Allen) (04/06/91)

yonder@netcom.COM (Christopher Russell) /  6:12 pm  Apr  3, 1991 /
> All of the floppy controller IC's that JDR had are almost
> exclusively under $10 and the 1771 is $5..  Almost all of these IC's are
> 40 pin and I am sure more sophisticated than the 1772 ...
> I call up B&C and San Jose Computer, and sure they have it but at $25 (!!)

If it's pins you want, stock up on 6800's and 8080's. The 1772 is more
"sophisticated" than a lot of the 40-pin FDC's you'll find. I don't know if
$25 is the best price, but don't let the smaller pincount fool you.

dave allen, colorado springs

yonder@netcom.COM (Christopher Russell) (04/08/91)

davea@col.hp.com (David E Allen) writes:

>yonder@netcom.COM (Christopher Russell) /  6:12 pm  Apr  3, 1991 /
>> All of the floppy controller IC's that JDR had are almost
>> exclusively under $10 and the 1771 is $5..  Almost all of these IC's are
>> 40 pin and I am sure more sophisticated than the 1772 ...
>> I call up B&C and San Jose Computer, and sure they have it but at $25 (!!)

>If it's pins you want, stock up on 6800's and 8080's. The 1772 is more
>"sophisticated" than a lot of the 40-pin FDC's you'll find. I don't know if
>$25 is the best price, but don't let the smaller pincount fool you.

>dave allen, colorado springs

To answer my own question, the best place that I found to get the 1772 is
BEST electronics in San Jose, Ca.  I talked to somebody named Brad.  He was
very helpful and actually talked to me for a while about my problem and even
made suggestions etc..  The number of couse can be found in several of the
Atari Mags.. but I have it right here: 408-243-6950..

BTW, I spent some time calling around about this IC and Western Digital no
longer manufactures it (even though it is listed in the 1991 IC master).
There is another company that is going to be putting out some compatables soon,
but the price was even more than $25...  I think BEST's price was $18 and some
odd cents.. but don't quote me..
				.....yonder
--
Christopher Russell (yonderboy) yonder@netcom.COM or clr40@amail.amdahl.com