[comp.sys.atari.st] GDOS

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (12/03/86)

[]

I get rather irate when the radio announcer says "Iran" pronounced
like "irate".  (It's "ear-on", in case you wonder.)

I also get pretty irate when I hear that a wonderful program is about
to appear, will use GDOS, but "you have to have GDOS to use it".  What
does that mean?  You don't have to get GDOS separately to use EasyDraw,
since it is built-into the program!  (You also get a device driver for
Epson FX80 (?) on the disk.)  If I remember right, GDOS is very small
(did I hear 4K?).  And it is rather useless on its own unless you're
a developer (and you have the documentation).  So why not pass it on
with the program?  It is the device drivers which are the real problem.
Why not have each user buy (from a third party) the driver for her/his
specific device!  Why should the publisher of, say, a word processor
program, try to package it with drivers for all the printers in the world?

In short, could somebody clarify what IS "GDOS" (or its parts)???

- Moshe Braner

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation, neither overt nor covert, with any
elements, neither powerful nor powerless, in Ear-on.  Nor with Ire-ake.
And I'd rather be on vacation in Fee-rent-seh.

neil@atari.UUcp (Neil Harris) (12/05/86)

In article <1691@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:

> I also get pretty irate when I hear that a wonderful program is about
> to appear, will use GDOS, but "you have to have GDOS to use it".  What
> does that mean?  You don't have to get GDOS separately to use EasyDraw,
> since it is built-into the program!

Programs which require GDOS will, in all likelihood, be shipped with GDOS on
the program disk.  Atari Corporation requires developers to license the
rights to do this.

--
--->Neil @ Atari

...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

BIX: neilharris		CIS: 70007,1135		Delphi: NEILHARRIS
GENIE: nharris		WELL: neil		Atari Corp. BBS 408-745-5308

US Mail: Atari Corp.
         1196 Borregas Ave.
         Sunnyvale, CA 94086

"Loose chips sink ships."

REEVES@SLACSLD.BITNET (04/02/88)

I would like some information. I would very much like to hear it from somebody
at Atari. I would prefer that this not start a long drawn out, useless
discussion. All I want is the information. If no one at Atari feels that they
should answer these questions just yet, fine. But at least let me know that you
aren't going to answer. And everyone else, please don't generate noise. I want
to see a sharp, well defined signal even if it takes a while to get it. What I
want to know is:

(1) Will GDOS ever be unbundled from other software packages?

(2) If yes, when will it be released?(a rough order of magnitude is fine)

(3) How will I, as a user who likes to program but not spend a lot of money,
    get my grubbly little paws on it?

(4) About how much will it cost?

Thanks for any response.

Terry W. Reeves

BITNET: REEVES at SLACSLD
        REEVES at SLACVM
        REEVES at VANDVMS1

                    Crite 1: They have weapons.
                    Crite 2: So what!

 Farmer's wife with shotgun: BBBBBB LL      AA   MM   MM !! !! !!
                             BB  BB LL     AAAA  MMM MMM !! !! !!
                             BBBBBB LL    AA  AA MM M MM !! !! !!
                             BB  BB LL    AAAAAA MM   MM
                             BBBBBB LLLLL AA  AA MM   MM !! !! !!

                                                            --------Critters

pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1132) (10/21/88)

Just a question: Is there any way to load GDOS fonts to replace the
standard system fonts without using GDOS?

Also, what is the status of the new GDOS written by some guy in
Germany?

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/22/88)

Hmm....  pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1132)
asks:

>Also, what is the status of the new GDOS written by some guy in
>Germany?

Forget GDOS...!  Atari Corp has had more than three years to provide us
with a fixed and complete version and has failed to do so...

MONTHS and months ago, Neil Harris said that Atari was "evaluating" the
new GDOS from Germany, and it STILL hasn't been seen...

Having been fed up with the situation, Charles F. Johnson and John E(unspellab
took two MONTHS, reverse engineered Atari's GDOS, figured out what it was
doing, what its problems were, and why it was Sooooo sloooow, and wrote a
NEW version from scratch...

It not only WORKS, and is FASTER, but it also allows things that GDOS does
not, like loading in a new ASSIGN.SYS file without having to totally
re-boot the system...

The product's name is G+PLUS, from Codehead Software...

(Now if only we can get Charles interested in writing TOS+ )

BobR

pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP (pa1132) (10/24/88)

But G+Plus still does not allow scalable fonts and loading fonts
individually instead of loading them into memory at only one time....

BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) (10/26/88)

pa1132 comments:
>But G+Plus still does not allow scalable fonts and loading fonts
>individually instead of loading them into memory at only one time....

Very true..!  But this is because of the way GEM does things... surprisingly
enough, it's not Atari's fault this time...  that's the way GEM/GDOS was
designed by Digital Research...

Anything which maintains compatibility with GDOS will have the same
shortcomings...  G+PLUS does what GDOS is *supposed* to do, but does it
far more competently...

If you've been used to, say... the way Publishing Partner handles fonts..
that is, being able to scale them to *ANY* point size, and load them at
any time, in any order, it may be quite a shock to go to something like
TimeWorks Publisher which uses GDOS...  You get ONLY the point sizes you've
included in your ASSIGN.SYS file, and ONLY get to load them in the
combination specified in that ASSIGN.SYS file... (although with G+PLUS, you
*could* set up several different variations on that file and select among
them...)  This *is not* a criticism of TimeWorks Publisher..!  It's simply
a characteristic of dealing with GDOS... the output from TW Publisher is
VERY GOOD...!

If you're stuck using GDOS, opt for G+PLUS instead...

BobR

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (10/26/88)

Date: 26 October 1988, 13:17:22 MEZ
From: Julian F. Reschke         (02501) 13279        ONM07    at DMSWWU1A
To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE

AMCGDOS has been written by Arnd Beissner (who's not online here) and
has been licensed to Atari Germany FOR THE GERMAN market. It is fully
compatible with the original GDOS but is faster and seems to be bug-free
(version 3.01a). In Germany it can be obtained by

Atari Computer
Harald Mueller
Frankfurter Str. 89-91
D-6096 Raunheim

For the private use, AMCGDOS is PUBLIC DOMAIN. Arnd Beissner looks for
someone in U.S. to coordinate the distribution of his PD-GDOS. Please
email to me.
GDOS-related topics:
Things like font-scaling aren't done by GDOS, but by the VDI-screen
driver. Switching between different ASSIGN.SYS-files violates the
'philosophy' of GDOS: fonts should be the same for all devices and all
applications (or You can't swap metafiles).

// Julian F. Reschke

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (10/27/88)

In article <8810261232.AA25704@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, ONM07@DMSWWU1A writes:
>has been licensed to Atari Germany FOR THE GERMAN market. It is fully
>compatible with the original GDOS but is faster and seems to be bug-free

	I hope atari USA follows suit. In *my* opinion their attitude
wrt. Gdos really sucks.
usenet: {decvax,sun}!cwjcc!dsrgsun!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
arpa:        bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu
compuServe:  71515,155

rjung@sal42.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (10/27/88)

In article <10500@cup.portal.com> BobR@cup.portal.com (Bob BobR Retelle) writes:
>pa1132 comments:
> [Lots of stuff about un-scaleability of GDOS fonts deleted]
>
>If you've been used to, say... the way Publishing Partner handles fonts..
>that is, being able to scale them to *ANY* point size, and load them at
>any time, in any order, it may be quite a shock to go to something like
>TimeWorks Publisher which uses GDOS...

  With all this (psuedo-)GDOS-bashing, I feel compelled to write something
positive:

  The BIG advantage of GDOS's non-scaling fonts feature is that it is FAST.
Comparing 9-pin Epson-compatable printing output speed, GDOS is _faster_ (and
thus, more convient) than Publish Partner and other font-scaling programs.
The reason, of course, is that PP has to calculate how the scaled fonts should
look when you do the printing, whereas GDOS simply looks up a raster map for
its fonts.

  When you get into faster printing devices (laser printer...to dream about),
then the speed _really_ becomes noticeable. Neither approach is "good" or
"bad", just different.

  (I also want to add that I've been using WordUp for most of my GDOS'ing
[When is the next revision coming out?]...My only gripe with GDOS now is
that I don't have enough RAM <grin> to get even MORE wonderful fonts on my
system at once...)

>If you're stuck using GDOS, opt for G+PLUS instead...

  To tell you the darn truth, I don't see much of an improvement in speed
with G+PLUS. Maybe WordUp is using an optimized assembly route for updating
the screen display, but when I used a demo version of G+PLUS with it, I see
no appreciable (to me) speed increase.

  (Now, if CodeHead could have made my printer print faster...)

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. Is it just me, or would "HeadCode Software" been a better company name?
B-)

  Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
                                                             # ## #
  Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
                    (rjung@nunki.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##
                                                         ####  ##  ####

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (11/01/88)

 Not that I really want to seem completely ignorant, but what exactly is
 GDOS? I know Degas uses it, but their documentation doesn't say what it
 is. The Mark Williams C documentation mentions it here and there, but
 they're not telling any secrets either. And while we're at it, where does
 one find out about this stuff? If it wasn't for MWC, I'd be completely lost!

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

DSP1858@TAMSTAR.BITNET (11/01/88)

According to ST Informer (909 NW Starlite Place, Grants Pass, OR 97526),
the address where G+PLUS can be purchased is:
             CodeHead Software
             Box 4336
             North Hollywood, CA 91607
The cost is $34.95 + $2 s/h.

I'm hoping someone out there will purchase a copy and review it for
the benefit of all.
                                                Thanks,
                                                David Scott Pope

themod@blake.acs.washington.edu (Chris Hinton) (07/27/89)

  Hello, I just got a spreadsheet program off the net.  Maybe you too have
seen it, its called Opus and it seems to be just the thing I have been looking
for.  But, alas, there is one small problem.  In order to do charting from
the program one has to have GDOS.  Well, I thought, I'll just pull the GDOS
stuff off my DEGAS disk and use it here.  No, that didn't work.
  To make a long story short, if that is still possible, does anybody out
there have any idea how to get this damn thing to work.  I sure haven't
figured it out yet.
  You can either mail me a reply, or post your response here.  Makes no diff
to me.
  Thanks in advance.

Chris Hinton ---- themod@blake.acs.washington.edu
Mod Software Systems
Seattle, Wa  98195

"Why didn't you tell me he had one of those... things?" - The Joker.
"My life is really...complex." - Bruce Wayne.
"Excuse me...  What does God need with a starship?" - James T. Kirk.

FRACHEL@UMIAMI.MIAMI.EDU (02/20/90)

I have a really simple question here:

Where might I obtain G-Dos?

Is it commercial? Pd? What? They dont seem to sell it at any of the
stores around here.

Thanks,

Frank

christ@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Oliver Christ) (07/05/90)

I need some help on GDOS:

  * what is it? is it public domain?
  * where can I get screen and printer fonts/drivers?

mail, I'll summarize.

--
Oli
Oliver Christ

Institute for Computer Sciences (Institut f"ur Informatik)
University of Stuttgart
West-Germany

darling@cellar.UUCP (Darling) (04/09/91)

Could someone explain what this GDOS beast is?  I have a German clone in the
AUTO folder for RUFUS; what does it do besides allow me to use selected
programs?

BTW, I am sort of surprised about all the probems people are having with
RUFUS.  I downloaded it from GEnie, un-ARCed it, and it has run flawlessly
without tinkering.

 !! \    __  __  __   ____ __  _  ___     !!  Production, Pre-Production,
 !!  \  //! ! \\ !!    !!  !\\ ! // \\    !! and dance remixing @ FACT HQ:
 !!  / //_! !_// !!    !!  ! \\! !  __    !!      darling@cellar.uucp