[comp.sys.atari.st] MEGA STE trouble

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (04/05/91)

I have two problems with my new MEGA STE, and wondered if anyone out there
hadany good ideas for fixing them:

1)  When using STEREO DMA sound (not normal ST sound) I get "static" (small
    clicks kind of) in the sound.  Sounds almost like a spark.  Occurs even
    when there is no sound (as long as the voulume is on).  It has has no
    strict pattern and occurs every now and then.   Anyone have an idea ??

2)  When the HDis active I get vertical flickering bars on my monochrome
    monitor.  The picture is flickering always, but it's really annoying
    when the harddisk is working.....  Is this interferencefrom the HD on
    the RAM-chips (or somthing like that).  Anything I can do about it ?

3)  Ohhh, yes - One more thing - SYSMON doesn't work on the MEGA STE :-)
    I really miss it :-(

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/05/91)

In article <CMM.0.88.670807428.larserio@kvart.ifi.uio.no> larserio@ifi.uio.no writes:
>I have two problems with my new MEGA STE, and wondered if anyone out there
>hadany good ideas for fixing them:
>
>1)  When using STEREO DMA sound (not normal ST sound) I get "static" (small
>    clicks kind of) in the sound.  Sounds almost like a spark.  Occurs even
>    when there is no sound (as long as the voulume is on).  It has has no
>    strict pattern and occurs every now and then.   Anyone have an idea ??

I get this on my STe as well.  Not as often as it seems you do, however.  Mine
occurs usually about once every two weeks or so.  Could it be non-computer
related, such as your amp or speakers?

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

eahsnsr@nmt.edu (Eric A. Hobbs) (04/05/91)

In article <CMM.0.88.670807428.larserio@kvart.ifi.uio.no> larserio@ifi.uio.no writes:
>I have two problems with my new MEGA STE, and wondered if anyone out there
>hadany good ideas for fixing them:
>
>1)  When using STEREO DMA sound (not normal ST sound) I get "static" (small
>    clicks kind of) in the sound.  Sounds almost like a spark.  Occurs even
>    when there is no sound (as long as the voulume is on).  It has has no
>    strict pattern and occurs every now and then.   Anyone have an idea ??

I don't have an STE so I am assuming that you are playing samples.
If the sample is recorded so that when you look at it on a sample
editing program, the sample is not vertically centered over the "zero"
output line, you will almost invariably hear a "pop" at the beginning
and end of the sample. This is because the player is trying to jump
from zero output to a higher output. In which case, any computer
will pop while trying to make the sound.
Of course, this is all assuming that you in fact _are_ playing samples.

If any of this makes any sense to you, then good for you! :-)

-------------------
Eric A. HOBBS!
eahsnsr@JUPITER.nmt.edu

carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (04/06/91)

writes:
>I have two problems with my new MEGA STE, and wondered if anyone out there
>had any good ideas for fixing them:
>
>1)  When using STEREO DMA sound (not normal ST sound) I get "static" (small
>    clicks kind of) in the sound.  Sounds almost like a spark.  Occurs even
>    when there is no sound (as long as the voulume is on).  It has has no
>    strict pattern and occurs every now and then.   Anyone have an idea ??

It may not be a problem at all.  Some samples aren't sampled at the max
rate, and therefore will seem a bit staticky.  The higher the sample
rate per second, the better the sound quality.

If you want to get rid of the popping and static, get better samples at higher
rates like 47KHz for example.  Careful though, this requires MEGA 4 amounts
of memory to do this, and it doesn't last long.

--Gregory

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (04/06/91)

Well, the static occors even when there is no sampel played...
As long as the voulume of the STEREO soundchips is on....
There is nothing wrong with the samples (I have played them on a standard ST
an on a standard STE and there is no trouble there....)

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST

Shervin.Shahrebani.Of.250/744@f744.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Shervin Shahrebani Of 250/744) (04/09/91)

This static you get, do you get it even when you have speakers hooked up to the stereophonic RCA jacks?  Or do you use the monitor for sound?

S.S.