[comp.sys.atari.st] Background graphics.

dh108@cs.city.ac.uk (KEATES M G) (02/15/91)

Has anyone 'extracted' graphics from commerical games that they
could send me?

I am interested in background graphics and/or sprites (preferably
in DEGAS or NEO picture format) used within scrolling games such
as Blood Money, so that I can squish and de-colourize them, and then
port them on to my 8-bit Atari to be used with a scrolling routine
I'm working on.

Any help as to how to do this myself or lists of what you've got
is greatfully received.

(P.S. The complete player images from Kick Off (I or II) would
      be a great use to me)

millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb14.182535.21132@cs.city.ac.uk> dh108@cs.city.ac (KEATES M G) writes:

>Has anyone 'extracted' graphics from commerical games that they
>could send me?

My mail to you bounced, and I guess this is of general use so...
What might work is grabber2.lzh on atari.archive.umich.edu
Grabber replaces the alt-help screen dump routine with a routine to dump the
screen to disk in (I think) degas format.

 - Todd
--
Todd C. Miller                    | "But all the politiCIAns now
millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU        |  They have no excuse

warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (02/20/91)

In <1991Feb14.182535.21132@cs.city.ac.uk> dh108@cs.city.ac.uk (KEATES M G) writes:

>Has anyone 'extracted' graphics from commerical games that they
>could send me?

Does anyone know the legality of this?  (I'd be interested if it is legal!).
--
   _  |\	warwick@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
  / `-' *  <--	Computer Science Department,

carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/21/91)

dh108@cs.city.ac.uk (KEATES M G) writes the following with indescretion:

Has anyone 'extracted' graphics from commerical games that they
could send me?

I am interested in background graphics and/or sprites (preferably
in DEGAS or NEO picture format) used within scrolling games such
as Blood Money, so that I can squish and de-colourize them, and then
port them on to my 8-bit Atari to be used with a scrolling routine
I'm working on.

Any help as to how to do this myself or lists of what you've got
is greatfully received.

Mmmmm,

     I hope these aren't direct ports from these commercial games otherwise
you will have some problems, other than just technical implementation of
the project.

     In fact, you may need to hire some lawyers.

--Gregory

wolfram@ikki.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) (04/09/91)

dh108@cs.city.ac.uk (KEATES M G) writes:

>Has anyone 'extracted' graphics from commerical games that they
>could send me?

Quite some time ago I have written a program for the 8bit to do
right that, extract picture data from program disks. I did it by
copying sector after sector into the screen memory. This should
work on the ST as well if the picture data ist stored in bitmap
format. Wont work of course with compressed pictures. In this case
your program could scan the disk for magic numbers used by the
various picture formats and extract the following data to a seperate
file, then use guck or a similar multi-format browser to see if you
actually caught a picture.