[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Drive Access Trouble

bhodges@afit.af.mil (Bill Hodges) (04/06/91)

I've got a Supra 20M drive and after I work for a while if I try to access
files the BUSY light stays on or flickers and I get the box about "Damaged
Data".  If I shut the drive off for a while it acts right again.  Before
it gets any worse, what's the best way to find the problem and where should
I start looking?

Thanks,
Bill

 Bill Hodges                    |  Me?  People who speak for the Air Force get
 bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil  |  paid a lot more than I do! I just work here.

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr06.071210.20559@afit.af.mil> bhodges@afit.af.mil (Bill Hodges) writes:
>I've got a Supra 20M drive and after I work for a while if I try to access
>files the BUSY light stays on or flickers and I get the box about "Damaged
>Data".  If I shut the drive off for a while it acts right again.  Before
>it gets any worse, what's the best way to find the problem and where should
>I start looking?

I had this kind of problem with a BMS-100 -> CMI 6426 drive combo.  I made
things a little better by ensuring adequate cooling, and by ensuring the
power supply voltages were right on.  Then I backed up everything and low-
level formatted again.  This helped for about a year, but the CMI eventually
died.  Hope your Supra isn't goin' south.

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder