[comp.sys.atari.st] APPLE Imagewriter on ST??

shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/10/91)

Has anyone ever tried to hook an Apple Imagewriter up to an ST?
Any thoughts on doing it would be appreciated.

(Why do it?  I am being given a MAC and the printer, and would like
to try to use it with my ST too.  It is much better than my old,
expensive NEC 8023.)

Thanks.

Steve Shawl
Shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.130629.29558@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Has anyone ever tried to hook an Apple Imagewriter up to an ST?
>Any thoughts on doing it would be appreciated.

You know, Mac is very "dot-oriented", so you would need to make/get aspecial
driver for it. And it would also reserve the serial port, so no modem...
This is because ImageWriter prints everything as a bit-image and mac does not
have an actual centronics-port, both printer and modem ports are serials.
So you can print pictures quite easily, but text does need a very special
driver.

				Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.155924.28155@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>In article <1991Apr9.130629.29558@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>Has anyone ever tried to hook an Apple Imagewriter up to an ST?
>>Any thoughts on doing it would be appreciated.
>>

>You know, Mac is very "dot-oriented", so you would need to make/get aspecial
>driver for it. And it would also reserve the serial port, so no modem...
>This is because ImageWriter prints everything as a bit-image and mac does not
>have an actual centronics-port, both printer and modem ports are serials.
>So you can print pictures quite easily, but text does need a very special
>driver.

The Imagewriter does NOT need to print everything as a bit-image, though it
obviously can, nor does that have anything to do with whether the interface
is serial or Centronics parallel.  The Imagewriter II will print ASCII text
quite easily, in either draft or NLQ mode, and optionally in color.  No need
for "dots" or "very special" drivers, just a regular driver.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.155924.28155@santra.uucp>, s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
> In article <1991Apr9.130629.29558@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>Has anyone ever tried to hook an Apple Imagewriter up to an ST?
>>Any thoughts on doing it would be appreciated.
>
> You know, Mac is very "dot-oriented", so you would need to make/get aspecial
> driver for it. And it would also reserve the serial port, so no modem...
> This is because ImageWriter prints everything as a bit-image and mac does not
> have an actual centronics-port, both printer and modem ports are serials.
> So you can print pictures quite easily, but text does need a very special
> driver.

But it does have an ASCII mode, so any text based word processor would be
able to use it. (But unless it has a printer driver for an Imagewriter, it
won't be able to bold, underline, etc.)

But you still would need some printer driver to do any screen-dumps, and
any graphic oriented prg will need a printer driver.

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for MAC Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	    MAC HFS floppy disk?       R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

laird@think.com (Laird Popkin) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.155924.28155@santra.uucp> s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) writes:
>In article <1991Apr9.130629.29558@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>>Has anyone ever tried to hook an Apple Imagewriter up to an ST?
>>Any thoughts on doing it would be appreciated.
>>

>You know, Mac is very "dot-oriented", so you would need to make/get aspecial
>driver for it. And it would also reserve the serial port, so no modem...
>This is because ImageWriter prints everything as a bit-image and mac does not
>have an actual centronics-port, both printer and modem ports are serials.
>So you can print pictures quite easily, but text does need a very special
>driver.
>
>				Jartsu
>
>	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

It's true that the Mac is very "dot oriented" but the ImageWriter and
ImageWriter II do indeed have built in character sets, and can be used to
print ASCII text as well as graphics.  I know quite a few people who used
Imagewriters on their Apple II's, for example.

The part about interfacing is true, though.  The Imagewriter is a serial
printer, so you would need to switch between printing and modeming.