[comp.sys.atari.st] Mac Roms

PV9Y@cornella.BITNET.UUCP (01/28/87)

Date: 27 January 87 23:00 EST
From: PV9Y@CORNELLA
Subject: macroms
To: INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

Okay, I know the 'subject' sounds like some sort of new particle.  Some
especially rare, hard to find new particle.  But macroms aren't that
uncommon.  I read on the net a while back (and I don't remember who or
when, so sorry for not giving credit where due) that there were plenty
of people at one of the shows selling the roms and apparently having
plenty of them.  Now doesn't it make sense that if you buy the roms, you
have the right (just as you do, or at least should, to backup your
software to a somewhat different medium, say hard disk or tape backup)
to put the contents of those roms onto a disk (and I'll admit that I
have no idea as how to do that) and use them for whatever *personal*
purposes you may have.  I'm not saying that you should be allowed to
copy them to every pirate board you could find; I totally disagree with
that.  That's why I like the idea of the PD Mac emulator, minus roms.  I
like PD software, particularly when it is as good as it is for this
computer.  But I still think that the issue is the same as with
software, after all, both the software and the roms are covered by the
same copyright law, aren't they?  So Chuck, I'm not trying to rip off
Apple, I'm just trying to get the most out of what I believe is a very
good computer system with many possibilities.
    Now that I've cleared that up (or so I hope), can anyone ANSWER my
questions without questioning the legality of the macroms right now?
Please?  Pretty please?

                                     Adam Engst

pv9y@cornella.bitnet
engst%tcgould.tn.cornell.edu@crnlcs.bitnet

The above is totally original and reflects no one's opinions but
my own and my penguin's.

pwp@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Paul Purdom) (12/15/87)

I have a Magic Sac without the ROMs (I misread the ad). Does anyone know
where I can get the ROMs for it. Mail reply to
Purdom@indiana.edu

gints@NCoast.ORG (Steve Juhasz) (09/07/89)

Can some one give please give me price info and a place to buy Mac ROMS
(128K)?

Steve Juhasz
gints@ncoast.org
ncoast!gints@hal.cwru.edu
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!gints

carter@cat34.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/01/91)

I just blew 300 bucks on a Spectre GCR and I have looked almost everywhere
for MAC ROMS.  This things is going to be quite useless without them, if I
can't get them.

Please, if anybody knows where I can get them email me immediately.

--Gregory

rollie@cobber.cord.edu (Craig Servin) (04/04/91)

Since someone else got a positive response I thought I wold try my luck and
ask if anyone had a set of mac 128k roms or new of a place where I could get
a set.  I've been thinking about a GCR but it wouldn't do much good without
the roms.  Thanks in advance.

--

Rollie@cobber.cord.edu
Concordia College Moorhead, MN

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (04/12/91)

From article <1991Apr3.173226.27924@cobber.cord.edu>,
by rollie@cobber.cord.edu (Craig Servin):

> Since someone else got a positive response I thought I wold try my luck and
> ask if anyone had a set of mac 128k roms or new of a place where I could get
> a set.  I've been thinking about a GCR but it wouldn't do much good without
> the roms.  Thanks in advance.

I found this on  comp.sys.amiga.emulations, it's relevant here too.
Contact its author for details, *not* me 8-).  Here are the relevant
portions.

From: BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.emulations
Subject: Re: Macintosh emulator (Re: C128 emulator?)
Date: 31 Mar 91 19:01:23 GMT

<Partially deleted discussion of illegal MAC Roms. RBPIII>

Apple's copyrights doesn't mean that Apple is somehow 'wrong' in trying to stop
>such emulators and certainly doesn't justify ripping the ROMs off because they
> can no longer be obtained legally.  Just because you want to emulate a Mac on
>your Amiga doesn't necessarily mean you have a right to do so.  The Amax folks
> would get in touch with the people that have developed a compatible chip set
> based on Motif and see if they can license them for resale, thereby cutting
> Apple out of the loop.
>
> David Albrecht

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to keep posting this...

Apple ROMS are leagally and freely (actually, for $20) available from Apple's
pacific distributer, Sun Business Machines, in Kowloon, Hong Kong.

Regards Alan