[comp.sys.atari.st] rufus

darling@cellar.UUCP (Darling) (04/06/91)

Really the best thing about RUFUS is that you can change the name to
RUFUS.ACC and run it as an accessory...It's really nice when you're working
on a lengthy MIDI or CAD project to just pop in to a local BBS for a couple
of minutes.  I wouldn't try it on a 520, though.

 !! \    __  __  __   ____ __  _  ___     !!  Production, Pre-Production,
 !!  \  //! ! \\ !!    !!  !\\ ! // \\    !! and dance remixing @ FACT HQ:
 !!  / //_! !_// !!    !!  ! \\! !  __    !!      darling@cellar.uucp
 !!_/ //  ! ! \\ !!__ _!!_ !  \! \\_!!    !!_______________________________

oddjob@oz.plymouth.edu (Andrew C. Stoffel) (04/07/91)

In article <PP9XZ1w163w@cellar.UUCP> darling@cellar.UUCP (Darling) writes:

>   Really the best thing about RUFUS is that you can change the name to
>   RUFUS.ACC and run it as an accessory...It's really nice when you're

Really ?? ( I JUST got it and can't read German(?!) ) Does anybody
have an English version of the .RSC ?? I can guess a lot but not all
of the meanings of the menu entries.

Hmmm..... Rufus (I'm using it now) seems to NOT update the screen (I
keep having to do Control-L's in Emacs), I assume this is a setup
problem..

Also, it doesn't let me mark text in GNU-Emacs (Control-Space) Is
there a solution for this (NOT vi , I use Gnus, and VM for news and
email almost exclusively )

-Andy-

--
|"The Snark WAS a Boojum, you see!"|Good   : acs@unhd.unh.edu       |
|"Reality !?! Isn't that something |Better : ANDYS@psc.plymouth.edu |

pbh@jake.cc.wayne.edu (Patrick Haggood) (04/08/91)

I dloaded RUFUS from atari.archive sometime last year and only recently
bought G+Plus so I could try it out (RUFUS needs GDOS).  However, I
am having problems with it.  First, I have the terminal protocol set to
VT100, but I call up the University machines and the screen won't
scroll.  It gets to the bottom of the screen and all the text disappears
below the last line.  Also, the text that comes back from the mainframe
is all junk!  I have the settings done the same as Uniterm but it's like
RUFUS uses its own character table!  Anybody had the same type of
problems with RUFUS?

--
Patrick B. Haggood
Wayne STate University

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr8.062638.4276@cs.wayne.edu> pbh@jake.cc.wayne.edu (Patrick Haggood) writes:
>I dloaded RUFUS from atari.archive sometime last year and only recently
>bought G+Plus so I could try it out (RUFUS needs GDOS).  However, I

There is a GDOS clone at atari.archive called AMCGDOS.  It's from Germany, I
believe.  Actually, I'm pretty sure it's at a.a; I think that's where
I got my version.  So, those who want to try Rufus don't need to purchase
G+Plus, although G+Plus is an excellent product.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

killer@vipunen.hut.fi (Kalle Kivimaa) (04/08/91)

In article <ODDJOB.91Apr6132509@oz.oz.plymouth.edu> oddjob@oz.plymouth.edu (Andrew C. Stoffel) writes:

>Really ?? ( I JUST got it and can't read German(?!) ) Does anybody
>have an English version of the .RSC ?? I can guess a lot but not all
>of the meanings of the menu entries.

There is one at funic.funet.fi in directory pub/atari/comm (or telecomm).
Someone could get it and put it in atari.archive, and also check my
translation.

* Kalle Kivimaa             *  In the beginning the Universe was created.   *
* JMT 7A123                 *  This has made a lot of people very angry and *
* 468 2041                  *  has widely been regarded as a bad move.      *

sytang@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Shoou-yu tang) (04/08/91)

 AMCGDOS come with the Rufus, when you unarchived the Rufus.tos by run it, it
 would generate all the file and in AUTO folder would have AMCGDOS.
 Tang
 sytang@lamar.colostate.edu

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (04/09/91)

In article <KILLER.91Apr8114617@vipunen.hut.fi> killer@vipunen.hut.fi (Kalle Kivimaa) writes:
>In article <ODDJOB.91Apr6132509@oz.oz.plymouth.edu> oddjob@oz.plymouth.edu (Andrew C. Stoffel) writes:
>
>>Really ?? ( I JUST got it and can't read German(?!) ) Does anybody
>>have an English version of the .RSC ?? I can guess a lot but not all
>>of the meanings of the menu entries.
>
>There is one at funic.funet.fi in directory pub/atari/comm (or telecomm).
>Someone could get it and put it in atari.archive, and also check my
>translation.

The translation is good but not complete... ;-/

Maybe I'll finish it some day. It may require changing the program itself
and I am anyway trying to make scandinavian characters work.
So I'll have to contact the maker of it...

				Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.062638.4276@cs.wayne.edu> pbh@jake.cc.wayne.edu (Patrick Haggood) writes:
>I dloaded RUFUS from atari.archive sometime last year and only recently
>bought G+Plus so I could try it out (RUFUS needs GDOS).  However, I

I use Rufus quite often (few times a day) and I have never used it with
GDOS! Why GDOS is needed? I know it comes with it and you are not able to
load additional fonts without it, but that's all. It runs well without GDOS.

>am having problems with it.  First, I have the terminal protocol set to
>VT100, but I call up the University machines and the screen won't
>scroll.  It gets to the bottom of the screen and all the text disappears
>below the last line.  Also, the text that comes back from the mainframe
>is all junk!  I have the settings done the same as Uniterm but it's like
>RUFUS uses its own character table!  Anybody had the same type of
>problems with RUFUS?

Screen won't scroll? That's odd. I have never seen that...
Rufus uses character table similar to German keyboard... That's bad!
Set it so that it uses only 7-bit characters. It usually works.
And you may have the screen-size setting wrong. Try 80x24.

Hope this helps a bit.

			Jartsu

	*** Jari Lehto, jartsu@otax.hut.fi, s37837k@saha.hut.fi ***

chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (04/10/91)

I ftp-ed rufes from atari.archive and downloaded it.  everything runs
nicely, no problems w/ GDOS.
	However I did notice that when I uploaded something with the
internal Xmodem or Ymodem, it does a disk access every kilobyte.
Needless to say, this is not good.  Is there a way around this, or are
you pretty much expected to use the external Zmodem that is provided?
This may be in the documentation, but I'm many years out of practice
with German.

(BTW, you can't see an entire 80X24 screen unless you change the font
that it comes up in to something smaller.  Then it all fits nicely.)
chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
"one thing about a police state, you can always find the police" l. neil smith
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

wolfram@cip-s08.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) (04/12/91)

chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:

>[with the] internal Xmodem or Ymodem, it does a disk access every kilobyte.
>Needless to say, this is not good.  Is there a way around this, or are
>you pretty much expected to use the external Zmodem that is provided?

Using ZModem is highly recommended. My version of rz only accesses the disk
at the end of the file, meaning that it receives the file into memory and
then saves it after EOT.
I have never tried the internal X/YModem. The external ZModem is much better,
also because it starts automatically.

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (04/15/91)

wolfram@cip-s08.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) writes:

>>[with the] internal Xmodem or Ymodem, it does a disk access every kilobyte.
>>Needless to say, this is not good.  Is there a way around this, or are
>>you pretty much expected to use the external Zmodem that is provided?

>Using ZModem is highly recommended. My version of rz only accesses the disk
>at the end of the file, meaning that it receives the file into memory and
>then saves it after EOT.
>I have never tried the internal X/YModem. The external ZModem is much better,
>also because it starts automatically.

Trouble is, I can't get Zmodem to work in multi-tasking mode when using
RUFUS as a desk accessory.  X/Y is slightly slower, but when you can do
other work while the download is taking place, who cares!

Rufus is really great!
Warwick.
--
  _--_|\   	warwick@cs.uq.oz.au
 /      *  <--	Computer Science Department,