[comp.sys.atari.st] Mega Ste and Clab's notator?

johnj@hijg.prl.philips.nl (John Janssen) (03/13/91)

Hi netfellows,

After trying to find out how to upgrade my ST520+ (=1MB) to 2.5MB,
I think I found someone who is willing to buy the machine from me
for a good price (well anyway the price is good enough for me).

So now other possibilities are there for me: Buying a Mega Ste!

As I still want to use my software on the machine
I do have some questions:

1. Does C-lab's NOTATOR run on the Mega Ste.
   Possible forseeing problems will do as well (if there are any).

2. Can I still connect C-labs's SMPTY/EBU synchronising box
   (called UNITOR) to the Mega Ste?
   And what's more, does it stil works, as (imo) Unitor uses the
   rom-port on a rather dirty way?

3. Something completely different from music:
   As I bought the RAM upgrade (1M chips), can I just buy a
   2MB Mega Ste version and plug in the 1M chips (from the
   left over Xtra Ram upgrade kit) to make a 4MB Mega Ste?

Thanks in advance.

--
John Janssen          Reply: johnj@idms.prl.philips.nl
J.v.Deventerstr.1

Shervin.Shahrebani.Of.250/744@f744.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Shervin Shahrebani Of 250/744) (04/05/91)

I can tell you this much, Notator 3.0 works great with the new Mega STE.

S.S.

alexd@milton.u.washington.edu (Alex Danilchik) (04/10/91)

In article <670918973.3@egsgate.FidoNet.Org> Shervin.Shahrebani.Of.250/744@f744.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Shervin Shahrebani Of 250/744) writes:
>I can tell you this much, Notator 3.0 works great with the new Mega STE.
>
>S.S.

I don't have a Mega STe... but, i have been told
by someone using the Mega STe with NOTATOR that because you must
disable the cache to run NOTATOR.. you really only see
about a 20% overall speed improvement over an 8 mhz ST..

Is this what you find to be about right?

cheers!
gunnar
alexd@milton.u.washington.edu

johnj@knor.prl.philips.nl (John Janssen) (04/11/91)

In article <670918973.3@egsgate.FidoNet.Org> Shervin.Shahrebani.Of.250/744@f744.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Shervin Shahrebani Of 250/744) writes:
>I can tell you this much, Notator 3.0 works great with the new Mega STE.
>
>S.S.

Does anyone know if it runs with UNITOR (C-lab's smpty synchronise
unit which must be connected to the rom port).

O boy, I have to wait till May, before the Mega STe becomes
available in Holland, my dealer said.

--
John Janssen        Check the email address in the header, as this
J.v.Deventerstr.1   may have been filled in wrong by the system.

alexd@milton.u.washington.edu (Alex Danilchik) (04/16/91)

In article <2699@prles2.prl.philips.nl> johnj@knor.UUCP (John Janssen) writes:
>In article <670918973.3@egsgate.FidoNet.Org> Shervin.Shahrebani.Of.250/744@f744.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Shervin Shahrebani Of 250/744) writes:
>>I can tell you this much, Notator 3.0 works great with the new Mega STE.
>>
>>S.S.

Mikail at C-LAB says you see about a 20% increase in
speed with a MegaSTe.. less than what one would hope..
due to the fact that you have to disable the cache
to run NOTATOR.. once you do that .. the MegaSTe doesn't
seem to do much better than the 8 mhz ST's... i am told.

cheers!
gunnar
alexd@milton.u.washington.edu