[comp.sys.atari.st] smail on Atari ST

gdo@mirsa.inria.fr (Guillaume Doumenc) (04/07/91)

I've read a few months ago that there was a port of smail for the Atari on
the way. Is it finished now, and if yes is it available somewhere ?

Thanks !

jan@janhh.hanse.de (Jan Willamowius) (04/09/91)

From article <10713@mirsa.inria.fr>, by gdo@mirsa.inria.fr (Guillaume Doumenc):
> I've read a few months ago that there was a port of smail for the Atari on
> the way. Is it finished now, and if yes is it available somewhere ?

I did a port quite a while ago and it runs on a few German sites. It
can be used in a slightly modified Mercuy-UUCP enviromnet. It's not
available thru FTP yet, but I guess I'll put it on a German FTP host RSN.
I'll post detailed information when it's on available.

- Jan

--
Jan Willamowius, Nienredder 6, 2000 Hamburg 54, Germany
E-Mail: jan@janhh.hanse.de

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (04/09/91)

[In article <10713@mirsa.inria.fr>,
     gdo@mirsa.inria.fr (Guillaume Doumenc) writes ... ]

> I've read a few months ago that there was a port of smail for the Atari on
> the way. Is it finished now, and if yes is it available somewhere ?

I'm using a version of smail that has been, in my opinion, finished for
quite a long time. However, I didn't port it. The people who did the port
have not released it for distribution, so I can't pass it around. Sorry.

The program also depends on the existence of several related programs
(uucico, lmail, email, etc.) that also have not been released.

I wish I could be more encouraging, but if the program I'm using is the
one you've been waiting to see released, I'm afraid it's simply stuck in
limbo.

----
  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve
  GEnie: S.YELVINGTO2               Delphi: YELVINGTON

darius@edm.isac.CA (Darius S. Naqvi) (04/10/91)

In article <A2739803784@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>[In article <10713@mirsa.inria.fr>,
>     gdo@mirsa.inria.fr (Guillaume Doumenc) writes ... ]
>
>> I've read a few months ago that there was a port of smail for the Atari on
>> the way. Is it finished now, and if yes is it available somewhere ?
>
>I'm using a version of smail that has been, in my opinion, finished for
>quite a long time. However, I didn't port it. The people who did the port
>have not released it for distribution, so I can't pass it around. Sorry.

Is this the Smail that we all know and love that runs on UNIX boxes,
i.e. the mail delivery agent?  If it is, then it's covered by the GNU
copyleft, so any version should be freely distributable.

I'd be interested in using this as the mail delivery agent when
running MINIX, as soon as I get UUCP for MINIX working properly.

--
Darius S. Naqvi                    mail:darius@edm.isac.ca
ISA Corp.                          uucp:{uunet,alberta}!ncc!isagate!darius

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (04/10/91)

[In article <1991Apr09.184253.5423@edm.isac.CA>,
     darius@edm.isac.CA (Darius S. Naqvi) writes ... ]

> Is this the Smail that we all know and love that runs on UNIX boxes,
> i.e. the mail delivery agent?  If it is, then it's covered by the GNU
> copyleft, so any version should be freely distributable.

The program is Smail 2.5, originally by Christopher Seiwald. It accepts
data from standard input, processes the headers as necessary, looks up a
mailpath, and pipes the result to either a local delivery agent (lmail) or
to uux for execution of rmail on a remote machine.

The Smail source code that I have bears neither copyright nor copyleft.
Smail 3.x, which is a different program entirely, may be covered by the
GNU agreement. I don't know.

Smail is written with many assumptions about the nature of the underlying
operating system that are not valid for TOS. Several people had to invent
some clever work-arounds to compensate for the single-tasking nature of
TOS, cover for some rather obscure bugs in Atari's operating system, and
resolve other system dependencies.

Some of those work-arounds involve altering the Smail source code, but
most of them involve writing a C library to supplement dLibs. That library
hasn't been released, and since it's not mine, I can't be the one to
release it.

Somebody else has mentioned a version of Smail for Rodney's Mercury UUCP.
That might be worth looking into. There's also an MS-DOS port of Smail
(ftp wuarchive.wustl.edu) that might be useful for people interested in
whipping up their own TOS Smail.

(Actually, after using Smail for quite some time, I'm not convinced that
it's an appropriate tool for the average ST-based mail system, which is
likely to be a leaf node.)

> I'd be interested in using this as the mail delivery agent when
> running MINIX, as soon as I get UUCP for MINIX working properly.

I think that for Minix you should compile the standard Unix Smail.

----

darius@edm.isac.CA (Darius S. Naqvi) (04/14/91)

In article <A1373836938@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>[In article <1991Apr09.184253.5423@edm.isac.CA>,
>     darius@edm.isac.CA (Darius S. Naqvi) writes ... ]
>
>> Is this the Smail that we all know and love that runs on UNIX boxes,
>> i.e. the mail delivery agent?  If it is, then it's covered by the GNU
>> copyleft, so any version should be freely distributable.
>
>The program is Smail 2.5, originally by Christopher Seiwald. It accepts
>data from standard input, processes the headers as necessary, looks up a
>mailpath, and pipes the result to either a local delivery agent (lmail) or
>to uux for execution of rmail on a remote machine.
>
>The Smail source code that I have bears neither copyright nor copyleft.
>Smail 3.x, which is a different program entirely, may be covered by the
>GNU agreement. I don't know.

Information in the files README-3.1.19 and COPYING from the
distribution for smail 3.1.19 names Landon Curt Noll and Ronald S.
Karr as the authors, and places it under the GNU General Public
License, which more or less says that all versions based on this version
are free and must be distributed with source code, with no charge
other than a nominal charge for making copies.  (This is what I was
talking about when I mentioned the ``GNU Copyleft''.)

Possibly what happened is that the above two people took smail 2.5 (or
some other version) and modified it a lot, and then placed the whole
thing under the Gnu Copyleft.

>> I'd be interested in using this as the mail delivery agent when
>> running MINIX, as soon as I get UUCP for MINIX working properly.
>
>I think that for Minix you should compile the standard Unix Smail.

Assuming that my guess above is correct, that would be a good idea.
I like smail 3.1.19, but it would probably take up too many resources
for minix (i.e., ram, disk space, cpu cycles).  If smail 2.5 is more
or less the same thing with fewer features (hence smaller, less cpu
intensive, etc.) it would be worth a try.  The only problem is that I
assume that any archive sites with UNIX smail will have the latest 3.x
version.  Where could I get the standard UNIX smail v2.5, i.e., the
version that was modified for TOS *minus* all the modifications?

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (04/17/91)

[In article <1991Apr14.071306.3889@edm.isac.CA>,
     darius@edm.isac.CA (Darius S. Naqvi) writes ... ]

> Possibly what happened is that the above two people took smail 2.5 (or
> some other version) and modified it a lot, and then placed the whole
> thing under the Gnu Copyleft.

No, Smail 3.x is definitely a fresh start. I'm not a 3.x guru, but
as I understand it, it was intended as a replacement for Sendmail.
Among other things, it handles multiple transportation methods,
while Smail 2.x doesn't.

> version.  Where could I get the standard UNIX smail v2.5, i.e., the
> version that was modified for TOS *minus* all the modifications?

I'm afraid I don't know much about how to find Unix archives, but
you could ask in the appropriate Unix newsgroup, comp.mail.uucp, or
even comp.os.minix -- I wouldn't be surprised to find that somebody's
already done the work for you.

 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org