[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Mega STE

Shervin.Shahrebani.Of.250/744@f744.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Shervin Shahrebani Of 250/744) (04/14/91)

I just purchased an Atari Mega STE 1 without a hard disk for $925 Canadian from
a dealer here in Toronto.  I love the machine and highly reccommend it.  I plan
to put in a nice 105 Mb SCSI Quantum hard disk later on.  The new OS is nice,
and so is the new control panel.  The machine is fast in 16 Mhz with cache mode,
very fast.  Compatibility in 8 Mhz mode is excellent.  HRAMDISK and some demos
are the only programs that have not run on it so far.  TCB Cuddly Demo was one
of them (very much a surprise to me).  In 16 Mhz mode with cache, most games
don't run.  Many productivity programs run, but I have not used all my programs
yet.  Atari is providing 1.44 Mb upgrades soon which should be nice.

S.S.

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/18/91)

 Of 250/744) writes:

- I just purchased an Atari Mega STE 1 without a hard disk for $925
- Canadian from a dealer here in Toronto.

Congratulations.  I assuming that the machine has the host adapter
already installed.  Is this correct?

- HRAMDISK and some demos are the only programs that have not run on
- it so far.  TCB Cuddly Demo was one of them (very much a surprise
- to me).

The TCB Cuddly Demo doesn't work on the STe either, unfortunately.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

rwa@cs.athabascau.ca (Ross Alexander) (04/18/91)

Of 250/744) writes:

>- I just purchased an Atari Mega STE 1 without a hard disk for $925
>- Canadian from a dealer here in Toronto.

Fine.  You mention that the machine will run at 16 MHz.  Are you
*quite sure* about that (no offense, just that a certain nameless
salesdroid tried to steer me into a IMHO overpriced Mega STe 2 with
the claim that the STe 1 only ran at 8 MHz; I was *not* amused...)

Thanks, and please post your reply; I think interest in this point
would be general.

--
Ross Alexander    rwa@cs.athabascau.ca    (403) 675 6311    ve6pdq
    "I'd like MY data-base JULIENNED and stir-fried!" -- Zippy