[comp.sys.atari.st] SIMPLE terminal emulator

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (04/12/91)

Is there a SIMPLE terminal emulator at atari.archive?  I use Uniterm for
most things, but I'd like a REALLY simple emulator for quickly switching
back and forth from the command line (Mupfel) to the terminal emulator.
I don't want any screen clears and stuff like that, just plain AUX:<->CON:
type commumnication.  Mupfel has a variable sized Console Window, but I
can hack TERMCAP at the Uni end to correct for that.

Alternatively, is there source to a fairly simple emulator that I can strip
down somewhat?

Thanks for any info!
Warwick

--
  _--_|\   	warwick@cs.uq.oz.au
 /      *  <--	Computer Science Department,

entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu (entropy) (04/12/91)

In article <747@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) writes:

>Is there a SIMPLE terminal emulator at atari.archive?  I use Uniterm for
>most things, but I'd like a REALLY simple emulator for quickly switching
>back and forth from the command line (Mupfel) to the terminal emulator.
>I don't want any screen clears and stuff like that, just plain AUX:<->CON:
>type commumnication.  Mupfel has a variable sized Console Window, but I

Look in the directory atari/mint and you will find 2 programs that
should suit your needs, st52 by me and tip by Howard Chu.  If you need
any features at all, use Howard's program, as mine takes the
expression 'dumb terminal' very literally.

entropy

wolfram@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) (04/18/91)

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) writes:

>Is there a SIMPLE terminal emulator at atari.archive?

The Okami Shell has a built-in command named `te' which will do exactly this.
However, if you have a C compiler, it's not hard to write:

terminal()
{
  int c;
  long w;
  for(;;)
  {
    c=Bconin(1);	/* read from aux */
    Cconout(c);		/* output read char */
    if (Cconis())	/* only if key was pressed */
    {
      w=Cnecin();	/* read from con */
      if ((w>>16)==EXIT)
	break;		/* terminal exit condition */
      Bconout(1,(int)w);/* output to aux */
    }
  }
}

EXIT should be #defined to be the scancode of the key you want to exit the
terminal with (UNDO for instance).
I am using Gemdos for console I/O so it can be redirected.
CU
Wolfram