[comp.sys.atari.st] RISC business

kiki@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jack W. Wine) (04/18/91)

+vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) writes:

+From an article in April Datamation, I see that Sparc International is only
+half-open: Their "shrink-wrap" API requires Sun-OS.  The article was about
+the 88000.  88Open doesn't require a certain OS to be compliant...

SunOS can be licensed from either Sun or Interactive Systems.  Wouldn't
a stringent OS compliance policy for the 88Open be better for developers
and users, in the long run?

+The article praised the 88000 and 88Open on technical grounds, but mentioned
+that Motorola's marketing was "methodical at best."  It also mentioned that
+Motorola has cut the 88000 price by 2/3, and that the 88010 will be out "soon"
+Top-of-the-line 88000 is about as fast for non-floating-point as the fastest
+Sparc or MIPS, but has better support for multiprocessor architectures
+(according to Harris, who build a multiprocessor server from it)....

I won't argue about the technical superiority of the 88000, but the first ques-
tion I would have is whether Motorola would allow it to be second-sourced.
Apple and NeXT are supposedly planning systems around the 88010, but I think
they are keeping their fingers crossed too. Hopefully Motorola, MIPS and others
will provide effective competition, because we would all end up winning.  Al-
though the number of applications might be about equal for the 88000 and SPARC,
Sun has reached a critical mass by selling over a million SPARC-based systems.
With the expected flood of SPARC clones, application development would become
increasingly accelerated.

#plinio@turing.seas.ucla.edu (Plinio Barbeito) writes [about PgC7600]:

#Sounds good, but does this mean that standard RAM chips will be
#incompatible with the bipolar version of the PgC?  I hope this is not
#true of the other version, at least.

There probably is level translation, but don't know for sure.

>I think Atari might be in a better position to deliver and support a marketable
>product based on the PgC chips, because of their experience with the Inmos
>transputer and Helios OS, which culminated in the ATW computer.

#I'm confident of Atari's ability to create excellent hardware, and
#even software, but seeking them out for the strength of their marketing
#of the ATW sounds funny somewhere :-).

It wasn't because of their (past) marketing strength, that I thought a PgC-
based system from Atari was plausible.  Their development (in conjunction
with Perihelion Hardware and Software) of the ATW, resulted in a system with
awesome capabilities.  Unfortunately, it was based on chips from a manufacturer
who was financially unstable and incapable of producing the chips in volume.
The complexity and pricing of a transputer limited the ATW to research insti-
tutions, but the explicit design goal for the PgC 7600 was its basis in very
inexpensive workstations ($500-$2000?), which coincides with Atari's arena.

There are enough similarities between the Inmos transputers w/ Helios OS and
a PgC 7600 w/ Taos, so that Atari will be able to translate their experience
as well as any other firm.  They have marketing capabilities that are superior
to Sinclair's and it will be a lot easier to sell a $1000 80 Mips PgC-based
computer capable of running MS-DOS/MAC/GEM programs than a $8000 12.5 Mips
transputer-based system.

#...($20 for 160MIPS still sounds a bit off the far end, though).

I have to agree, the proof is in the Cambridge pudding.  As a wild guess, if
it takes an average of 8-10 Pgc7600 instructions to emulate an 68000 instruc-
tion, then at 160 Mips it would be equivalent to a 20-16 Mips 68000 cpu.  Since
the PgC7600 is only capable of 80 Mips when coupled with cheaper 80ns DRAM,
then the performance would be equivalent to a 10-8 Mips 68000 and a 20-16 Mips
8086, assuming 4-8 Pgc7600 instructions to emulate it.  The prices for the
equivalent systems would be in the $3000+ range.

Jack

P.S. For anyone interested in the Inmos transputers, Computer Systems Archi-
tects (CSA) is offering the Transputer Education Kit.  The kit is comprised
of a IBM PC add-in board with a 20 Mhz 32-bit T425 processor, two compilers
(Occam and C), an assembler and 1500 pages of docs for an introductory price
of $236.  Options include 4MB of local DRAM, faster processors and upgraded
software.  Contact CSA, 950 N. University Ave, Provo, UT 84604  (801) 374-2300,
FAX: (801) 374-2306.

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (04/19/91)

In article <12536@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> kiki@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jack W. Wine) writes:

>+vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) writes:
>
>+From an article in April Datamation, I see that Sparc International is only
>+half-open: Their "shrink-wrap" API requires Sun-OS.  The article was about
>+the 88000.  88Open doesn't require a certain OS to be compliant...
>
>SunOS can be licensed from either Sun or Interactive Systems.  Wouldn't
>a stringent OS compliance policy for the 88Open be better for developers
>and users, in the long run?

88Open requires just as stringent compliance as Sparc International.  The
difference is that 88Open depends on the _external_ behaviour of the OS,
while Sparc International depends on the _internal_ behaviour of the OS.
Even in 1972, Parnas told us this was _bad_ software engineering.

>+The article praised the 88000 and 88Open on technical grounds, but mentioned
>+that Motorola's marketing was "methodical at best."  It also mentioned that
>+Motorola has cut the 88000 price by 2/3, and that the 88010 will be out "soon"
>+Top-of-the-line 88000 is about as fast for non-floating-point as the fastest
>+Sparc or MIPS, but has better support for multiprocessor architectures
>+(according to Harris, who build a multiprocessor server from it)....
>
>I won't argue about the technical superiority of the 88000, but the first ques-
>tion I would have is whether Motorola would allow it to be second-sourced...

Probably not.  Motorola has good engineers.  That's all.

>It wasn't because of their (past) marketing strength, that I thought a PgC-
>based system from Atari was plausible.  Their development (in conjunction
>with Perihelion Hardware and Software) of the ATW, resulted in a system with
>awesome capabilities.  Unfortunately, it was based on chips from a manufacturer
>who was financially unstable and incapable of producing the chips in volume...

It's my understanding that part of Inmos' problem was in getting screwed by
US DoD:  They set up a factory in Colorado Springs, from which Atari hoped
to get Transputers.  Then US DoD wouldn't let Inmos re-export Transputers
to UK!.  Not wanting to keep two Transputer production lines going, Inmos
shut down the Colorado Springs operation, and got hurt in the overall deal.

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

bcasper@taco.cc (BRIAN CASPER) (04/19/91)