[comp.sys.atari.st] M-Tools, where to ftp from?

longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) (04/10/91)

After listening to all the talk of 3.5 floppies on Sparcs writing
ST compatible disks, I now find myself wishing I had paid attention!

We just got another Sparc in the lab, and this one has a 3.5 floppy drive.

SO...... where can I get the latest, greatest version of M-Tools, and what
should I look for to avoid the problems I have seen posted in the past?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Capt Jeff Long                         Rome Air Development Center
longj@lonex.radc.af.mil                Network Design Laboratory
jlong@cassiopeia.radc.af.mil           (315)330-7751 or (DSN)587-7751

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (04/11/91)

Mtools can be ftp'ed from cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.101).

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (04/11/91)

In article <3174@laura.UUCP> klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:

|    Mtools can be ftp'ed from cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.101).

But watch out!  Their ftp is a bit flakey.  Watch out for truncated
files.
--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

pyr579@oz.plymouth.edu (Technoid) (04/12/91)

In article <RALPH.91Apr11115422@orion.laas.fr> ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) writes:
>In article <3174@laura.UUCP> klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) writes:
>|
>|    Mtools can be ftp'ed from cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.101).
>
>But watch out!  Their ftp is a bit flakey.  Watch out for truncated
>files.
>--

I'd like to ftp this prg, but don't know how to find the time-zome for a
.mil site, could someone tell me what it is so I don't get busted calling
during business hours.

Stephan
--
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
  pyr579@oz.plymouth.edu      Stephan R. Cleaves

bcc@Eyring.COM (Brian Cooper) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr10.130242.26931@lonex.radc.af.mil> longj@lonex.radc.af.mil (Jeffrey K. Long) writes:
>SO...... where can I get the latest, greatest version of M-Tools, and what
>should I look for to avoid the problems I have seen posted in the past?

The canonical version of Mtools is indeed posted at the .mil site mentioned
in recent postings, but when I tried to FTP it (it is a 4-part set) one of
the parts absolutely refused to transfer completely.  It invariably truncated
every time I copied it.  I finally got a good copy at inria.inria.fr.  The
version I located is v2.0, and has support for CD, FORMAT, LABEL, and ATTRIB,
plus a mkmanifest tool to assist in restoring unix file names that get lost
in the translation to DOS file names.

mforget@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Michel Forget) (04/18/91)

> The canonical version of Mtools is indeed posted at the .mil site mentioned
> in recent postings, but when I tried to FTP it (it is a 4-part set) one of
> the parts absolutely refused to transfer completely.  It invariably truncated
> every time I copied it.  I finally got a good copy at inria.inria.fr.  The
> version I located is v2.0, and has support for CD, FORMAT, LABEL, and ATTRIB,
> plus a mkmanifest tool to assist in restoring unix file names that get lost
> in the translation to DOS file names.

What is M-Tools, exactly?  I haven't heard of it before, so I'm curious.
It it a HD Utility, or is it some form of CLI?  Thanks for the
information (I hope).

<<  ersys!mforget@nro.cs.athabascau.ca  >>
<<  or in the language that PEOPLE use  >>
<<  Michel Forget...:)                  >>

klute@tommy.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (04/19/91)

In article <kTTk12w164w@ersys.uucp>, ersys!mforget@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
(Michel Forget) writes:
|> What is M-Tools, exactly?  I haven't heard of it before, so I'm curious.
|> information (I hope).

It is a set of programs that lets you handle floppies formatted for MS-DOS
(or Atari) on your Unix machine.

I have it installed on my Sun IPC and use it to exchange files with my
Atari ST. The big plus is that it works much faster than transfer over the
serial line.

--

bcc@Eyring.COM (Brian Cooper) (04/19/91)

In article <kTTk12w164w@ersys.uucp> ersys!mforget@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Michel Forget) writes:
>> The canonical version of Mtools is indeed posted at the .mil site mentioned
>> in recent postings, but when I tried to FTP it (it is a 4-part set) one of
>> the parts absolutely refused to transfer completely.  It invariably truncated
>> every time I copied it.  I finally got a good copy at inria.inria.fr.  The
>> version I located is v2.0, and has support for CD, FORMAT, LABEL, and ATTRIB,
>> plus a mkmanifest tool to assist in restoring unix file names that get lost
>> in the translation to DOS file names.
>

>What is M-Tools, exactly?  I haven't heard of it before, so I'm curious.
>It it a HD Utility, or is it some form of CLI?  Thanks for the
>information (I hope).

Mtools does not run on an ST -- at least it has no reason to.  It is a set of
utilities to assist cross-developers on non-DOS/non-TOS machines.  Originally,
it was created to allow someone on a Sun read/write IBM floppy disks.  Since
TOS is compatible with the IBM format, a Unix-noid can use it to download
favorite comp.binaries.atari.st stuff from the network directly to disk.
Another possibility is to run the Sozobon compiler on the Unix machine,
create binaries for TOS and write them to the floppy disk directly with
Mtools.  The process avoids Kermit and the other messy serial protocols.  The
code is easily ported to other hosts, as long as you have some way of reading
a 512-byte sector from the raw disk.  We have Emmet P. Gray to thank for this;
I only use them.
Brian Cooper.