[comp.sys.atari.st] Supra HD utilities..I need 'em!

reyy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/17/91)

Greetings,

I've just received a SupraDrive Hard Disk from a friend,
but I can't seem to get it working on my ST.  I'm very
new at hard drives, so everything I've done is experimental.
About all I've been able to do is test the access speed with
HDCHCK13.TOS!

I think my problem is that I need a copy of the utilities
that go with the hard drive (i.e. Supra's utilities).  But
neither my friend nor I have them.  (is this assumption
correct?  i.e., I can't use non-Supra utilities on a Supra
drive?  I tried HDX and no-go.)

So, that means I need a copy of these utilities.  Is there any
reason why someone can't mail them to me?  (I've got the drive,
it should be legal to have the utilities, too!)  If not, does
anyone have a copy they can send me???  Please???

FYI, my setup is (and don't laugh):
Atari 520ST
TOS1.0
1 DSDD drive, 1 SSDD drive
SC1224 Monitor
20 MB SupraDrive, upgraded to 50 MB (w/ a Seagate ST157N I believe)

Thanks,
David S. Rowell
REYY@Vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Internet)
.sig available upon request

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr16.234953.4088@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> reyy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>I think my problem is that I need a copy of the utilities
>that go with the hard drive (i.e. Supra's utilities).  But
>neither my friend nor I have them.  (is this assumption
>correct?  i.e., I can't use non-Supra utilities on a Supra
>drive?  I tried HDX and no-go.)

You should be able to use any utilities, including HDX.  However, you
will have to tell HDX the parameters of the drive (#heads, cylinders,
sectors, etc.) in order to format the drive properly.  Since you've
upgraded the drive by replacing the mechanism, even the Supra
utilities might not work for you.  They know about the mechanisms that
Supra uses but not necessarily about the one you put in.

Have you tried calling Supra for a copy of the utilities?  They might
be willing to send them to you if you can furnish them with a serial
number.

| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |