[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari & MAC, SPECTRE...

francois@LOIRE.EDRC.CMU.EDU (Francois Bonnafy) (04/19/91)

I offen heard from these emulators for the Atari, allowing it to run Mac
software . Advertising says that it is wunderful, efficient, fast, sure...

But say, who believe advertising?

So my questions:

- Do ALL the software for Mackies function on the emulator?

- how fast is it in comparison to a Mac LC or IIsi?

- How offen do the programs cras down?

_ What kind of hardware can you use with it (Portrait Screens CD, ...)

I will compile the answer and make a posting of it

Thank you in advance

Francois

s37837k@saha.hut.fi (Jari Lehto) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr18.211304.4775@cs.cmu.edu> francois@LOIRE.EDRC.CMU.EDU (Francois Bonnafy) writes:
>I offen heard from these emulators for the Atari, allowing it to run Mac
>software . Advertising says that it is wunderful, efficient, fast, sure...
>
>But say, who believe advertising?
>
>So my questions:
>
>- Do ALL the software for Mackies function on the emulator?

Not all, but a large majority. Those having copyprotection rarely
work, because they try to directly look the floppy-controller.
Generally, programs that do direct hardware access, won't work
I have found very few of them.

>- how fast is it in comparison to a Mac LC or IIsi?

With basic ST/Mega, it is 20% faster than Mac Plus.
But with accelerator installed, you can even beat Mac IIfx...
Dunno about these models you asked.

>- How offen do the programs cras down?

Some can do it regularly... But normally a crash occurs quite seldom.
It depends what are you running. I have used Spectre without crash many
days without even resetting the machine. And Spectre can recover from quite
severe crashes too.

>_ What kind of hardware can you use with it (Portrait Screens CD, ...)

Almost any hardware, ST or Mac oriented. No Mac-screens can be used,
but there are quite many graphics-cards available for ST. And TT has enough
resolution without any cards.
You can even use AppleTalk and Mac SCSI with a special interface.
TT has it's own LAN, that works like AppleTalk with Spectre.

>I will compile the answer and make a posting of it
>
>Thank you in advance
>
>Francois

No problem.

				Jartsu
*		Nothing yet, but I'll keep on scanning...		*