[comp.sys.atari.st] Turbo C

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (07/06/88)

Date: 29 June 1988, 10:38:57 MES
From: Julian F. Reschke         (02501) 13279        ONM07    at DMSWWU1A
      Linckensstrasse 113
      4400 Muenster
To:   Info Atari16-Digest                            INFO-ATA at SCORE

And here are the results of the westfalian jury:
Turbo-C (Beta-Test) benchmarks at 1700 Dhrystones/s.

Julian F. Reschke

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (08/10/88)

Date: 10 August 1988, 11:51:46 MES
From: Julian F. Reschke         (02501) 13279        ONM07    at DMSWWU1A

And -- best of all -- Turbo C is an ANSI-Compiler!
You will never switch back to 'old C' after using ANSI!

Julian Reschke (Turbo C Beta Tester)

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET (08/30/88)

Date: 30 August 1988, 14:05:23 MES
From: Julian F. Reschke         (02501) 13279        ONM07    at DMSWWU1A
To:   Info Atari16-Digest                            info-ata at score
Turbo-C is definitively NOT vapourware. We are testing the product since
May and I got the final version just yesterday. The handbook is printed
since end of july, so there is no reason, why Heimsoeth&Borland
shouldn't ship the product this month.
// Julian F. Reschke

pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) (01/06/89)

Recently the president of ISD talked about the DTP prograM Calamus,
and he mentioned that it is written in Turbo C (by Borland)!  How
can that be true?  Turbo c really exists?

In article <834@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> pa1132@sdcc15.UUCP () writes:
>Recently the president of ISD talked about the DTP prograM Calamus,
>and he mentioned that it is written in Turbo C (by Borland)!  How
>can that be true?  Turbo c really exists?

Yep, Turbo C really exists. In Germany. With German documentation. Since
I can't read German, I've made no great pains to investigate further...
It would be nice if Borland would release it here in the US. Apparently
it's the fastest compiler yet, and produces the fastest code, by a pretty
good margin, from the numbers I've seen. And having worked with Turbo C and
Pascal on PCs, I'm pretty willing to believe 'em...
--
  /
 /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu

mn@atari.UUCP (Mike Nowicki) (01/07/89)

  There is a version of Turboc C for the ST which I have seen an early
version of. It's a hack from Germany and can probably be ordered if you can
find a vendor handling it who has good connections for German software
companies.

rcd@mtuxo.att.com (XG1V6-R.DUTT) (01/07/89)

In article <537@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu>, hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
> Apparently it's the fastest compiler yet, and produces the fastest code,
> by a pretty good margin, from the numbers I've seen. And having worked
> with Turbo C and Pascal on PCs, I'm pretty willing to believe 'em...

On a MEGA 2 ST (68000 CPU and 8 MHz clock) Turbo C (1.0) achieved a throughput
of 1730 Dhrystones/sec. By comparison, Aztec C (3.6A) clocks in at
851 Dhry/sec on the same system, which is probably typical of most other
compilers.

-Rana Dutt
AT&T Bell Labs, Middletown, NJ
...!att!mtuxo!rcd

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (01/07/89)

in article <834@sdcc15.ucsd.edu>, pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) says:
> Sender:pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu
> Keywords:Calamus, Turbo C
>
> Recently the president of ISD talked about the DTP prograM Calamus,
> and he mentioned that it is written in Turbo C (by Borland)!  How
> can that be true?  Turbo c really exists?

Turbo-C has been released in Germany by Heimsoft, having been developed
there under a direct contract with a third party compiler company.
Atari Sunnyvale received a copy and has made some comments to the
originators.
Distribution rights for the US are/were being negotiated by Sig Hartmann of
Atari with Philippe Kahn of Borland. I understand that business issues are
the sticking point at this juncture, but Sig would have more information.
If I hear of any progress I'll post it, natuerlich!
Roy Good/Atari

good@atari.UUCP (Roy Good) (01/07/89)

in article <1297@atari.UUCP>, mn@atari.UUCP (Mike Nowicki) says:

>   There is a version of Turboc C for the ST which I have seen an early
> version of. It's a hack from Germany and can probably be ordered if you can
> find a vendor handling it who has good connections for German software
> companies.

I hate to contradict one of our own, but in the interests of accuracy, as
I mentioned in a (slightly) earlier posting, this is a formally released and
supported third-party product via Heimsoft in Germany. The product I have seen
has screens etc in English but manuals in German. I have no idea of the
legalities of who can distribute what, where, under the name of Turbo-C, but
I do know Sig Hartmann was in direct contact with Borland.
Maybe a little lobbying of Borland might push them to see the potential
market here.
Roy Good/Atari

wright@hpccc.HP.COM (Jeff Wright) (01/07/89)

> It would be nice if Borland would release it here in the US.

Any idea how to influence them?  E-mail addresses?

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (01/07/89)

In article <537@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
>Yep, Turbo C really exists. ...
>Apparently
>it's the fastest compiler yet, and produces the fastest code, by a pretty
>good margin, from the numbers I've seen.

I have seen some benchmark numbers in the "ST-Computer" (a
German ST magazin). They compared Laser C and Turbo C and it
turned out that Turbo C generated faster code but Laser C had
better compile times.

  Rainer Klute                  ----   klute@irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Universitaet Dortmund, IRB    |)|/   klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500               |\|\   ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50              ----   Tel.: +49 231 7554663

Robert_Bob_Mulholland@cup.portal.com (01/08/89)

Yes, according to STart magazine Turbo C does exist, but not in the U.S. I
believe the article stated that Turbo C is available in West Germany, where I
believe Calamus was also created.

steve@pnet51.cts.com (Steve Yelvington) (01/09/89)

pa1132@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1132) writes:
>Recently the president of ISD talked about the DTP prograM Calamus,
>and he mentioned that it is written in Turbo C (by Borland)!  How
>can that be true?  Turbo c really exists?

Turbo C/ST does exist. Peter Glasmacher, a West German national who lives in
the United States, has used it to port Binkley Term, a Fidonet mailer, to the
ST. He can be contacted at his BBS, The Black Hole, at (408) 985-1538.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!steve
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!steve@nosc.mil
INET: steve@pnet51.cts.com
  -----------
  -or-
  stag!thelake!steve@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
  "A member of STdNET -- the ST Developers' Network"

alfred@dutesta.UUCP (Herman Adriani & Alfred Kayser) (01/09/89)

In article <537@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
|Yep, Turbo C really exists. In Germany. With German documentation. Since
|I can't read German, I've made no great pains to investigate further...
|It would be nice if Borland would release it here in the US. Apparently
|it's the fastest compiler yet, and produces the fastest code, by a pretty
|good margin, from the numbers I've seen. And having worked with Turbo C and
|Pascal on PCs, I'm pretty willing to believe 'em...

A friend of me owns Turbo C. We tested it a bit (just a bit) against MWC, which
I own. I saw that Turbo C was just a little bit faster, not too fast for me
selling MWC!!!. And if you want to do floating point, well don't use Turbo C
it is 2 times SLOWER than MWC.

compile times:
    I use a 1040 ST + SH204 + turbodos (yes I use it without any problems).
    both have nearly the same compile+link time.

We encountered some other problems with compiling some excisting code. Turbo C
doesn't always generate working code. I haven't found that problem yet, but I
will keep searching.

Now you would think I don't like Turbo C. That isn't true, Turbo C is an
ansi compiler, MWC is NOT, the handbook is good and it comes with an integral
editor linker compiler tools 'shell'.

If I didn't own MWC I should buy (or least think about it) Turbo C. But now I
own MWC I don't switch to Turbo C, just because MWC comes with much more tools
and other things.
					Herman Adriani.
/                                                                             \
| Herman Adriani & Alfred Kayser: Computer fans especially from 24 pm to 7 am |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

iszedv@cosmo.UUCP (Thomas Ziegler/Icsezer Sigl und Ziegler) (01/10/89)

Yeah, you are right. Turbo C for the ATARI ST is avaiable, but only
in Germany. This because Borland is *not* interested in distributing
this german development (which is shipped bei Heimsoeth, the germa
distributor of borland).
Turbo C is (i think) {_the fastest and (ansi - like) strongest checking
compiler for the ST.
So if you - and many others - show your interest to Borland, they might
revert their oppinion - it'll be worth the effort.
Tell me, if you are interested in the adress (the price is -including
assembler and debugger under $90 -really!).

venta@i2ack.UUCP (Paolo Ventafridda) (01/10/89)

Hi all.
I own Turbo C, it's here in ATARI Italy since few months ago.
It works great, compiles great, runs great.
It supports shell interface as well as GEM.
Gives 1720 dhrystones, vs 1063 by MWC 2.1
In one word: "it's from Borland"!

      Paolo
      Sysop STlog , Milano, Italy
--
Paolo Ventafridda     Via Ottoboni 6,20148 Milano - Italy      Tel.+392-4032432
EUnet:blue@altger  eucon:venta@i2ack   BANG:{pyramid,altger,tmpmbx}!i2ack!venta

dag@per2.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) (01/10/89)

In article <3972@mtuxo.att.com>, rcd@mtuxo.att.com (XG1V6-R.DUTT) writes:
> On a MEGA 2 ST (68000 CPU and 8 MHz clock) Turbo C (1.0) achieved a throughput
> of 1730 Dhrystones/sec. By comparison, Aztec C (3.6A) clocks in at
> 851 Dhry/sec on the same system, which is probably typical of most other
> compilers.
>
> -Rana Dutt

Actually, the Mark Williams C compiler for the Atari ST have never been down
in the 851 dhrystones/sec range --

	MWC Version:	non-register	register
	   1.1		   914		  946
	  2.1.5		  1109		 1172
	   3.0		  1270		 1343

Results better than 1400 d/s were obtained with special tweeking of a few
switches, but that is cheating.

The only numbers I have for MegaMax and Lattice are from old versions

	Compiler	non-register	register
	MegaMax C	    826		  862
	MegaMax C w/opt	    834		  870
	MCC Lattice C	    524		  530	first release MCC Lattice C
	MCC Lattice C	    677		  676	shorts used in place of ints

Maybe someone could post more recent numbers for Laser (formerly MegaMax),
Lattice, Gnu, Sozobon, and any others I've forgotten (or don't know about).
If you need a copy of the Dhryston benchmark code send me mail and I'll see
what I can do.  Use the address below as the per2 address may go away soon.
    Daniel A. Glasser                           One of those things that goes
    ...!persoft!dag                             "BUMP!!!(ouch)" in the night.
 ---Persoft, Inc.---------465 Science Drive-------Madison, WI 53711-----------

iszedv@cosmo.UUCP (Thomas Ziegler/Icsezer Sigl und Ziegler) (01/17/89)

Sorry, the price for turbo C in Germany is (including assembler and
debugger) about $165.
Sorry, the price for turbo C in Germany is (including assembler

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (03/19/89)

Hello,

I remember seeing some articles posted not too long ago regarding Turbo C.
What ever happened with it?  I remember someone saying that it had a few
side effects that were difficult to debug...

If you are using Turbo C now, I would be interested in knowing what you
know to be going on with the product.

Thanks in advance,

Michael B. Vederman

--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as:

robert@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Robert de Vries) (10/16/89)

In article <1588@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> depeche@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca "Depeche Modem" writes:
>grrr. how frustrating. I can't wait to get PC-Speed so I can run f*cking
>Turbo C. I sent a letter to Megamax. I will tell you how long they take to
>reply to it...
It's really funny, because Turbo C for the ST already exists for almost a
year now. It is available from Heimsoeth in Germany who have an agreement
with the Turbo company in the USA. They use the parser from the PC version
and made their own code generator.
At this moment version 1.1 is released with support for the f68881 floating
point coprocessor. In december they release a sourcecode level debugger.
I have heard that these products are not sold in the USA, it is time
this will change, because it produces the fastest code of all ST C-compilers.
I have used a lot of them (Mark Williams, Lattice, Laser, GNU CC) and they
all compile slower and they produce slower code and larger code.
I use it all the time, and being developer of the image processing package
AIM, I know how nice a package it really is.
I have no connections with Heimsoeth in any way. I'm only very enthousiastic
about their product. It is also very cheap. In Germany it sells for 225 DM,
which will be roughly $ 100,-. This is the smallest version, without an
extra assembler. With assembler (the developers version) it costs 340 DM
($ 160)

I hope this gives a little more attention to this compiler, which deserves it
completely.

      Robert.

matsl@nada.kth.se (Mats Luthman) (10/16/89)

In article <942@dutrun.UUCP> robert@duttnph.UUCP (Robert de Vries) writes:
>I have used a lot of them (Mark Williams, Lattice, Laser, GNU CC) and they
>all compile slower and they produce slower code and larger code.

How much faster than for example Lattice C? Could you give a rough estimate
of the speed in lines per second?

Mats Luthman

robert@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Robert de Vries) (10/17/89)

In article <2095@draken.nada.kth.se> matsl@nada.kth.se (Mats Luthman) writes:
>How much faster than for example Lattice C? Could you give a rough estimate
>of the speed in lines per second?

OK, I made some coarse benchmarks. I do not have Lattice C online (on a
harddisk near me), so I used Mark Williams instead.
I compiled 4 source files of the image processing package AIM to their .o
equivalents.
The count of source lines is the sum of all include-files and the source
file.
I know that this is not very accurate, but you asked for it.

Williams C v 3.0.6
compiler-options: -c
ramdisk as tmp-drive
TurboDos installed
sources on harddisk

source	    lines	time(s)	lines/sec
aim.c	    1848	84.90	21.8
bblib5.c    1829	49.24	37.1
bblib8.c    1856	68.77	27.0
buildgra.c  907		11.09	81.8
average	    1610		41.9

Turbo C v 1.0
compiler-options: -p- -w
TurboDos installed
sources on harddisk

source	    lines   	time(s)	lines/sec
aim.c	    2807	26.15	107.3
bblib5.c    2648	20.86	126.9
bblib8.c    2909	25.37	114.7
buildgra.c  1813	11.29	160.6
average	    2544		127.4

I hope this answers your question.

      Robert
Robert de Vries            | Every opinion expressed
robert@duttnph.tudelft.nl  | above is my own.

glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/19/89)

	How about size and execution time benchmarks?
	Laser C is fast, but Sozobon C has incredibly
	smaller filesize.

	-Spieu!

krs@stag.UUCP (Kent Schumacher) (10/19/89)

[pa1329@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (pa1329) writes...]

> Turbo C will not be available for the Atari ST in the USA, as
> Borland has no plan to sell this product in the USA market.  I
> remember Borland even denied the existence of ST Turbo C. As far
> as Atarians in the USA are concerned, Turbo C is not a product, so
> forget about it.  Thus
> we only have choices between Mark W. C and Laser C.

Manx(Aztec?), Lattice, HiSoft, and Prospero will be sad to hear this.
Hippo and Alcyon probably won't care.  I don't have any idea what
the authors of Sozobon or the porters of GCC will think. ;^)

Has anyone in the USA tried importing ST Turbo C?  Does anyone know of
any mail order outfits in Canada that sell it?

  - Kent Schumacher
    ardvar!krs@stag.UUCP

krs@stag.UUCP (Kent Schumacher) (10/19/89)

[robert@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Robert de Vries) writes...]
> [...stuff deleted]
> At this moment version 1.1 is released with support for the f68881 floating
> point coprocessor. In december they release a sourcecode level debugger.
> [...stuff deleted...] With assembler (the developers version) it costs 340 DM
> ($ 160)
>
> I hope this gives a little more attention to this compiler, which deserves it
> completely.
>
>       Robert.

Could someone please go into some detail about the programming environment
that Turbo C offers.  Does it have a built in editor, or are you allowed
to substitute your own (without an unacceptable loss of features).  Is
it a CLI environment (like MWC) or a GUI.  If it has a build in editor,
is it gem based, does it allow marking blocks with the mouse (like Laser C),
does it allow multiple windows, macros, ...?

For whatever reason, it doesn't look like we are going to get this program
distributed in the USA, and hence I'm not going to be able to base my
decision to purchase it on magazine reviews or store demo's.

(Oh, yeah - any comment on the documentation and 'ANSI-ness' of the compiler
would be appreciated).

Thanks

  - Kent Schumacher                  /* "A member of STdNET-         */
    ardvar!krs@stag.UUCP             /*  The ST developers network  */

alex@hpgnd.HP.COM (Alexis MERMET-GRANDFILLES) (10/20/89)

/ hpgnd:comp.sys.atari.st / pa1329@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (pa1329) /  4:10 pm  Oct 16, 1989 /

>  Thus we only have choices between Mark W. C and Laser C.
----------

And then ... which of these Two would you advise me to buy ??

robert@duttnph.tudelft.nl (Robert de Vries) (10/20/89)

In article <1989Oct19.100825.21264@stag.UUCP> ardvar!krs@stag.UUCP (Kent Schumacher) writes:
[... stuff deleted ...]
>Does it have a built in editor, or are you allowed
>to substitute your own (without an unacceptable loss of features).
It is has a built-in editor, but I don't know if you can substitute your own.
I don't think so at least.
>Is it a CLI environment (like MWC) or a GUI.
Both.
>If it has a build in editor, is it gem based, does it allow marking blocks
>with the mouse (like Laser C), does it allow multiple windows, macros, ...?
It is GEM-based, you can mark blocks with your mouse, multiple windows, no
macros.
>(Oh, yeah - any comment on the documentation and 'ANSI-ness' of the compiler
>would be appreciated).
Full fledged ANSI. I love it.

     Robert.

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (10/21/89)

I, too, would like info on Turbo-C.  When it was first announced, I thought
people were saying it had a unique calling sequence: basically the first two
arguments were passed in registers!  Is this true?  If so, can someone please
give me more details on which registers, etc?  I'm trying to use Turbo-C
object files, but I don't have Turbo-C.  I can hack something with gcc if I
know which registers, etc.

Thanks,
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton

roland@cochise (10/27/89)

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:

>basically the first two
>arguments were passed in registers!  Is this true?

From memory:

  the first 3(?) integer-type arguments in registers do,d1,d2 and/or
the first 2(?) pointer-type arguments in a0 and a1.

  The TC-specific keyword 'cdecl' allows you to disable this, so
you can link to libraries compiled with Alcyon ( or generate functions
with will be called by the AES ! ).

  Integer-type return value are in d0, but pointers are returned in a0.

  I never use floating point, but I know that TC ST has quite different
floating point formats in version 1.00 and 1.10, 1.10 supporting the
IEEE standard.

             I know that You believe You understand what You think I said, but
             I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant.

Roland Rambau

  rra@cochise.pcs.com,   {unido|pyramid}!pcsbst!rra,   2:507/414.2.fidone

qralph@dna.lth.se (Ralph Haglund) (11/19/89)

Hi,
I got a problem.
I am using Turbo C 1.1 and it works fine. BUT the assembler and debugger I
haven't got working properly! I have tried two different copies of the
original disks. The assembler loads, probably loads the program then dies.
The debugger works OK, but when I want to leave it, it hangs with a busy bee.
I have tested the Swedish TOS 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4, both Aug.'88 version and the
final one (that for some reason has some missing scan codes, for shift arrows
and some more shifted ones). Probably tried half a dozen Ataris of different
sizes. Supposedly it works with the German TOS, so they must do something
irregular.
Yeah, another thing. In the TurboC proper, I wonder what kind of writing the
editor does in the windows. Often when I am browsing around, it seems to come
one pixel row wrong, so it leaves black pixels around. How come?
For the rest I am very satisfied with the compiler!

|-------------------------------------------------------------|
|  Want to talk to me? Try:                                   |
|  QRALPH@SELDC51  ||  QRALPH@SELDC52  ||  qralph@dna.lth.se  |
|  My name? In official Sweden it is: 4.901.185.654 (secret)  |
|  Anywhere else: Ralph Haglund                               |
|  Disclaimer: If it works, it's out of date.                 |

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (09/25/90)

[In article <2691@jaytee.East.Sun.COM>,
     gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) writes ... ]

> I'd like to buy Turbo-St for my forthcoming Ste but there is the
> slight problem of where to find it.  I know it's from Germany and
> that the whole thing is in German, okay, I can like with that.
> How/Where to order the thing?

When last I checked, L.R. Data in White Bear Lake, Minnesota, had
Turbo C (German version) in stock. I don't know about the price.
Phone number is (612) 770-2447.

 --
 Steve Yelvington up at the lake in Minnesota
 steve@thelake.mn.org   plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve

a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) (10/14/90)

hi can anyone tell me how i can get hold of turbo c for the atari st here in
north america,or the address of borland.Thanks!
Robert Bell                       uunet!van_bc!rsoft!mindlink!a1076
Benndorf-Verster                  a1076@mindlink.uucp
Vancouver Canada                  voice 604-853-5870

lsh1@ra.MsState.Edu (Shane) (10/19/90)

In <3539@mindlink.UUCP> a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) writes:

>hi can anyone tell me how i can get hold of turbo c for the atari st here in
>north america,or the address of borland.Thanks!
>--

I would also like to know this.  please mail me also.

Shane Hebert
lsh1@ra.msstate.edu       if no answer call    CAhebert@dune.ee.msstate.edu

gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) (10/20/90)

In article <lsh1.656306650@ra> lsh1@ra.MsState.Edu (Shane) writes:
>In <3539@mindlink.UUCP> a1076@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Bell) writes:
>>hi can anyone tell me how i can get hold of turbo c for the atari st here in
>>north america,or the address of borland.Thanks!

>I would also like to know this.  please mail me also.

Here ya go.  Best advice is to order via phone and use a credit card...
Someday, someone will get the idea that they should market this thing
in the USA.  Warning Will Robinson, Note! Caveat...

This version *IS* *GERMAN*, which means *GERMAN DOCUMENTATION*...  if that
doesn't worry you, then go 4 it...

Turbo-C 2.0 Atari DM 218.00 + US $30.00 p/h
Turbo-C 2.0 Pro Atari + src db + ass DM 412.00 + US $30.00 p/h
Indicate Atari, ask about STe support.  For payment try: VISA !!
Heimsoeth, Inc. did the port.  Docs in German, old 2.0 PC docs?
(Exchange: DM ~ 1.6 2the US $, so 218/1.6=136.25, 412->257)

Barbara Ford
Customer Support
Lundwurmstrasse 88
Postfach 15 03 40
D-8000 Muenchen 2
(Germany - GMBH
011 49 (89-7 20 10-0), verify country code 49.

o L.R. Data in White Bear Lake, Minnesota
(612)770-2447
Borland Turbo C $449 regular version. 1.0!!

Joe
-=-

--
/Joe-Gaudreau {ps-hacker juggler nice-guy add add} bind def
Fone:  (508)671-0461

t821431@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard Clarkson) (04/15/91)

xx
Does anybody know of "Borland Turbo C" being available for the atari-st
in "ENGLISH".....What is the most recent revision for the atari-st..
When and where is it available...Does borland have a mail address....?

Thanks from Richard Clarkson

t821431@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Richard Clarkson) (04/15/91)

xx

Does anybody know if Borland Turbo C is available in English for the
Atari-st?    What is the latest revision?
	     Where is it available from?
	     Does Borland have a mailing address?

Mick_Schmidt@hb.maus.de (Mick Schmidt) (04/17/91)

> Does anybody know if Borland Turbo C is available in English for the
> Atari-st?    What is the latest revision?
>              Where is it available from?
>              Does Borland have a mailing address?

Turbo C/ST from Borland is not available in English.
The latest revision is 2.03.

So far I know! Now the actual rumors! ;-)

The rumors which are going around here in Germany say, that Borland is going to
stop the distribution of Turbo C/ST and give the rights back to the Developer
Team. It seems that they plan to make up their own company and carry on working
on that C-Compiler which won't be named Turbo C anymore (guess why ;-)).
So far it seems quite sure, because even people from the Borland Turbo C Team
said something like that.

Who's going to do the distribution and if there will be an English Version
then, who knows???

Bye Mick
--
Michael Schmidt       | Mausnet: Mick Schmidt @ HB             | Well, isn't
Kopenhagener Str. 145 | Fido   : Mick Schmidt%Maus HB (242/2.6)| that special?

Daniel_Roedding@fiction.ms.sub.org (04/20/91)

Mick_Schmidt@hb.maus.de (Mick Schmidt) writes:

> The rumors which are going around here in Germany say, that Borland is going to
> stop the distribution of Turbo C/ST and give the rights back to the Developer
> Team. It seems that they plan to make up their own company and carry on working
> on that C-Compiler which won't be named Turbo C anymore (guess why ;-)).
> So far it seems quite sure, because even people from the Borland Turbo C Team
> said something like that.

> Who's going to do the distribution and if there will be an English Version
> then, who knows???

Many parts of the Turbo C system were written by a company named
"SoftDesign" in Munich. Their address can be found in some external
programs and the assembler.

BTW: Does anyone have experimented with the redirection vectors in the
MAS.TTP program? At the beginning of the program you find a "patch area"
where the integrated TC version writes down some vectors to input/output
functions for window i/o and access to loaded files etc. The result is that
the same MAS.TTP program is able to output both on a standard TOS screen
or in a window of the TC desktop.

Daniel