[comp.sys.atari.st] Megafile 60 noisy startup/ shutdown

geert@ahds.UUCP (Geert W.T. Jonkheer CCS/TS) (04/19/91)

When I start up or shut down my megafile 60 it always makes and has
made a cracking/ noisy sound. After it has startup it doesn't make
this sound no longer, and works just fine.

I wonder if anyone else has this cracking sound with their megafiles.
Perhaps, can anyone tell me what makes this sound?
Is it normal?

Thanks in advance.

Geert.

UUCP : ..!hp4nl!ahds!geert
Geert Jonkheer                     Albert Heijn B.V. The Netherlands.

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (04/19/91)

geert@ahds.UUCP (Geert W.T. Jonkheer CCS/TS) writes:

>When I start up or shut down my megafile 60 it always makes and has
>made a cracking/ noisy sound. After it has startup it doesn't make
>this sound no longer, and works just fine.

The sound is from autoparking the heads during shutdown and releasing
them during startup. Perfectly normal.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Claus Brod@wue.maus.de

hvaalde@cs.vu.nl (Aalderen van Harold) (04/22/91)

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) writes:

>geert@ahds.UUCP (Geert W.T. Jonkheer CCS/TS) writes:

>>When I start up or shut down my megafile 60 it always makes and has
>>made a cracking/ noisy sound. After it has startup it doesn't make
>>this sound no longer, and works just fine.

>The sound is from autoparking the heads during shutdown and releasing
>them during startup. Perfectly normal.

Do all megafile 60 drives have autopark? I own one and never noticed it
I use the ship program every time I shut down my computer

How can I find out if my disk autoparks?

Harold van Aalderen (hvaalde@cs.vu.nl)

csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod) (04/22/91)

hvaalde@cs.vu.nl (Aalderen van Harold) writes:

>Do all megafile 60 drives have autopark? I own one and never noticed it
>I use the ship program every time I shut down my computer

If the drive used in your MF60 is a Seagate ST277R, you don't need
the ship program anymore. The ST238R used in the Megafile 30 doesn't
autopark. You can find out the exact type of the drive used by
looking at the back of the Megafile 30 which should bear a label
with 'SEA6065' or something like that if it is a Seagate drive.