[comp.sys.atari.st] quicktos

chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) (04/20/91)

is Quicktos out there or is it just vaporware.it is supposed to dump tos on
a disk.anybody know how to do it or where i can find quicktos?
----
ProLine:  chuckie@pro-odyssey
Internet: chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie@nosc.mil

darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek MIHOCKA) (04/23/91)

In article <8697@crash.cts.com> chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) writes:
>is Quicktos out there or is it just vaporware.it is supposed to dump tos on
>a disk.anybody know how to do it or where i can find quicktos?
>----
>ProLine:  chuckie@pro-odyssey
>Internet: chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com
>UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie
>ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie@nosc.mil

QuickTOS is real and p/d. I wrote it and uploaded it to various bulletin
boards about a year ago. The purpose of Quick TOS is to run disk based
versions of TOS, such as TOS 1.0 or TOS 1.4, from a hard disk so that you
save yourself the 30 seconds or so required to boot TOS from floppy. You
can go from say, TOS 1.6 on a 1040STE to TOS 1.0 in about 3 or 4 seconds.

It has nothing to do with pirating TOS (i.e. dumping your TOS roms to disk).
and QuickTOS will not support such pirated versions of TOS. Shame on you.

TOS only floppy is available from Atari dealers and maybe still from Atari.
A TOS disk also came supplied with all early 520 STs.

- Darek

  Darek Mihocka, author of Quick ST 3.0.   All views expressed are my own.
  Branch Always Software, 14150 NE 20th St. Suite 302, Bellevue, WA  98007