[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Color Monitors

rowley@ORVILLE.ARPA.UUCP (02/14/87)

I had a chance recently to make a side-by-side comparison of the JVC and
Goldstar versions of the Atari color monitors.  I could not see much of
a difference between the two monitors.  If anything, I would say that
the JVC monitor was slightly more sharp, but that the colors were more
brilliant on the Goldstar monitor.  I did play with the adjustments on both
monitors.

The JVC monitor was a PS-3000.  I asked the salesman if they sell that monitor,
and he said it was something new that had just come in.  They quoted me a price
of $419 for the PS-3000.  This was at the Federated store in Santa Clara,
California, phone (408) 985-0300.

Remember, the PS-3000 is the JVC color monitor with a SS/DD disk drive built
in.

Karl Rowley
rowley@orville.arpa

rdj@hcx.uucp (RANDALL D. JOHNSON) (12/09/88)

I am thinking about using my color monitor as a
monitor for another computer or as a TV.

I know that to use it as a TV requires a tuner, and
I figgure a VCR might do.

Can anyone tell how to do this or why it can't
be done?
Thank you in advance for your reply.
(please post)

Randy Johnson at the University of Arkansas
rdj@hcx.uucp
         :x

:  x

derek@hsi.UUCP (Derek Lee-Wo) (12/09/88)

In article <1389@cseg.uucp>, rdj@hcx.uucp (RANDALL D. JOHNSON) writes:

> I am thinking about using my color monitor as a
> monitor for another computer or as a TV.
>
> I know that to use it as a TV requires a tuner, and
> I figgure a VCR might do.

I did this with my old Commodore monitor. The monitor had two RCA type jacks
on the front, and audio and video input. The VCR also had RCA audio and video
jacks. I just got the appropriate cable from Radio Shack and hooked it up.

I don't know what type of monitor you have, and it may not be as easy to hook
it up as my monitor was.

|Derek Lee-Wo, Health Systems International, New Haven, CT 06511.             |
|E-mail address :- ...!harvard!yale!hsi!derek. Phone :- (203)777-3125.        |

resst11@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Ryk E Spoor) (04/21/91)

	I have a problem that I hope someone can help with. It seems that
certain models of the color monitor, including the one I have, display
colors much more darkly than they should. As an example, there are parts
of Dungeon Master where I can barely see things even when I've got
all the torches I can light on (and these same sections come out
bright and clear on someone else's monitor.)
	My questions (please Email answers, since I often don't have
time to read through news): 1) can I adjust this thing so it will
be brighter? and 2), if the answer is "no", does someone have a
monitor I could get cheap that WOULD be brighter? I'd be willing
to trade and then add bucks on top. The monitor FUNCTIONS fine, it
just is darker than it ought to be; if you are mostly into word
processing it wouldn't give you any problems at all.
	Thanx,

				Sea Wasp

AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (04/23/91)

resst11@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Ryk E Spoor):
> certain models of the color monitor, including the one I have, display
> colors much more darkly than they should. As an example, there are parts

Mine did this too...

Inside there are many different adjustment screws in different places.
Many are evasive, even to find!  One in particular is a brightness adj.,
which is different than the one you can get at externally.

I adjusted my monitor a few months ago, and ended up making it a little
TOO bright, but I haven't cared enough to fix it...

I used an insulated non-metalic 16" screwdriver, wearing a lead bodysuit,
and stood a mile away as I made the adjustments... plus I closed my eyes!

If you screw up the monitor or yourself, don't blame me.
AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu