[comp.sys.atari.st] Posting Z*Net International 3rd request!

sytang@boulder (Shoou-yu Tang) (04/16/91)

 Isn't each issuse of znet more than 10KB or so in size? Wouldn't it waste a lot of
 banwidth to send it all over the world? Atari.archive.umich.edu has archives
 of znet under the magazines/znet, would that be more efficent way? Also there
 is a mailing list for individual want to receive it when greg got it, thats
 how I got mine and probably how atari.archive got it too.
 I'll check for the mailing list address and post it, or maybe Greg is watching
 can post it
 .
 Tang
 sytang@lamar.colostate.edu

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (04/16/91)

In article <14250@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> sytang@euclid.math.colostate.edu.UUCP (Shoou-yu Tang) writes:

> Isn't each issuse of znet more than 10KB or so in size? Wouldn't it waste a lot of
> banwidth to send it all over the world?

Each issue is between 40k and 100k in size. Last time posting was
proposed lots of people screamed because of the cost; that's why I
offered to run a mailing list in the first place.

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.072427.7672@kcbbs.gen.nz> Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz (Jon Clarke) writes:

> This is the third and final request for those wishing Z*Net International
>to this news group comp.sys.atari.st.  Votes will close Monday the 22nd
>of April 1991.

I'd like everyone to know that all issues of znet are archived
on atari.archive.umich.edu.  They are available by mail-service
and anonymous ftp.  There is little need to post a 60-70K article
every week.

This is not a flame, Jon knows my position on this matter.  I'd just
like everyone to be aware of the above fact.

> We require a majority vote for the posting. Please send email to
> Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz or reply direct to this newsgroup.
>
> Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz     Z*net International On-line Magazine (NZ)

weiner
--
Jeff Weiner    	weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu	     Jeff_Weiner@ub.cc.umich.edu
    Mail Dennis_Devine@ub.cc.umich.edu and ask if he'd like to be the pope

Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz (Jon Clarke) (04/16/91)

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (04/16/91)

Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz (Jon Clarke) writes:
>  This is the third and final request for those wishing Z*Net International
> to this news group comp.sys.atari.st.  Votes will close Monday the 22nd
> of April 1991.

Look, there is NO POINT posting Z*Net to this newsgroup. It's already
available to anybody who wants it, via mailing list.

It is also the case that some of the commercial plugs which appear in Z*Net
are contrary to the accepted usage guidelines of the Internet and of Usenet.
Expect controversy if you try to post it here.

In short, even if the majority are in favour of having it posted here, I
believe that it would be extremely inadvisable to do so. You might wish to
set up an alt group to gateway it, along the lines of alt.society.cu-digest.

mathew

--
If you're a John Foxx fan, please mail me!

henry@argosy.UUCP (Henry Polard) (04/17/91)

In article <14250@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> sytang@euclid.math.colostate.edu.UUCP (Shoou-yu Tang) writes:
long time; could somebody please post how to do so?
If I can get it via a mailing list, I'd vote against posting ZNet
here.

Henry Polard   |  REAL net address: | Reality         / Virtual 17-line .sig
(408) 736-3300 |  henry@maspar.com  | is an allusion. \ with spiffy graphics.

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr16.072427.7672@kcbbs.gen.nz> Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz (Jon Clarke) writes:

> This is the third and final request for those wishing Z*Net International
>to this news group comp.sys.atari.st.  Votes will close Monday the 22nd
>of April 1991.
>
> We require a majority vote for the posting. Please send email to
> Jon_Clarke@kcbbs.gen.nz or reply direct to this newsgroup.

In my opinion, to post these ZNet issues to the net is an abuse of the
net.  Regardless of the outcome of your informal poll, such postings
should not be done.  These articles are available to anyone who wants
them to be mailed to them, and they are available at a well known
archive site, eiter by e-mail order or by anonymous ftp.

Jon_Clark, please cease and decist.

--
Prof L.J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, U of Waterloo, Canada N2L 3G1
	Internet:	ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu