[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari for Auction: Update

meo3@jaguar.ucs.uofs.edu (OGRINZ MICHAEL E) (04/09/91)

Ok, here's the first update on the auction. I wasnt going to enter this
so soon, but maybe it'll stop the flood of $5 bids to my account :)

Our highest bid after 1 day: $200 for the complete system.

Other offers worth mentioning: $75 for the color digitizer.

Now, for those of you who missed out, now's your chance to send me a bid
on the following system. The highest bid as of April 22 takes the lot.
To recap, the package is:

Atari 520St w/1Meg & Mouse
Color Monitor
Mono Monitor
Indus DS/DD drive
5 1/4" 360K/720K drive
Color Digitizer (ComputerEyes)
SCSI controller card w/ cable & software
Lots of software (mostly games)

Mike

6600hien@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Hien Le) (04/10/91)

In article <409@platypus.uofs.edu> meo3@jaguar.ucs.uofs.edu (OGRINZ MICHAEL E) writes:
[Text deleted]

My bid for a hard drive is $50.

geoffc@zebedee%tharr.uucp (Geoffrey Coan) (04/15/91)

(OGRINZ MICHAEL E) writes:
(Sender was: news@platypus.uofs.edu)
> Ok, here's the first update on the auction. I wasnt going to enter this
> so soon, but maybe it'll stop the flood of $5 bids to my account :)

... etc

This is not an attack on this sender per se, but on the people who send out
'please buy my xxxxx box' type articles in general.

Why, oh why, do people not realise that comp.sys.atari.st is an INTERNATIONAL
news forum and it is highly unlikely that people outside of their locality
will want to buy what they are offering.  In the UK we have a distribution of
'uk' to restrict where articles get sent to - I assume there are similar
country and county/state sized distributions in the rest of the world.

It's not too much to ask is it ... ?

Geoffrey
are you ready to SKYDIVE ??                                       Geoffrey Coan
well all right then, if you say so ...        ..!ukc!axion!tharr!zebedee!geoffc

<- UUCP'd from my ST via tharr; *free* UK public access to Usenet 0234 720202 ->

bcasper@taco.cc (Brian Casper) (04/19/91)

In article <2275044@zebedee%tharr.uucp> geoffc@zebedee%tharr.uucp
(Geoffrey Coan)

> Why, oh why, do people not realise that comp.sys.atari.st is an INTERNATIONAL
> news forum and it is highly unlikely that people outside of their locality
> will want to buy what they are offering.  In the UK we have a distribution of
> 'uk' to restrict where articles get sent to - I assume there are similar
> country and county/state sized distributions in the rest of the world.

I, an American, sold my PC-Ditto II to someone in Singapore - via this
wonderful INTERNATIONAL news forum.  He was the highest bidder, the shipping
was only slightly higher than it would have been within the US, and the sale
went flawlessly.

> It's not too much to ask is it ... ?

Yes.

--
Brian Casper
bcasper@eos.ncsu.edu

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (04/22/91)

++ I, an American, sold my PC-Ditto II to someone in Singapore - via this
++ wonderful INTERNATIONAL news forum.  He was the highest bidder, the shipping
++ was only slightly higher than it would have been within the US, and the sale
++ went flawlessly.

Interesting, how did the purchaser manage to get money to you? I understood
that it's remarkably expensive in the USA to receive non-US-Dollar money from
abroad. Could I have sent you a cheque drawn on a British bank?

++ > It's not too much to ask is it ... ?

++ Yes.

No, not if the vendor is prepared to accept either Visa or international money
orders --- or if the software/hardware is supported in the destination country.

Graham
======

Graham Higgins                  |  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Hewlett-Packard Labs            |  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Filton Road, Stoke Gifford      |  gjh%hplb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Bristol, U.K.                   |  ...!mcvax!ukc!hplb!gjh
Tel: +44 272 799910 x24014         Fax: +44 272 790554
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (04/24/91)

In article <GJH.91Apr22134603@ghiggins.hpl.hp.com> gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) writes:
>Interesting, how did the purchaser manage to get money to you? I understood
>that it's remarkably expensive in the USA to receive non-US-Dollar money from
>abroad. Could I have sent you a cheque drawn on a British bank?

Come on, this is not a problem in most cases.  I frequently buy items
from the US, and I suspect that the Canadian situation is not unique.
We can buy money orders in US dollars from the Post Office or from most
banks, and I can write cheques in US dollars on my regular bank account
by simply writing US$ all over the cheque (this latter feature may not
be as common).

I don't think that there is any problem coming up with paper in US funds
that a bank will accept, but S&L's are another matter.  I tried to give
my brother in the US $200 during a recent visit, and his S&L wouldn't
even accept AmEx traveller's cheques in US dollars sold by a Canadian
bank.  So I went down the street and got the money on my bank card.
But real banks (the kind that stay sovent for weeks on end) have never
been a problem.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

bcasper@taco.cc (BRIAN CASPER) (04/24/91)

> Interesting, how did the purchaser manage to get money to you? I understood
> that it's remarkably expensive in the USA to receive non-US-Dollar money from
> abroad. Could I have sent you a cheque drawn on a British bank?

As it turned out, he sent me a check drawn on an international bank
which I sent off to
the World Trade Center in New York to cash.  It did cost him an extra
$10 to cash, but
he wanted the Ditto II bad enough that it became worth it.

> ++ > It's not too much to ask is it ... ?
>
> ++ Yes.
>
> No, not if the vendor is prepared to accept either Visa or
international money
> orders --- or if the software/hardware is supported in the destination
country.

I was referring to the origional posters plea to keep these 'For Sale' posts
interstate.

--
Brian Casper
bcasper@eos.ncsu.edu