[comp.sys.atari.st] Gnustuff

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr25.043044.10046@cs.mcgill.ca>, davidd@cs.mcgill.ca (David D'ANDREA) writes:

> 	I was looking for the gcc compiler that some people had mentioned,
> and I noticed that there was piles of stuff in the "gnustuff" directory at
> atari archive.  Is there any file giving a summary of all the gnu files
> available, or will I have to guess based on keywords in the Index file?
> 	Actually, I would be happy if someone just mailed me a list of
> files I need for the compiler to work.

I just spent a bit of time putting the gcc compiler on my hard drive.  I tested
it using the good old reliable 'hello.c' program.  Here are the notes I made
with regard to installation:

Files used:
GCC139B.LZH (current file on atari.archive has a corrupt GCC-CC1.TTP)
GCC139UP.LZH (may no longer be present, but it's where I got GCC-CC1.TTP)
MNTOLB8.ZOO (you -might- want to use it with MINT, so why not?)
MNTINC8.ZOO (ditto)

1. Extract all files EXCEPT 'gcc-cc1.ttp' from GCC139B.LZH (the file is
corrupted in the current version on atari.archive).  Place the files in \EXEC
and set the environmental variable GCCEXEC to point to the directory.

2. Extract 'gcc-cc1.ttp' from GCC139UP.LZH and place the file into \EXEC.

3. Extract all files from MNTOLB8.ZOO.  Place the files in \LIB and set the
environmental variable GNULIB to point to the directory.

4. Extract all files from MNTINC8.ZOO (including subdirectories!).  Place the
files in \INCLUDE and set the environmental variable GNUINC to point to the
directory.

Add the following aliases to your CLI's autoexec file.  The following lines
come from a slightly modified 'gnu.g' which came with my release of the
Gulam shell.  Check your CLI docs for differences in how environmental
variables, etc. are set!

gnu.g
----- cut here ------
unalias cc
unsetenv TEMP
#
# set up commands for gcc and gas
#
alias cpp d:\exec\gcc-cpp
setenv cpp d:\exec\gcc-cpp.ttp
alias cc1 d:\exec\gcc-cc1
setenv cc1 d:\exec\gcc-cc1.ttp
alias gas d:\exec\gcc-as
setenv gas d:\exec\gcc-as.ttp
alias as d:\exec\gcc-as
setenv as d:\exec\gcc-as.ttp
alias link d:\exec\link
setenv link d:\exec\link.ttp
alias ar d:\exec\gcc-ar
setenv ar d:\exec\gcc-ar.ttp
alias ld d:\exec\gcc-ld
setenv ld d:\exec\gcc-ld.ttp
alias gcc d:\exec\gcc
setenv gcc d:\exec\gcc.ttp
#
alias cc d:\exec\gcc
setenv cc d:\exec\gcc.ttp
alias xcc d:\exec\gcc -Bd:\exec\x
setenv xcc d:\exec\gcc.ttp -Bd:\exec\x
#
alias make d:\util\xmake.ttp
setenv make d:\util\xmake.ttp
#
# bison...
#
alias bison d:\bison\bison.ttp
setenv bison d:\bison\bison.ttp
setenv BISON_SIMPLE d:\bison\bison.sim
setenv BISON_HAIRY d:\bison\bison.hai
#
#
# nm
#
alias nm d:\util\nm.ttp
#
# Flex
#
alias flex d:\flex\flex.ttp
setenv flex d:\flex\flex.ttp
setenv FLEX_DEF d:\flex\flexdef.skl
setenv FLEX_FAST d:\flex\flexfast.skl
#
# General
#
setenv GNULIB d:\lib
setenv GCCEXEC d:\exec\gcc-
setenv GNUINC d:\include
setenv TEMP g:
------ cut here --------

OTHER FILES YOU MIGHT WANT/NEED:

FLEX.ZOO - lexical analyzer
BISON.ZOO (where is this on atari.archive?!?)
DOCUMENTATION.ZOO - some nice-to-have documents in TeX format
DIFF115.LZH - can handle binary files as well as ASCII files
RCS5AP1B.LZH and RCS5AP1M.LZH - Revision Control System
GULAM.ARC - one of many CLIs which will work with gcc

Like I said, I successfully compiled a program using the above procedure (and I
didn't have bison or flex or the documentation or RCS or diff...) so it is the
minimum you need to do to get going.

If anyone has corrections, additions, suggestions about these directions,
please send me e-mail so I can incorporate them into the next 'welcome to
comp.sys.atari.st' ... I'll be working on minimal TeX / LaTeX instructions
next.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

davidd@cs.mcgill.ca (David D'ANDREA) (04/25/91)

	I was looking for the gcc compiler that some people had mentioned,
and I noticed that there was piles of stuff in the "gnustuff" directory at
atari archive.  Is there any file giving a summary of all the gnu files
available, or will I have to guess based on keywords in the Index file?
	Actually, I would be happy if someone just mailed me a list of
files I need for the compiler to work.
	Also, as I was browsing in the gnu directory, I was pleased to find
a copy of Jove.  I downloaded it, was somewhat surprised that it had no
documentation with it, and was disappointed when I found out that it seems
to not work with large files (it gave me a "cannot create temporary file"
message, and only part of the file was there in the editor).  This happened
with two files I tried, both around 40k; it worked fine with smaller (10k
and less) files.
	Does anyone have a working copy of Jove?  Perhaps there's something
in my setup that it doesn't like (1 meg 1040 ST, Tos 1.0)?  If Jove really
is bugged, could someone suggest another good pd text editor?

					David D'Andrea