[comp.sys.atari.st] .reb?

youngmw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael) (04/11/91)

I just downloaded the two new tcb demos from atari.archive.
When I unarc them I find that they have a .reb extender!?
What is this and how do I use them?

Thanx
Aaron

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) (04/11/91)

In article <10058@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> youngmw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael) writes:
>I just downloaded the two new tcb demos from atari.archive.
>When I unarc them I find that they have a .reb extender!?
>What is this and how do I use them?

The .reb extender siginifies that were created usisng Prorebel, a copier
which allows you to copy wierd disk configurations.

It was stated vey clearly in the index that prorebel was needed to properly
run this demo.

Prorebel is a coprighted program, thus it is absent from the archive.  If
anyone has a more widely known copier that will work similarly, please
let me know.

>Thanx
>Aaron

weiner
--
Jeff Weiner    	weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu	     Jeff_Weiner@ub.cc.umich.edu
    Mail Dennis_Devine@ub.cc.umich.edu and ask if he'd like a White Castle

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (04/11/91)

In article <10058@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, youngmw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael) writes:
>I just downloaded the two new tcb demos from atari.archive.
>When I unarc them I find that they have a .reb extender!?
>What is this and how do I use them?
>
>Thanx
>Aaron

.reb files originate from ProRebel, which is a hacked (pirate) version(s) of
Procopy.  It allows you to copy a protected disk into a file, which can be
uploaded to a Pirate BBS.  A pirate on the other end can download it, and use
ProRebel to create a new "protected" disk.  This program also allows you to
have several versions of Procopy being controled by one front end (GEM).  It
has nothing to do with ProCo, it is an illegal product.  This is most annoying,
as this means that the programs do not even have to be "broken" to be Pirate
BBS fodder.

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

In article <1991Apr10.233352.18903@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) writes:
>In article <10058@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> youngmw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael) writes:
>>I just downloaded the two new tcb demos from atari.archive.
>>When I unarc them I find that they have a .reb extender!?
>>What is this and how do I use them?
>
>Prorebel is a coprighted program, thus it is absent from the archive.  If
>anyone has a more widely known copier that will work similarly, please
>let me know.

Actually an illegal hacked front end for several versions of the commercial
product ProCopy.

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

drp9500@isc.rit.edu (D.R. Paradis ) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.204434.24785@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr10.233352.18903@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) writes:
>>In article <10058@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> youngmw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael) writes:
>>>I just downloaded the two new tcb demos from atari.archive.
>>>When I unarc them I find that they have a .reb extender!?
>>>What is this and how do I use them?
>>
>>Prorebel is a coprighted program, thus it is absent from the archive.  If
>>anyone has a more widely known copier that will work similarly, please
>>let me know.
>
>Actually an illegal hacked front end for several versions of the commercial
>product ProCopy.

ERRR - The version of ProRebel I used is a hacked version of A-Copy
         v. 1.2L
 Enough people wanted this demo up there, and this was the ONLY program
that would copy it into file form I decided to take a chance.

>--
>    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
>             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear
>          FSU Computer Science       |      down here.  Beam down
>        Technical Support Group      |      yeoman Rand and a six-pack . ."
>      email:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu  |
>    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

*    Just because I'm a film major        |      < Net-address >       *
* doesn't mean I'm a Spielber-wanna-be....|                            *
*       I'm a Lynch-wanna-be!             |  drp9500@ultb.isc.rit.edu  *

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr11.144434.1285@isc.rit.edu>, drp9500@isc.rit.edu (D.R. Paradis ) writes:
>In article <1991Apr10.204434.24785@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:
>>>
>>>Prorebel is a coprighted program, thus it is absent from the archive.  If
>>>anyone has a more widely known copier that will work similarly, please
>>>let me know.
>>
>>Actually an illegal hacked front end for several versions of the commercial
>>product ProCopy.
>>

>ERRR - The version of ProRebel I used is a hacked version of A-Copy
>         v. 1.2L
> Enough people wanted this demo up there, and this was the ONLY program
>that would copy it into file form I decided to take a chance.

Whoops!  You are correct that ProRebel is a hacked ACopy, but it is also an
illegal product.  The one which I was describing is called ProGem, and is also
an illegal product.  Both have their origins within the Pirate subculture.
They are both quite similar:  They combine different versions of the same
copy program under a common front end.  They both allow one to create a file
containing both the data and copy protection info from a disk.  These files
are then arced or lzhed and uploaded to boards.

Sorry about the errata.  I do not question your use of the program, I just
wanted to make sure you knew where it originated.

Incidentally, the reason that several versions of the same copy program are
desired is kind of weird (at least unique to the ST, to my knowledge).
Basically, if you have version 1.1 of some copy program, it can copy some
set X of programs.  If you get 1.2, it can copy some set Y of programs.
However, even though 1.2 is newer, it is not generally true that X is
contained within Y.  That is, the older one will copy some stuff that the
newer one cannot?!?  Strange, as you would think that the newer versions
would only add capability . . .

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear
          FSU Computer Science       |      down here.  Beam down
        Technical Support Group      |      yeoman Rand and a six-pack . ."
      email:  boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu  |
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

arktik@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Ryan Daum) (04/22/91)

The problem with doing it in ProRebel form is that unkowingly you have
included the entire ProCopy program!  The way ProRebel does it's magic is
it runs ProCopy and then when it reaches a certain point, it dumps all
the contents of memorY (including the program) to disk.

 -=-  ersys!arktik@nro.cs.athabascau.ca    -=-
 |||---------------------------------------|||
 |||  Ryan Daum -- Professional Human      |||
 |||---------------------------------------|||
 -=-                                       -=-

micro@imada.dk (Klaus Pedersen) (04/25/91)

ersys!arktik@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Ryan Daum) writes:
>The problem with doing it in ProRebel form is that unkowingly you have
>included the entire ProCopy program!  The way ProRebel does it's magic is
>it runs ProCopy and then when it reaches a certain point, it dumps all
>the contents of memorY (including the program) to disk.

It is Acopy (eurosystems). And the memory is not dumped, it is ACOPY
that is FROSEN, when it asks for the destination disk.
PROREBEL is a illigal program, and so are the FILES compressed with it.

The .reb files contains a full working ACOPY!!! please remove these
files from atari.archive!!!

To prove that point -  put the this program in the same folder as tcbdemoa.lzh
from atari.archive and start the is... (this works best on a color monitor
in medium rez.) the program loads the Acopy at the position it was frosen at,
if possible and starts it...

- Klaus.

table
 !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?
@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_
begin 644 reb_load.prg
M8!H   %.    *   $!(               $  '( ( AF!G(!(&\ !"/(   !z
M=C/!   !>B)H  S3Z  4T^@ '-+\ 0 CR0   7P@"-")P#P _"Y 1^@ @"\)y
M+P@O/ !*  !.04_O  QP ! 39Q)22T(S  !!^0   8 A2P $< ).N0   '(_x
M #\\ $Q.03\#+PIP DZZ *8D2+'\  *C.F,,0?D   %.3KH AF!<(#P !"GDw
MD(I.N@"$)'P  J,Z0D!!^0   6E.N@" -@!"0C(#<'A.N@""($HB/  !AJ Pv
M TZZ "XP TZZ #I5.0 "I&4S_$)#  *D="\\  *C1B!\  *D1DZ06$]"0"1?u
M-A].=2\(+P$_ #\\ #].04_O  Q.=3\ /SP /DY!6$].=2\(/SP "4Y!7$].t
M=2\ /SP 2$Y!7$\@0$YU/P O"#\\ #U.05!/3G4_ C\!+P _/ !"3D%/[P *s
M3G5#86XG="!,;V%D(2 M4F5M;W9E($%#0W,*#0!T8V)D96UO82YR96(     r
(#@86, PB( !,q
end

micro@imada.dk (Klaus Pedersen) writes:
>To prove that point -  put the this program in the same folder as tcbdemoa.lzh
Please read : "tcbdemoa.reb"

-Klaus.