[comp.sys.atari.st] HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thompson@cis.ohio-state.edu (jeffery d thompson) (04/26/91)

	I'm not sure how it happened, but all of the files I had on my
Atari Megafile 30 in partition D have become invisible. The problem
started when I was using Cheetah to copy some files from logical drive E
to D. For one copy it either said that it couldn't find the drive path
or that the drive path was to complex. I rebooted the computer and
used Cheetah to find out how much room was left on the drive. No files
or folders appeared but it said I only had 5 megabytes left when that
partition should have 6.5 meg free. So I know the files are still there
but how can I get to them? Thanks in advance for any help.
					Jeff

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/26/91)

In article <112614@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> thompson@cis.ohio-state.edu (jeffery d thompson) writes:

>	I'm not sure how it happened, but all of the files I had on my
>Atari Megafile 30 in partition D have become invisible. The problem
>started when I was using Cheetah to copy some files from logical drive E
>to D. For one copy it either said that it couldn't find the drive path
>or that the drive path was to complex. I rebooted the computer and
>used Cheetah to find out how much room was left on the drive. No files
>or folders appeared but it said I only had 5 megabytes left when that
>partition should have 6.5 meg free. So I know the files are still there
>but how can I get to them? Thanks in advance for any help.
>					Jeff

Cheetah does non-standard stuff to achieve the speed that it does.  It does
not verify like conventional writes do (if indeed you do have verify on,
which is the default).  Therefore, as I'm sure the docs state, you use
Cheetah at your own risk.  I use Cheetah once in a while, but not for all
of my copying.

If you get any kind of error while using Cheetah, I wouldn't use it for that
drive.  It seems that your drive may have been too heavily fragmented for
Cheetah to find the drive paths, but that's just a supposition.  If you
get an error with Cheetah, I would question the integrity of the data on
that partition.  You should back it up ASAP and defragment it, or zero
the partition and restore the backup.

--
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0