[comp.sys.atari.st] UIS III, Uniterm, DCDesktop

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (03/07/91)

 When running DCDesktop and using Uniterm to connect to a mainframe, I tried
 to exit Uniterm and do something at the desktop.  When I got to the desktop
 I tried to access UISIII via the UIS da...when I did this the machine
 froze and I had to reboot, losing my communications connection.  Is
 this something that should happen, i.e. is it impossible to retain my
 communication connection while doing something at the desktop?, or
 is there some way to accomplish this kind of activity?
 Thanks.
 --Gerry
 ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu

twmanino@eos.ncsu.edu (TONY W MANINO) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.161126.16586@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

|>  When running DCDesktop and using Uniterm to connect to a mainframe, I tried
|>  to exit Uniterm and do something at the desktop.  When I got to the desktop
|>  I tried to access UISIII via the UIS da...when I did this the machine
|>  froze and I had to reboot, losing my communications connection.  Is
|>  this something that should happen, i.e. is it impossible to retain my
|>  communication connection while doing something at the desktop?, or
|>  is there some way to accomplish this kind of activity?
|>  Thanks.
|>  --Gerry
|>  ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu

I use UIS III all the time within Uniterm, so maybe DCDesktop is giving you
grief (I don't use DCDesktop).

I have had to reboot for other reasons during an online session before, however,
and it would be a pain if I lost the connection.  I have the "force DTR"
switch set on my modem, so it thinks my terminal is on and ready whether it
is or not.  This way I can go to the desktop, reboot, whatever without
worry.  There are communications programs that "drop DTR" to break the
connection for you.  Setting this switch will override this feature of these
programs, leaving you to tell your modem to hang up on your own.

Tony
twmanino@eos.ncsu.edu

uace0@menudo.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar6.121321.396@nic.csu.net> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

> I've encountered the following problem and was wondering whether or not anyone
> knows how to correct it, or if it can be corrected.
>Date: 6 Mar 91 16:11:26 GMT
>

> When running DCDesktop and using Uniterm to connect to a mainframe, I tried
> to exit Uniterm and do something at the desktop.  When I got to the desktop
> I tried to access UISIII via the UIS da...when I did this the machine
> froze and I had to reboot, losing my communications connection.  Is
> this something that should happen, i.e. is it impossible to retain my
> communication connection while doing something at the desktop?, or
> is there some way to accomplish this kind of activity?
> Thanks.
> --Gerry
> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu

Gerry -

If you are at the desktop, then you can press the <F1> function key to call
up the file selector.  This was specifically designed so you could remove
the UIS DA.

Does the problem exist when you call it up using the <F1> key?

If so, we need to look into this.

- mike

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Voice: (713)977-6520 | DC DESKTOP | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) (03/08/91)

Date: 6 Mar 91 16:11:26 GMT

In article <1991Mar7.180004.5485@menudo.uh.edu> uace0@menudo.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) writes:
>In article <1991Mar6.121321.396@nic.csu.net> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>>
>> I've encountered the following problem and was wondering whether or not anyone
>> knows how to correct it, or if it can be corrected.
>> When running DCDesktop and using Uniterm to connect to a mainframe, I tried
>> to exit Uniterm and do something at the desktop.  When I got to the desktop
>> I tried to access UISIII via the UIS da...when I did this the machine
>> froze and I had to reboot, losing my communications connection.  Is
>> this something that should happen, i.e. is it impossible to retain my
>> communication connection while doing something at the desktop?, or
>> is there some way to accomplish this kind of activity?
>> Thanks.
>> --Gerry
>> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu
>Gerry -
>If you are at the desktop, then you can press the <F1> function key to call
>up the file selector.  This was specifically designed so you could remove
>the UIS DA.
>Does the problem exist when you call it up using the <F1> key?
>If so, we need to look into this.
>- mike
>Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
>Voice: (713)977-6520 | DC DESKTOP | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others
Thanks very much, Mike.  You are correct.  Althhough when I
tried F1 with UISIIIda installed I got the same 4bombs, the F1
access to the file selector caused no problems after I got rid
of the UIS da...So, clearly that is the way to go.
Also, as others have suggested, it is possible to access das
from within Uniterm...another nice possibility.
Finally, many of you have told me about the fact that my
original posting appeared on the net many,many times.  Sorry
about that...I only saw it once, but there must have been a
problem here...Hope it doesn't happen with this note.
Thanks to all who replied (and you, too, Mike).
Gerry

252u3684@fergvax.unl.edu (Troy Nothnagel) (03/13/91)

ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:

> I've encountered the following problem and was wondering whether or not anyone
> knows how to correct it, or if it can be corrected.
>Date: 6 Mar 91 16:11:26 GMT

> When running DCDesktop and using Uniterm to connect to a mainframe, I tried
> to exit Uniterm and do something at the desktop.  When I got to the desktop
> I tried to access UISIII via the UIS da...when I did this the machine
> froze and I had to reboot, losing my communications connection.  Is
> this something that should happen, i.e. is it impossible to retain my
> communication connection while doing something at the desktop?, or
> is there some way to accomplish this kind of activity?
> Thanks.
> --Gerry
> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu

If you change the modem's DTR line setting, you should be able to retain a
connection while in the desktop, and even if you shut the computer itself
off.

don@col.hp.com (Don Allison) (03/14/91)

/ col:comp.sys.atari.st / ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) /  1:43 pm  Mar  6, 1991 /

Date: 6 Mar 91 16:11:26 GMT

----------

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (04/26/91)

In article <28938.27d5032a@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Gerald Greenberg) writes:
>  When running DCDesktop and using Uniterm to connect to a mainframe, I tried
>  to exit Uniterm and do something at the desktop.  When I got to the desktop
>  I tried to access UISIII via the UIS da...when I did this the machine
>  froze and I had to reboot, losing my communications connection.  Is
>  this something that should happen, i.e. is it impossible to retain my
>  communication connection while doing something at the desktop?, or
>  is there some way to accomplish this kind of activity?

The only reasons one would want to exit from Uniterm to the desktop would be to
perform some task (e.g., run a program or transfer files from disk to disk).

The proper way to run a program would be to use the "RUN PROGRAM" selection
from the Uniterm 'files' menu.  I have run text editors and CLI shells using
this method.  It -does- require that you devote a certain amount of memory to
the 'system' buffer.  (Look up the "BUFFER" selection under the next-to-last
menu ... I cannot remember the name, and Uniterm is at home...)

You can access UIS via the 'desk' menu in Uniterm as well.  I've formatted
disks and moved lots of files from disk to disk this way.

I also use DC Desktop, and have had no problems with this configuration (DC
Desktop, run Uniterm, run program from within Uniterm) except when the program
I wanted to run consumed too much memory.

I have also had a chance to exit from Uniterm back to DC Desktop (or any other
desktop...) and then run Aladdin while still connected to my VAX at work
(Aladdin allows me to run ZMODEM automagically on the ST ... I can set up a
command file on the VAX and walk away for a few hours.)

The machine I was using for all this was a stock 1040 ST with TOS 1.0, plus a
20-megabyte hard drive and color monitor.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu