[comp.sys.atari.st] ST book

dom@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Dave Merrill) (04/24/91)

I have just acquired an ST.  Is there any good books that cover
the basics of system operation.  The documentation from Atari is lacking.

Like what are .acc and .??? files?
How do I customize the desktop?
How do I add a printer when the option box on the dektop is not displayed?

Dave Merrill

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (04/27/91)

In article <17260001@hpfcdj.HP.COM>, dom@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Dave Merrill) writes:
>I have just acquired an ST.  Is there any good books that cover
>the basics of system operation.  The documentation from Atari is lacking.
>
>Like what are .acc and .??? files?
>How do I customize the desktop?
>How do I add a printer when the option box on the dektop is not displayed?
>
>Dave Merrill

I know of one such book (the author's first name is Ralph, cannot remember
the title) that is a good beginners guide to the ST.  One place that sells it
is Computer Garden (1-800-456-5689), for $15.99.  I would also recommend that
you get a subscription to Current Notes magazine (about $20).  It is the
best (IMHO), with many _honest_ reviews and a great PD library.  I liked it
so much that I bought all the back issues.
--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (04/27/91)

David Merrill asked:

>I have just acquired an ST.  Is there any good books that cover
>the basics of system operation.  The documentation from Atari is lacking.

Most of the companies that produced books on the Atari ST have either
gone out of business or have dropped their Atari line.  One significant
exception is the book Mickey Boyd mentioned.  It's title is:
"The Atari ST Book" by Ralph Turner, and it covers everything you wish
Atari had told you about the ST.

It's available from the publisher, Index Legalis at (515) 472-2293 and
costs $16.95 plus shipping.

Also available is an intermediate and advanced book, "Atari ST Subjects"
at the same price.

BobR