[comp.sys.atari.st] Disk Questions

eahsnsr@nmt.edu (Eric A. Hobbs) (04/25/91)

Is it advisable to use Twister format with a 10 sec/track disk?
Has anyone had any problems?

Also, what is the correct RPM for a SS/DD disk drive? Can you adjust it
easily?

I have been having bad sector problems with my disks (And I use good
quality disks, too.).

-------------
Eric A. HOBBS!
eahsnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr25.021557.28026@nmt.edu>, eahsnsr@nmt.edu (Eric A. Hobbs) writes:

>Is it advisable to use Twister format with a 10 sec/track disk?
>Has anyone had any problems?

I use 82 track, 10 sec/track, twisted (as offered by Universal Item Selector
and Neodesk 3.0) for all floppies.  Never had a problem.  I have a
DC utility (MAXTRAK I think), which tests your particular drive to see
what the maximum format you can use is.  I will put it on atari.archive if
it is not there already.  Remember, different drives can do different things,
and Atari only guarentees 80/9 formatting.  Just because I have no problems
does not mean you will not.

>Also, what is the correct RPM for a SS/DD disk drive? Can you adjust it
>easily?

300rpm, + or - 5.

>I have been having bad sector problems with my disks (And I use good
>quality disks, too.).

There are two common causes that I am familiar with.

  1.  You are using too "large" a format, as described above.  This DC
      utility should tell you if that is it.

  2.  Do you clean your drive heads?  Suprisingly, if the answer is yes
      that may be the problem.  3.5" drives are fairly enclosed, as are
      the disks, and therefore require cleaning much less regularly that
      the old 5.25" drives (I have never cleaned mine, in 2 years).  Also,
      the drive head is more sensitive (due to it's increased precision).
      What happens is that folks that used to clean their 5.25" devices
      all the time purchase a "cleaning diskette" for their 3.5" drives
      because they feel it necessary.  If this cleaning disk is of the
      fibrus type, it can slowly abrade and score the drive head cover
      (made of clear plastic) until errors start to occur.  I was told to
      never use such a cleaning device in a modern 3.5" drive.  A q-tip
      and some alcohol every few thousand hours is all that is needed
      (and I don't even do that :-).

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr25.021557.28026@nmt.edu> eahsnsr@nmt.edu (Eric A. Hobbs) writes:

>Is it advisable to use Twister format with a 10 sec/track disk?
>Has anyone had any problems?

I've been using 82 tracks/10 sectors twisted for the three years I've owned
an ST.  Haven't had any problems.

DCMAXTRK, a PD utility by DoubleClick to determine the maximum number of
tracks your drive can read and write to, says that I can go to 84 on my
ST.  Anyone know if it would be safe to go to 83 tracks/10 sectors twisted
with this drive?  I am also aware these disks may not work on another drive.

>Also, what is the correct RPM for a SS/DD disk drive? Can you adjust it
>easily?

I think SS and DS disks both go at 300rpm.  To adjust it, I've heard that
there's a small pot you can rotate.

>I have been having bad sector problems with my disks (And I use good
>quality disks, too.).

When I first got my ST, I bought Sonys and Maxells.  Now, I only buy
generic disks from MEI.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.004316.13020@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:

>I use 82 track, 10 sec/track, twisted (as offered by Universal Item Selector
>and Neodesk 3.0) for all floppies.  Never had a problem.  I have a

Another good utility for formatting disks with twister is Mystic.  It's a
desk accessory that formats in the background.  I've seen other background
formatters and they're not as good.  It will also do 82/10 format if you
want.  The down-side is that it won't format with a MS-DOS boot sector.  If
you have two drives, you can load up two copies of Mystic (MYSTICA.ACC and
MYSTICB.ACC for example) and format two disks at the same time.

--

entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu (entropy) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.170446.12243@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>Another good utility for formatting disks with twister is Mystic.  It's a
>desk accessory that formats in the background.  I've seen other background

Be careful, Mystic has very bad error checking.  I've had Mystec
format a disk with no complaints that I knew was bad (i.e. every other
formatter rejected the disk).

entropy
--
			  entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu
	entropy. . .it's not just a good idea, it's the second law.

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/27/91)

In article <ENTROPY.91Apr26154927@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu> entropy@gnu.ai.mit.edu (entropy) writes:
>In article <1991Apr25.170446.12243@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>>Another good utility for formatting disks with twister is Mystic.  It's a
>>desk accessory that formats in the background.  I've seen other background
>
>Be careful, Mystic has very bad error checking.  I've had Mystec
>format a disk with no complaints that I knew was bad (i.e. every other
>formatter rejected the disk).

Yeah, Mystic has very bad, if any, error checking.  It would be nice if
it had a verify button, like DC Format does, as well as some of DC Format's
other features.