[comp.sys.atari.st] Virus

870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) (03/21/88)

With all the viruses that are going around on the other machines I am
wondering if there is a prg. for the ST that will detect a virus and report
it to the user. Also has there been any news of viruses on any of the ST disks.
later
Barry

ian.cupples@canremote.uucp (IAN CUPPLES) (03/15/89)

Jing ! Crivens ! Help ma Boab ! Virus you say, this will take for ever
to check them all out,any idea on what disks you have found viruses in??

 * QNet 1.03a2: Bert's Bulletin Board. Brandon, Man.

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
   Via Fidonet node 1:223/224.0 - MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: ian.cupples@canremote.uucp
 UUCP:     ...tmsoft!masnet!canremote!ian.cupples

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (04/24/91)

Does anyone know WHERE to get the newest version of AVK (Atari Virus Killer)
Any company that sells it will do (or the adress p} the author if he can sell
me one).  We got serious problems with a unknown link-virus over here andthe
old version doesn't find it, and since sagrotan is a bit unsure about many
files I would like a newer version of AVK to be sure.  Any help is great !!

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (04/29/91)

Someone asked what a link virus is so i might as well tell you all :-(
It's a small programs that "pastes" on to a program file in such a way that
each time you start that program the virus is run too...  An example
of a link virus is the "crash virus".  The first x times a
contaminated program is run it infects another file, but the x'th time
you try to start the program it's just "chrashes" with 3 bombs and you
will never be able to run it again.  This virus spreads FAST !!!   And
if you get it on your HD you are in GREAT trouble.  By the time my
friend got the first "crash" all the PRG files on his 20 MB was
infected and there is no way to restore them :-(   So watch out !!!

carlos@odie.cs.mun.ca (Carlos Borges) (04/29/91)

In article <CMM.0.90.2.672862659.larserio@kvart.ifi.uio.no> larserio@ifi.uio.no writes:
>Someone asked what a link virus is so i might as well tell you all :-(
>It's a small programs that "pastes" on to a program file in such a way that
>each time you start that program the virus is run too...
> [ ... ] :-(   So watch out !!!

Is there any "cure" for a link virus?  Does any virus-killer detect/destroy
these types of virii?  I've had programs bomb on me that had previously
worked fine...  Might be the virus you're talking about.
--
C. Miguel Borges                     "The philosophers have only interpretted
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada      the world in various ways;  the point

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (04/29/91)

In article <9104290307.AA00767@odie.cs.mun.ca> carlos@odie.cs.mun.ca (Carlos Borges) writes:
>In article <CMM.0.90.2.672862659.larserio@kvart.ifi.uio.no> larserio@ifi.uio.no writes:
>>Someone asked what a link virus is so i might as well tell you all :-(
>>It's a small programs that "pastes" on to a program file in such a way that
>>each time you start that program the virus is run too...
>> [ ... ] :-(   So watch out !!!
>
>Is there any "cure" for a link virus?  Does any virus-killer detect/destroy
>these types of virii?  I've had programs bomb on me that had previously
>worked fine...  Might be the virus you're talking about.

Atari Virus Killer, which is a commercial product, can handle link viruses.  I think it's up to version 4.0.

--
   |||   Ed Krimen [ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu or al661@cleveland.freenet.edu]
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261