[comp.sys.atari.st] mac emulators

MUS6DC@CMS1.UCS.LEEDS.AC.UK (05/11/89)

Has anyone out there used Passport's "Clicktracks" on an Atari using a hardware
or software Mac emulator? Is it likely to be possible or successful? In the UK
it is possible to get Sigma's Alladin emulator (cartridge) - has anyone used th
is?

Thanks in advance. David Cooper. Music Dept, Leeds University.

blumin@spectra.COM (julia blumin) (07/22/89)

	For Sale:

		Mac Plus Platinum ROM's for Spectre 128!

			$60/pair.

		Mac 512/E ROM's for Magic Sac!

			$40/pair.

	Compufix
	P.O. Box 8454
	La Jolla, CA 92038-8454

robert_macausland@brains.UUCP (Robert MacAusland) (09/25/89)

Re:Mac Emulators:
  Is there anyone out there who uses/owns the Spectre 128 Mac emulator?
Could they let me know how it worked for them?
  I'd appreciate it if replys would be sent to my Bitnet address as I don't
read this newsfeed.....
  Bitnet: Robm@Tuns
--
   -===------===-    From Robert Macausland at Cerebral Cortex BBS System
  -==-==----==-==-   (902)462-7245 3/12/2400 8N1 24h/7d

colbeck@laika.misemi ( design) (11/14/89)

I'm new to this newsgroup so I'm probably asking a question that's been
asked before...

Just wondering what is the latest in MAC emulators available for the ST1040?
I was looking around about a year ago and at that time I believe that
Magic-Sac was the only thing around. Does anyone know what the latest revision
of this product is or whether there is anything better around?

Thanks in advance....

Roger

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (11/15/89)

ANYONE know of a mouse 'accelerator' utility that performs like the one on
the Mac Control Panel?
I believe it's called proportional control?

Ed<The GCR is GREAT!>June

buggs@cup.portal.com   <-- Is this just an UUCP address? I DON'T understand!

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/16/89)

Ed June asks:
>ANYONE know of a mouse 'accelerator' utility that performs like the one on
>the Mac Control Panel?
>I believe it's called proportional control?

The mouse accellerator program called  MACCEL, written by Ken B. of Atari
Corp is very similar to the way the Mac mouse works..

The faster you move your mouse, the faster the mouse pointer moves on the
screen..  it's speed is proportional to the acceleration of the mouse.

BobR

chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) (04/29/91)

recently i read on this net area that there does exsist mac emulators witht
ht  the rom's copied on disks.and all disk based.i know that the roms were
illegaly copied.but if all you need is software and a small cartdrige for
mac roms instead then this emulator whould sell more.i wish dave small
would wake yp excuse me up and sell us technology that is truely cheap
instead of sticking to use when he does not have to.if all we need is mac
roms and software or something like pc ditto 1 then it would sell to all st
users.piracy excuse is not that validf to make it all hardware based.
----
ProLine:  chuckie@pro-odyssey
Internet: chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie@nosc.mil

psteffn@pogo.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Paul Steffen) (04/29/91)

I'm sure Dave Small's original intention

was to release the emulator completely on a disk.  Remember, however, that
Apple is a company that sues anyone, no matter how big or small, that
steps in it's path.  They sued Microsoft, a company that if it weren't
for their early support of the Mac, Apple might not even
been successful with the Mac and  and be quite different
from the giant it is now [not to mention Steve Jobs ego.  d:^].
They sued Hewlett-Packard, another company that  Apple
I doubt very much that it would have been a wise move on Dave's part
to do it.  [after all, the reason why the Mac operating system is so
easily emulated is because Apple's hard work at developing an operating
system elaborate enough to keep programmers away from doing any low
level hardware stuff].  The Macintosh hardware is nothing.  It's that
128k that makes up the ROM that is the Macintosh.
The reason that PC Ditto resides on a floppy is because someone took the
copyrighted bios and wrote a compatible one without somehow
infringing on IBM's.  Perhaps [although, this is only a guess] IBM
might have tried to stop it purely because their BIOS and the cloned
BIOS are identical in the order of the system calls but since
the same goes for CPM which was developed many years before
IBM ever thought of doing a personal computer.
I read somewhere that a company successfully wrote a legal
clone of the Mac roms so you may see a disk version emulator that is
legal.

rwa@cs.athabascau.ca (Ross Alexander) (04/29/91)

chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) writes:
>recently i read on this net area that there does exsist mac emulators witht
>ht  the rom's copied on disks.and all disk based.i know that the roms were
>illegaly copied.but if all you need is software and a small cartdrige for
>mac roms instead then this emulator whould sell more.i wish dave small
>would wake yp excuse me up and sell us technology that is truely cheap
>instead of sticking to use when he does not have to.if all we need is mac
>roms and software or something like pc ditto 1 then it would sell to all st
>users.piracy excuse is not that validf to make it all hardware based.

Um, excuse me?  I have an original Magic Sac; it's a cart with two
gen-you-wine Mac ROMs in it, and a couple of flops with the software.
That sounds like the legal minimum of hardware to me.  This product
has been around for just ages; at least three years.

Don't confuse this with some of Dave's other stuff, like the GCR
product, that needs extra hardware to handle Apple disk-format
idiosyncracies.  Or the '030 based boards, which must have an '030
plus glue in them (at a minimum) to deliver the big performance boost
that makes them worth owning.  As a matter of strongly held personal
opinion, Dave's work has been a pretty darned good deal all round.
What research have you done before jumping in with all these
accusations and factoids?

Oh, and while I'm flaming (1/2 :-), why don't you learn to use a shift
key, a spelling checker and a text editor?  Beyond that, a few spaces
after the `.' ending a sentence do wonders for legibility.  Your
grammar is also pretty weak, but I'll pass on that for now.

--
Ross Alexander    rwa@cs.athabascau.ca    (403) 675 6311    ve6pdq
		`You were s'posed to laugh!' -- Zippy

sytang@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Shoou-yu tang) (04/29/91)

In article <8896@crash.cts.com> chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) writes:
>illegaly copied.but if all you need is software and a small cartdrige for
>mac roms instead then this emulator whould sell more.i wish dave small
>would wake yp excuse me up and sell us technology that is truely cheap
>instead of sticking to use when he does not have to.if all we need is mac
>----
>ProLine:  chuckie@pro-odyssey
>Internet: chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com
>UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie
>ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie@nosc.mil

 The Spectre and Spectre GCR is a cartidge to hold the Mac ROM and a software
 driver to interface the ROM to ST. So it already is doing the legal way. The
 only other legal way to emulate Mac without the ROM at this time is a company
 in CA. just annouced not too long ago that they have a clean room clone MAC OS
 which have not legally tested. ( i.e. Apple have not file any law suit nor the
 court has say it's not infringe Apple's right. They are waiting to see who is
 going to take the first shot from Apple). There is no cheaper solution until
 that clone ROM pass its legal challnge, and Mr. Small is not big enough to
 take that chance. ( Beside it's better for him to spend time in making better
 products for ST rather than spend time in court, Don't you think so?)
 Well, just my 2 cents.
 Tang
 sytang@lamar.colostate.edu