[comp.sys.atari.st] Brier/Insite SCSI floppy technology

kiki@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jack W. Wine) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr29.235515.17554@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Van Snyder) writes:

>Brier Technology, 2363 Bering Drive, San Jose, CA 95131, 408/435-8463 has an
>entirely magnetic (not optical) drive that puts 20 Mb formatted on a special
>3.5" floppy.  It can read "IBM formatted floppy disks," whatever that means:
>720, 1.44, 2.88?  They will soon have one also able to write "IBM formatted
>floppy disks."

This SCSI floppy stuff is getting more complicated!  Does the magnetic or
optical methods have any intrinsic advantage over the other?  When will
the drives be available and at what price?  If anyone can make a local
call to Brier and find out, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested,
since about 15 people answered my inquiry for SCSI floppy information.

>Brier, Sony, Insite and maybe a few others are trying to get a high density
>floppy standard promulgated.

Since there will be two VHD drive technologies, won't this turn out to be
something like the Beta-VHS dual standards?  Usenet might be a good place
to take a vote about this, so that we don't end up with a split market.

Jack