[comp.sys.atari.st] StTeX

FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET (01/07/87)

Maybe this should go to TeXHAX.  Anyway, in Vol 7 No 3 of TUGboat, they
mention two versions of TeX for the ST, both from Germany.  I was wondering
if anyone has tried either of these, or knows anything about them other
than what was said in TUGboat.  If anyone knows of other versions floating
around I'd be glad to hear about them.
Incidentally, concerning the "new-style" color monitors, I have seen a
couple in use at the local distributor and I didn't notice any obvious
difference between their display and my "old-style" monitor display.
Someone was playing with the magicmtn and puppy pictures in DEGAS Elite.
I will have to take a closer look at them next time but they seemed fine
to me.  Maybe quality control leaves something to be desired.

jmorton@euler.Berkeley.EDU (John Willard Morton) (01/08/87)

>Incidentally, concerning the "new-style" color monitors, I have seen a
>couple in use at the local distributor and I didn't notice any obvious
>difference between their display and my "old-style" monitor display.

When I saw this monitor discussion on the net I trotted down to where I
got my ST - I had them set up the 2 monitors on 2 ST's for comparison.
My choice for a good quick check is to bring up Neochrome's palette grid
display box, which shows all 512 colors.  I found that on the new (Goldstar)
monitor there are approx. 8 to 10 boxes around 000 which are indistinguish-
able from black  and from each other - I cannot detect their borders.  The
old (JVC) monitor lets me see them all as seperate colors.

The other thing is to compare the white background used behind text:  the
JVC's is definitely brighter and whiter, when you see them together.

It appears to me that both problems would go away if you could simply turn
the brightness knob another 1/4 turn - but I guess that's sort of like
making your car go faster by cutting out the floorboard under the gas pedal!

XXXX     XXXXXXX     XXX
 XXX-----XXXXXXX-----XXX----------------------------------------|____
  XX-----XXXXXXX-----XXX----------------------------------------|
  XX     XXXXXXXxxxxxXXX		6" verynear
  XX     XX
   X     X   John Morton	{decvax, cbosgd}!ucbvax!euler!jmorton
   X     X   Machine Shop
   X     X   1168 Etcheverry  Hall, University of Calif.
   X     X   Berkeley, CA  94720

phr@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU (Paul Rubin) (01/09/87)

In article <8701072316.AA28620@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET writes:
>Maybe this should go to TeXHAX.  Anyway, in Vol 7 No 3 of TUGboat, they
>mention two versions of TeX for the ST, both from Germany.  I was wondering
>if anyone has tried either of these, or knows anything about them other
>than what was said in TUGboat.  If anyone knows of other versions floating
>around I'd be glad to hear about them.

Pat Monardo at Berkeley has recently translated TeX from Web into C.
This is a complete *hand* translation (can anyone say "masochist"?)
and the result uses good C programming style.  He announced it on
comp.text a few days ago.  It is available for free FTP and has
GNU-like copying permission terms.  It ought to be straightforward to
run it on the ST.  There are already suitable printer drivers in the
normal Unix TeX distribution, and a DVI previewer that's comes with
the X window system, all of which could be ported.  Anyone interested?
I'd get started, but I still don't have an ST.

UNI215@DBNRHRZ1.BITNET (03/16/87)

I dont remember who asked (I think it was in Digest 95). The
answer is NO. I asked Tools here in Bonn: there is today no dealer
in the US dealing the ST-TeX. If there's  interest, I'll ask them
for further information (and maybe a demo) and mail it.

Heribert   (Bonn, W-Germany)    UNI215@DBNRHRZ1 BITNET

BTW Can anybody tell me what is comp.sources.atari.st, and if it is
what I think, how I can access it from Bitnet?

cjy@hcx.uucp (Calvin Yockey) (08/03/89)

Can someone tell me what files I must 'get' from 'terminator' to set up
minimal TeX capabilities on my ST?

Thanks in advance.
				Calvin Yockey
				cjy@hcx.uucp
				University of Arkansas

marshall@cs.uq.oz.au (Marshall Harris (G.M.)) (05/01/91)

I am very confused! Looking at atari.archive I found lots of stuff relating
to TeX.
As a TeX ignoramus, I don't know what the latest stuff is.
I would like to run Latex on my 1040ST (TOS1.0), 1MB,mono , and also preview the
files. I don't necessarily need to print locally.
I remember someone saying there was something for the St similar to fig. Is
that at atari.archive?
Also, someone said stuff can be downloaded from forwiss.uni.-passau.de
What is the numeric address, please?

		  		         || Marshall Harris
Internet/CSnet:     marshall@cs.uq.oz.au || Dept.of Computer Science
JANET:    marshall%cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc || University of Queensland
EAN:                marshall@cs.uq.oz.au || St Lucia, Queensland 4072
Bitnet:marshall%cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net || Australia
UUCP: uunet!munnari!cs.uq.oz.au!marshall || ph:  +61 7 365 2908
JUNET:              marshall@cs.uq.oz.au ||
 	   "If you want to make god laugh, show him your plans"
	                   Woody Allen