[comp.sys.atari.st] SCSI floppy drivers

kiki@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (04/27/91)

Many people have informed me that the ICD drivers have a good chance of working
with the SCSI floppies, so ICD was contacted.

Howard Peters, systems programmer of ICD [(815) 968-2228, FAX: (815) 968-6888]
stated that while he was unsure whether current ICD drivers and utilities are
compatible with the TEAC SCSI floppy, it would be very easy to configure them
for that drive.  He also said that he would make any necessary adjustments to
the present software, when he receives the TEAC SCSI manual [FC1-01 Software].
If anyone has access to GEnie or CompuServe, please confirm this with their
online personnel and note the TEAC FAX number (213) 727-7621 so that Mr. Peters
may obtain the manual.

This is very nice of Mr. Peters and ICD, Inc., so I hope everyone finds some
way to thank him and his company!

If anyone has ordered the TEAC SCSI floppy drive, please inform the net and
also let us know about compatibility with current software drivers and util-
ities.  Also, if anyone has contacted other disk drive manufacturers, please
post your findings regarding 3.5" SCSI floppies [manufacturer, model #, manual,
distributors], in order to eliminate redundancy.

Thanks,
Jack

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (04/30/91)

>...  Also, if anyone has contacted other disk drive manufacturers, please
>post your findings regarding 3.5" SCSI floppies [manufacturer, model #, manual,
>distributors], in order to eliminate redundancy.

Brier Technology, 2363 Bering Drive, San Jose, CA 95131, 408/435-8463 has an
entirely magnetic (not optical) drive that puts 20 Mb formatted on a special
3.5" floppy.  It can read "IBM formatted floppy disks," whatever that means:
720, 1.44, 2.88?  They will soon have one also able to write "IBM formatted
floppy disks."

Brier, Sony, Insite and maybe a few others are trying to get a high density
floppy standard promulgated.

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (05/02/91)

In <12670@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> kiki@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu writes:

>Many people have informed me that the ICD drivers have a good chance of working
>with the SCSI floppies, so ICD was contacted.

[The basic word is they are very positive about it happening]

>This is very nice of Mr. Peters and ICD, Inc., so I hope everyone finds some
>way to thank him and his company!

Keep up the good work, ICD!
I'll start saying thankyou by buying one of their controllers.
(symbolic gesture)

>If anyone has ordered the TEAC SCSI floppy drive, please inform the net and
>also let us know about compatibility with current software drivers and util-
>ities.  Also, if anyone has contacted other disk drive manufacturers, please
>post your findings regarding 3.5" SCSI floppies [manufacturer, model #, manual,
>distributors], in order to eliminate redundancy.

Please also mention external dimensions of the drives, whether they are
half-height, third-height or quarter-height. ( 1.5"  1.0"  0.75" respectively ).
I think this SCSI thing is a very good idea, it might well replace entirely the
Shugart floppy bus within a few years, at least in new systems.

--
Adam David.  (adamd@rhi.hi.is)